Author Topic: How do I take credit for a traffic violation ticket?  (Read 4519 times)

gbbi_977

• Stubble
How do I take credit for a traffic violation ticket?
« on: June 02, 2015, 03:19:16 PM »
Hello,

Don't worry, I've already face-punched myself many times over this - I ran a red light (turning left at a busy intersection, in a hurry, blah blah blah - acted selfishly/illegally and turned on red) and got a ticket for $100. Not that it's an excuse or makes it better, but it's my first ever traffic violation ticket and I plan to make sure it's my last!!

Anyway, this is my question - the car is registered in DH's name. I've paid the fine (and told the hubby about it - he was very gracious) but I want to know how I can make sure the points go on my license, not on his?

Actually, are points even a thing here? I'm from Australia, where you get a certain number of points per traffic rule violation, and if you go over a certain number, you lose your license.

Is it the same in the US? We're in Illinois. I assume so and if so, how do I make sure those points get allocated to me, not him?

[In case anyone is wondering why it matters...well it probably doesn't. DH has never had so much as a parking ticket, and is a very fastidious/careful/awesome driver. I'm not worried about either of us getting another ticket. I guess it's just the justice of it! And also, he has to renew his license next week and I'm wondering if there'll be extra hoops for him to jump through if they think he was driving.]

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: How do I take credit for a traffic violation ticket?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 03:29:47 PM »
This must have been a red light camera ticket, or presumably the cop would have written your name on it.

In my state (Florida), camera tickets are not "real" tickets unless you don't pay them and they get escalated through the courts.  So no points from them, usually.  But that could vary by state.

Regardless, I don't think a single paid minor violation would cause much of a problem with renewing a license.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:35:23 PM »
Yes, it was the vehicle that was ticketed, not the driver...coming from someone who was a repeat IL customer...at the same intersection...in the same lane! 
Fortunately they were both related to a gift I was getting for my wife as opposed to visiting a mistress so suddenly all was forgiven!

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 07:40:23 PM »
It works the same way here in Canada.  The registered owner gets the fine, but no one gets points off their license, since anyone could have been driving.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »
I ran a red light  and got a ticket for $100.

Holy smokes that's cheap. A red light violation in California is $490 as of this moment. (add another $100 or so in processing fees if you don't want to go to court in the middle of a workday + request traffic school to avoid points which would increase your insurance + pay for said traffic school)

The common thing cities do in California is install a red-light camera, and then change the timing of the signal by 1 second. Instead of a 4-second yellow which was there for decades, you now have a 3-second yellow, and EVERYONE that's been driving through this intersection for as long as they can remember now gets a ticket.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 12:34:45 PM »
Does your town not have the lawyer ticket fix it stuff?

Vegas has billboards everywhere for companies that take care of your traffic tickets for you: https://www.google.com/search?q=vegas+fix+ticket

They send a lawyer to negotiate the ticket down, and basically know all the people so they deals pre-struck depending on the problem.

I've only gotten one ticket in the last 8 years of living here, failure to come to a complete stop when turning right at a red light.  (Psshh, I was completely safe, and basically stopped.  The cop disagreed and said I was going a mile or two and "rolled through" it.  Whatever.)

I paid one of those random companies, it got reduced from a moving violation down to a parking violation, doesn't go on my record, doesn't give me any points or traffic school, and the reduction in ticket cost more than covered their fee! Win-win-win.

I'd Google for your town and companies that do that.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 01:01:42 PM »
Does your town not have the lawyer ticket fix it stuff?

Vegas has billboards everywhere for companies that take care of your traffic tickets for you: https://www.google.com/search?q=vegas+fix+ticket

They send a lawyer to negotiate the ticket down, and basically know all the people so they deals pre-struck depending on the problem.

I've only gotten one ticket in the last 8 years of living here, failure to come to a complete stop when turning right at a red light.  (Psshh, I was completely safe, and basically stopped.  The cop disagreed and said I was going a mile or two and "rolled through" it.  Whatever.)

I paid one of those random companies, it got reduced from a moving violation down to a parking violation, doesn't go on my record, doesn't give me any points or traffic school, and the reduction in ticket cost more than covered their fee! Win-win-win.

I'd Google for your town and companies that do that.

These services are generally only worth the cost if there are demerit points related to the charge. In nearly every jurisdiction I'm aware photo tickets don't carry demerit points and for this reason they don't affect your license or driving record.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 01:14:55 PM »
These services are generally only worth the cost if there are demerit points related to the charge. In nearly every jurisdiction I'm aware photo tickets don't carry demerit points and for this reason they don't affect your license or driving record.

Makes sense. Thanks!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.