Author Topic: How do I sell my frequent flier miles? Is that a good idea?  (Read 2459 times)

cyndre4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How do I sell my frequent flier miles? Is that a good idea?
« on: April 25, 2016, 04:23:19 PM »
Hey all,
I'm working hard to pay down a significant debt I took on to build a tiny house. I just discovered that I can sell my frequent flier miles. My goal is to try my best to destroy this debt this year, so I'm not worried about not using them for travel. Any ideas? Suggestions? Or is this a terrible idea?
I've found a lot of websites that profess to buy miles, but I have no idea what's legit. Help!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Re: How do I sell my frequent flier miles? Is that a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 08:22:24 PM »
I wouldn't want to get in trouble with the airlines by selling my miles, but a guy I know (ahem) occasionally buys tickets for friends and family, who reimburse him at a previously-agreed-upon price (two cents a mile plus taxes/fees).

I'm not sure he would want to sell his miles to strangers on possibly dodgy websites.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 08:47:58 AM »
I wouldn't want to get in trouble with the airlines by selling my miles, but a guy I know (ahem) occasionally buys tickets for friends and family, who reimburse him at a previously-agreed-upon price (two cents a mile plus taxes/fees).

I did this once. Friend got a cheaper ticket. I got money for miles I had trouble using. Win/win.

cyndre4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:43:24 PM »
Ok, sounds like buying with my own miles on someone else's behalf is possible. Does anyone know how to actually sell miles who's done it?

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 10:51:17 PM »
I dont think selling miles is ok with most airlines and you may get penalised some how?

but could you possibly use your miles to buy vouchers (I know you can do it in Australia) for grocery shopping ect? then use that money that you would have spent on food to pay down debt