Author Topic: How do I negotiate a raise?  (Read 2393 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
How do I negotiate a raise?
« on: September 29, 2016, 03:43:45 PM »
A bit of background:

I've been at this company for a little over a year. When I started, I tried to negotiate the salary, but was told "This is what position X starts at and it's not negotiable." Once I started, I realized I replaced 1.5 other people, due to the restructuring of regions prior to my hiring. I cover a larger geographical area and carry literally double the caseload of all others in my department. In the meantime, case requirements have gotten much more stringent, thereby increasing the work required. My boss is awesome, and very sympathetic. He assigned a bunch more cases to me today, and said more are in the queue. He also informed me that he plans to speak with the Big Boss next week about my caseload and encouraged me to do what I can and not get too overwhelmed in the meantime.

Now, he has spoken with Big Boss in the past about hiring another person, to no avail.  Big Boss seems nice and all, but company has run into major financial issues this year, with lots of layoffs this summer. My dept. so far has remained unaffected.

Also, they took away my mileage reimbursement and ordered me to use a company vehicle, essentially resulting in a 7k pay cut (aside from wear & tear and depreciation on my 12 yr old 35mpg vehicle). Due to geography and logistics, I'm the only one required to do this.

So now that I've written that novel, what is a good strategy here? It's a hell of a lot of work for only one person, but I've been busting my ass this month and keeping things moving. I feel anyone who looks at my cases would be pleased. I've gotten good feedback from my boss, and from coworkers who are affected by my work. I'm not sure how sustainable it all is, though, if cases keep coming fast and furious. Should I request a raise based on doing twice the work of anyone else? Should I offer to work more hours in exchange for more pay? (We are all salary and OT does not exist) What if the answer is a flat NO?

Please help me, business-savvy business people!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: How do I negotiate a raise?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 04:07:12 PM »
If it's a decent company, it is NOT in their interest to overwork you, burn you out, and have you crash, burn, and leave.

I would go in with all your info - ie, the financial difference caused by not using your car, etc - and say you are looking for a reasonable solution. Have in mind what you want, but wait to see what they say/offer.

At the end of the day, if you want to leave, that's one thing. If you don't, they sort've have the upper hand. Of course, never mention the nuclear option if it isn't an option - it can backfire.

IMHO with work, as with everything else, be open and honest. If a place is not one where you can be open and honest, do you want to be there?

Having financial issues is a different thing, though. If THEY are going to crash and burn, you absolutely want to make sure you get compensated NOW. If you do loads of extra work in the hope of something in the future but they go under...

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 04:13:58 PM »
I am assuming this is a corporate position, so if it isn't, disregard all that follows.  A corporate position means there are more than 10 people in your HR department.

Find out when the review period takes place.

2-3 weeks prior to the start of the review period, schedule a one on one with your boss for 15 minutes.

Bring your job description, any job competencies and any goals you had when you started the position.

Walk your boss through your excellent performance in the critical areas.  Discuss the value you add, including your quantity and quality of work.  If you have any benchmarks you can demonstrably exceed, do that too.

Then explain that you understand the review period is coming, and then give your expectations.  Also, ask what is necessary for you to be promoted to the next position in the job family (assuming there is a job family).

This next thing is critical.  Make the request reasonable.

Basically you need to get ahead of the decision, then present a business case for why you are worth more than you are paid.  KEEP THE EMOTIONS OUT OF IT and be friendly.

Good luck!

There's a fair chance that your boss wants to pay you more but can't due to budget or other corporate overlord BS. 

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »
Leave the mileage reimbursement out of the discussion, it will only distract, and since you're using a company car, I don't think you have solid footing there.

Whatever you decide, just remember the only things that really matter in a negotiation are your value (from their perspective), and your willingness to walk (or at least the perception of this).  If you're not willing to walk, you're asking, not negotiating.  It's the power of FU money :)   

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 05:05:44 AM »
Get a better offer from another firm.

Tell your boss what salary you will require from them to retain you.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 05:28:45 AM »
Thanks, all! I have applied for a few other positions outside this company but haven't gotten any bites. I carry the family's health ins, so up and quitting is not an option. So it makes sense that this would be an "ask" rather than a negotiation.

I've never had a formal review, and I don't know when one will be held. The new CEO recently announced that these will be implemented soon.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!