Author Topic: How do I worry less about money from a job and focus on doing the job?  (Read 2654 times)

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My question is the following: Previously I had a full time job that was temporary and ended in December. I was making an average of $3,500 a month. Something I wasn't even used to. My first real job. I think I was more excited about the money and seeing my YNAB (You Need A Budget) graph grow. How do I make sure that when I land my next job I worry less about money given my low living expenses and instead focus on doing the job properly and letting the money just do it's job? Currently I'm making about half that amount (see below) as a substitute teacher instead of a full time teacher. In the hiring season I want to make sure to not get over-eager about the salary and do the job effectively to stay.

Currently my living expenses aren't that much. I make around $950 bi-weekly ($1900) each month. This is after taxes and such are taken out. I contribute $175 a month to a Northwestern Mutual Whole Term Life Insurance policy. I'd like to not do that but living under my parent's roof I don't have much of a choice. My obligations is that I chip in $50 for gas, $60 for my cell phone plan, and $50 for groceries (I go to the store once a week for my family). So with everything $335. Then chip in some personal spending on food out which can be between $75-100 a month. I have a credit card bill of $300-$600, some of which I'm reimbursed for by my parents. My savings rate ranges from 60%-80% which is obviously great.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
Can you explain why you have to have a whole life policy?

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Not sure exactly why, I was just told by my parents to pay into it and their Northwestern Mutual guy would explain it sometime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ender

• Walrus Stache
I don't really understand your question.

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How do I worry less about making money and more on ensuring my money is being used and invested the right way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
I think I was more excited about the money and seeing my YNAB (You Need A Budget) graph grow. How do I make sure that when I land my next job I worry less about money given my low living expenses and instead focus on doing the job properly and letting the money just do it's job?

Making a good paycheque is always a great feeling but I'm a little confused with what the issue is here? Are you saying that with the good money you were spending so much time tracking your YNAB that it may have been impacting your work?

If anything I would think that receiving a good income would be an effective motivator to do the job well.

Just looking for clarification

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
I read the problem as “Sometimes I care more about the money than about the kids I work with, and I don’t like that feeling. How do I focus on doing a good job regardless of the amount I make?”

If that’s your question, then remind yourself why you got into teaching in the first place. Don’t look so frequently at YNAB or your charts. Maybe give yourself a limit of only checking once per wee. Identify the things in life that bring meaning or joy to you, then start to work those things into your current life.

As an aside, if you are single and mobile and have a proper teaching license, have you ever considered going on the international school circuit? USD $4000-$6000 monthly after tax salary, free housing, free flights home once per year...it’s a great way to turbo charge your stache. There’s a high demand for qualified teachers and you get good job experience. Jobs are quite plentiful.

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I think I was more excited about the money and seeing my YNAB (You Need A Budget) graph grow. How do I make sure that when I land my next job I worry less about money given my low living expenses and instead focus on doing the job properly and letting the money just do it's job?

Making a good paycheque is always a great feeling but I'm a little confused with what the issue is here? Are you saying that with the good money you were spending so much time tracking your YNAB that it may have been impacting your work?

If anything I would think that receiving a good income would be an effective motivator to do the job well.

Just looking for clarification

Yeah sure thing. So it wasn’t so much of that I was spending too much time in YNAB, it was more so that my mentality was to get to the next paycheck. Granted in full disclosure that position was not a great place to be in. Maybe the paycheck was holding me through. I think now I will put my effort into the job and have the reward being the students and improvement/progress along with the paycheck being nice fruits for my labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I read the problem as “Sometimes I care more about the money than about the kids I work with, and I don’t like that feeling. How do I focus on doing a good job regardless of the amount I make?”

If that’s your question, then remind yourself why you got into teaching in the first place. Don’t look so frequently at YNAB or your charts. Maybe give yourself a limit of only checking once per wee. Identify the things in life that bring meaning or joy to you, then start to work those things into your current life.

As an aside, if you are single and mobile and have a proper teaching license, have you ever considered going on the international school circuit? USD $4000-$6000 monthly after tax salary, free housing, free flights home once per year...it’s a great way to turbo charge your stache. There’s a high demand for qualified teachers and you get good job experience. Jobs are quite plentiful.

You kinda nailed it. As I said above, that teaching g job had several things wrong with it. The salary certainly made it worth sticking with but ultimately the school and position I was thrown into made things insanely difficult. An uphill battle to say the least. I am single and have a teaching license. I’d love to go abroad to teach. 2 things though. My language skills are not good so I’d seek out English speaking countries or positions. 2) I’m a part of a scholarship program that requires me to teach in schools of need on state for 5 years. I have 7 years to do it. So I’d do it after I get those years done or as a break in between.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache

You kinda nailed it. As I said above, that teaching g job had several things wrong with it. The salary certainly made it worth sticking with but ultimately the school and position I was thrown into made things insanely difficult. An uphill battle to say the least. I am single and have a teaching license. I’d love to go abroad to teach. 2 things though. My language skills are not good so I’d seek out English speaking countries or positions. 2) I’m a part of a scholarship program that requires me to teach in schools of need on state for 5 years. I have 7 years to do it. So I’d do it after I get those years done or as a break in between.

Definitely keep it in mind then. In international schools, it’s all taught in English. You don’t need to know any other language. Even in China, many of the international school teachers can’t speak a word of Chinese. It doesn’t matter. The school will take care of you and provide personnel to help you navigate the ins and outs of living in the foreign country. PM me if you want more info.