Author Topic: How do I get rid of this (roof rat?)?  (Read 27919 times)

misshathaway

• Bristles
Re: How do I get rid of this (roof rat?)?
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2018, 10:12:29 AM »
Maybe this was just a 'sentry' that was sent to investigate.

Don't volunteer for anything.

I just finished a 5 day surveil of my basement, where I had mice, chipmunks and rats for years. Temporarily repositioned a security camera down there at all different angles. Happy to report that all I have now is moths.

Painted the basement and in the process of doing that I found and plugged every single possible hole with steel wool and rags. It was so so gross since some former entrances still had mouse fur on the edges, and a poop trail. It was worth it though. You too will prevail!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2018, 02:05:17 PM »
Just a quick update in case anyone is interested... there's still at least one more rat out there that occasionally shows up. This one is definitely the smart one - it just peeks its head out from the notch every now and then but won't venture further. Actually, the other night I was woken up to some super loud noise as the traps went off. I thought it was a big rat that had gotten away. In reviewing the footage, it was a darned CAT! I'm not sure if the cat smelled the scent of the rats around the trap or if the traps/baits themselves were interesting but it ended up pawing at them and setting them off! Fortunately it was able to shake the traps off:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KwVCGacQK6jSuHKh8

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2018, 02:12:54 PM »
Still interested! Sort of a gruesome fascination really. Happy hunting .

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2018, 03:26:31 PM »
Still interested! Sort of a gruesome fascination really. Happy hunting .

Yes, we're still interested! Keep posting.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »
I figured the cat one would be interesting and was contemplating whether or not to share it, as some of you cat lovers out there may abhor it and might be offended. But as a dog lover, I figured why the heck not...LOL! Just kidding... I got over my fascination with owning a dog after signing up to volunteer at the local animal shelter, attending orientation, and not stepping foot back in ever since (and subsequently having my volunteer status revoked). This not because I decided it wasn't for me but more so because at the time we were expecting our first child and priorities shifted. Anyway, I digress. I will continue to post updates every now and then, and hopefully with some dead rat pics/vids for your viewing pleasure. :D

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2018, 01:27:54 PM »
Got another one this morning! Not sure if this is the one rat was always cautious but it was definitely a larger one:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A6stUvrpmfD5AZgo6

Raw bacon and peanut butter - it was sitting out for days too haha.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 01:30:23 PM by jeromedawg »

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2018, 12:17:14 AM »
Was that a rat? it looked enormous.  Good catch!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »
Was that a rat? it looked enormous.  Good catch!

Yep - it was definitely on the bigger side too. Hoping it's the same one cautious one that was previously trying to sneak around the traps. I've reset the trap with the same bait in it so we'll see what happens next. 

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2018, 03:49:05 PM »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2018, 10:33:39 PM »
Got another one. This one is going to be nasty because we're  currently out of town so it's going to decompose as-is...not sure what I was thinking but I couldn't stand the thought of not leaving the traps set.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2018, 07:15:10 AM »
These things look HUGE from the pictures.

A normal mouse that dies inside a wall takes 2 weeks to stop smelling. Sad that I know that. But I have no way of knowing the interval between death and first stink. Maybe there is a gap! Hope so for your sake.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
These things look HUGE from the pictures.

A normal mouse that dies inside a wall takes 2 weeks to stop smelling. Sad that I know that. But I have no way of knowing the interval between death and first stink. Maybe there is a gap! Hope so for your sake.

From nose to tail these are probably at least 10-12 or more inches on average. Pretty disgusting... I'm pretty sure it's just going to stink bad by the time we're back. I'll probably just need to make a water/bleach mixture in the garden pump sprayer, hose down the area, spray and let sit, then hose down again and hope it's OK if it's really that bad.

Video of the action: https://photos.app.goo.gl/o65z1uPGt2CtogUD6

I think I've figured out the secret to increasing the effectiveness of these traps and that is to 'funnel' the rats into the baited area, else they are cautious enough to go around and hop over the other side. Once I started blocking the back-side of the trap off (using the scrap pieces of 2x4s as seen in the pics and vids) the rats were forced to try to jump or step over the baited part, if they weren't interested in the food, and were almost always stepping on the trigger plate.
I think I've only seen one instance of a rat actually going for the bait and getting caught versus all the other times where the rats just tried to step or jump over/through the trap.
So if you can force them to step through the baited side you'll almost always get them. This I think is particularly effective when dealing with rats who are taking advantage of natural narrow passage ways between two walls. Since I could move the shed further out, this was even better as I could line the traps up perpendicular between the shed and the wall. And then easily drop the 2x4 scraps into create the funnel
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 04:08:35 PM by jeromedawg »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2018, 04:28:46 PM »
I totally thought I posted this other one but I guess I didn't (or I just can't find the post):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FByAk2jtPrdFWzou5

That was a young one I got earlier in October. Definitely smaller than these most recent two.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2018, 06:50:41 AM »
I just got a basement French drain put in this past summer. And since the basement was completely torn up and everything moved away from the walls I took the opportunity to plug any hole with steel wool or hardware cloth. I put a camera down there for a week afterward and nothing moved except moths. Yesterday I was sweeping and washing the floor and I found a couple of mouse turds and dirt spray coming from a section of the French drain behind the furnace. Even though the drain space is only a 1/2 inch along the perimeter of the wall, for about 6 inches behind the furnace it is about 1 inch wide. They are coming up through the French drain there!! Arghhhh.

I put a poison bait there to see if they take it. I am so disappointed. I was mouse-free for approximately 3 months, while they regrouped. The only way I can fix this is by hardware-clothing that opening and eventually the entire perimeter of the basement.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »
I just got a basement French drain put in this past summer. And since the basement was completely torn up and everything moved away from the walls I took the opportunity to plug any hole with steel wool or hardware cloth. I put a camera down there for a week afterward and nothing moved except moths. Yesterday I was sweeping and washing the floor and I found a couple of mouse turds and dirt spray coming from a section of the French drain behind the furnace. Even though the drain space is only a 1/2 inch along the perimeter of the wall, for about 6 inches behind the furnace it is about 1 inch wide. They are coming up through the French drain there!! Arghhhh.

I put a poison bait there to see if they take it. I am so disappointed. I was mouse-free for approximately 3 months, while they regrouped. The only way I can fix this is by hardware-clothing that opening and eventually the entire perimeter of the basement.

Ugh... my brother had a mouse issue too. His house is a mouse-haven because they have so much crap and junk laying around. He saw at least three mice running around so laid some traps out and got them. He thinks that was all of them but who knows. He was blaming it on the neighbor cutting down their ivy, which "forced" the mice to find refuge. I just think they had mice in their house the whole time because he said they saw one prior to all that and even hired and exterminator. Every time he said he saw a mouse in a certain area, he would say "oh yea and there was a cracker [or candy] sitting behind in that area." I'm sure there are more mice in his house and he has no idea. He left the traps sitting out too when we brought our kids over...smh. I told him about how when we were visiting a friend, my son picked up a *SET* RAT (not mouse) trap and brought it over to show me. Our friend was super embarrassed and felt awful about it...rightly so as my son could have lost his finger(s). We are so fortunate the trap didn't go off. Supposedly they had a possum in their house(!!!) and had tried trapping it but this was a while back and they apparently forgot about the trap. They put it inside an old Amazon shipping box and my son just happened to go exploring and find it. Granted, mice traps are much smaller but knowing someone has set traps in their house while our kids are there takes things to another level.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:39:37 AM by jeromedawg »

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2018, 06:59:05 AM »

Ugh... my brother had a mouse issue too. His house is a mouse-haven because they have so much crap and junk laying around. He saw at least three mice running around so laid some traps out and got them. He thinks that was all of them but who knows.

Nope. Traps are not the answer unless you can buy enough for the whole outdoors. It probably makes it even worse because you are culling the most stupid ones so more food for everyone else and the smarter ones breed smarter future pests.

I am glad I am not a parent. Who is going to think about possible rat traps and poison when visiting a friend?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2021, 01:37:11 PM »
So glad to report I'm out of that last place - no more of those rats to deal with. Since I had last posted, I think I caught over half a dozen more rats -

The Archives (lol) - WARNING: GRAPHIC MATERIAL!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f5Eqc6EbUdyPRd137

Anyway, we sold the place last August (2020) but just closed escrow on a new place last month. We're renting it back to the sellers now but we should be getting the keys on 10/2 and per a short check-in last week (had to get a couple quotes for things to do), we apparently might have new friends to deal with...

...To be continued...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2021, 02:06:02 PM »
OMG, I didn't realize this old rat thread was yours when I posted in your new rat thread!

I can't believe you have to deal with rats again!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2021, 02:49:59 PM »
OMG, I didn't realize this old rat thread was yours when I posted in your new rat thread!

I can't believe you have to deal with rats again!

Yea, I forgot about this gem of a thread. Time to bring it back to life hahahaha

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »
Just do the 5 gallon bucket thing...it is so simple and so amazing.

Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of water.  Float raw sunflower seeds on the surface of the water thick enough that the water is totally covered.   Lean a small board against the lip of the bucket to make a ramp.

The next morning, dump the 5 or 6 mice that have Geronimo'd into your bucket out in the woods somewhere.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2021, 03:07:57 PM »

Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of water.  Float raw sunflower seeds on the surface of the water thick enough that the water is totally covered.   Lean a small board against the lip of the bucket to make a ramp.

The next morning, dump the 5 or 6 mice that have Geronimo'd into your bucket out in the woods somewhere.

I tried this at our last place and it didn't work at all. After having much success with the snap traps, it's easier just to set those up versus the 5 gallon contraption that wasn't even working. If I have to deal with these things again on my own, I'm going with snap traps and or an electric shock trap for indoors.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 03:11:43 PM by jeromedawg »

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2021, 03:25:15 PM »
California mice must be smarter than Washington mice!   I have had so much success with the bucket thing I don't use anything else...and I don't have to worry about cats eating the poison or something.   Snap traps do sometimes work though.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2021, 03:38:12 PM »
California mice must be smarter than Washington mice!   I have had so much success with the bucket thing I don't use anything else...and I don't have to worry about cats eating the poison or something.   Snap traps do sometimes work though.

Rats are not mice. Rats are orders of magnitude smarter than mice. Mice are dumb fuck stupid.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2021, 03:49:41 PM »
Yea, for mice I've heard the bucket traps work very well. What we're dealing with here has been rats though. I had to go through several iterations of snap trap strategies/layouts before I was actually catching these things consistently. The ones I dealt with at the last place were on the larger side so the Victor snap traps weren't cutting it - I think the rats were just too big/strong for the jaw to even clamp them and if they did get caught they could just force their way out of it. The plastic Tomcat traps were far more effective, especially when used in series. Basically I had it down to where I was leveraging the narrow passageway they were already traveling and setting the traps, in series, along that path. I would "funnel" them into the traps by forcing them to try to squeeze by an even narrower area (which is where the traps were, facing the wall, and blocking the back of the traps off so they couldn't go around or behind the trap. Almost all of the time they would set one or both traps off (they were spaced about 4-5" apart from one another):

Hard to tell but there's another trap on the other side of that wood block. The wood block is there to prevent them from jumping over the back of the traps. This is the "funnel" scenario I'm referring to.

If you give them any space they'll just jump over or go around the traps in most cases. Forcing them to jump over one trap, with another trap on the other side, is normally what did the trick. Adding peanut butter with goodies (seeds, bacon, cheese, etc) buried inside was also key - this forced them to really go at it and spend more time "indulging" which increases the likelihood of getting a good clamp on them.

The only downside to this was that I'd get woken up usually sometime between midnight and 4am any given night to the sound of the trap thrashing around... kind of like an alarm clock but a lot more disturbing hahaha. This was right outside the sliding glass door of our master bedroom, so it couldn't have been any more than 10-15' away
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 04:10:32 PM by jeromedawg »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2021, 08:50:17 PM »
Well, it's confirmed... rat(s) at the new place. We were there today cleaning up and my wife was outside when she saw something scurry across the kitchen floor with a LONG TAIL. They are entering/exiting through the undersides of the lower cabinets. There's probably one or two nests in the place by now.

I'm going back to setup at least several snap traps. I want to TRY to get one before they fumigate tomorrow... smh

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2021, 09:47:59 PM »
Are they the same rats?  Did you notice any tiny luggage?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2021, 10:47:50 PM »
Are they the same rats?  Did you notice any tiny luggage?

I went back to the house earlier tonight armed with the traps and was walking upstairs to turn off a light that we left on earlier... Thats when I saw the MFer scurry into the loft. I quietly walked back downstairs to grab some weapons. All I could find was a rubber mallet and bug zapper racket. Wth?! Anyway, I grabbed both and my handheld flashlight and slowly walked back up wondering how the hell I'm supposed to juggle a handheld flashlight, rubber mallet, and bug zapper in my two hands while trying to kill a friggin rat. Needless to say, I had it 'cornered' behind a door and tried to coax it out so I could smash it. The plan failed miserably and it raced right around me and downstairs back to the kitchen presumably where it came from. I was too slow to track it. It's times like these I wish I had a cat.

Anyway, I proceeded to serve up 6 traps full of delicious peanut butter, parmesan, turkey bacon, watermelon, and sunflower seeds. I like to go all out for these little bastards. I hope there are rats to clean up tomorrow morning. Else fumigation will get em and we'll be smelling dead rat for the next couple weeks or so. :(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 10:51:11 PM by jeromedawg »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2021, 06:18:14 AM »
Oh you do have the best rat stories.

I am literally laughing over here picturing this one.

TrMama

« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2021, 09:35:06 AM »
Can you get a cat? And/or can you get a Jack Russell Terrier rescue to send you a loaner dog?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2021, 09:49:02 AM »
Can you get a cat? And/or can you get a Jack Russell Terrier rescue to send you a loaner dog?

I think all of this may not matter after they fumigate today. What I'm not fond of is the likelihood that there are old rats' nests in the void spaces of our kitchen cabinets :(

TrMama

« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »

I think all of this may not matter after they fumigate today. What I'm not fond of is the likelihood that there are old rats' nests in the void spaces of our kitchen cabinets :(

Gross. You might be able to pull the kickboards off so you can at least get underneath the cabinets.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2021, 01:38:55 PM »

Gross. You might be able to pull the kickboards off so you can at least get underneath the cabinets.

Good idea, we might just opt to do that. BTW: I had multiple dreams (or nightmares?) of catching rats last night, but when I got the house earlier this AM I was elated because it turns out that I got the little rat bastard after all... well, at least one of them. The little MFer chewed up part of the carpet on the staircase landing, and when I pulled out the oven drawer, there were bits of insulation in random places. So I'm wondering if it was a 'new' rat looking for a place to nest and was in the process of gathering materials. I'm not sure if there are more but I didn't notice any more 'fresh' droppings after cleaning the dead one up and all the other droppings. Yesterday after cleaning up droppings, we saw new ones appear, so I think it was the same rat running around and avoiding us in the process.

Here's an image 'to scale' - I wear a size 9US shoe, which translates to 10.25". This rat was very close if not longer (including the tail).

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 01:41:32 PM by jeromedawg »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2021, 01:48:57 PM »
I am begrudgingly happy for you if this is the end, but I would have loved to follow another heroic rat adventure.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2021, 02:02:48 PM »
I am begrudgingly happy for you if this is the end, but I would have loved to follow another heroic rat adventure.

You want me to call off the fumigation? It's super tempting. Maybe after fumigation I'll leave a bunch of doors open, just like the previous owners, then we can have the next chapter. LOL

I must say that I am impressed by how fast I was able to get this one. I guess my prior experiences helped out a lot. Hmmm, maybe I should start a pest control business...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 02:09:18 PM by jeromedawg »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2021, 05:44:24 PM »

You want me to call off the fumigation? It's super tempting. Maybe after fumigation I'll leave a bunch of doors open, just like the previous owners, then we can have the next chapter. LOL

I must say that I am impressed by how fast I was able to get this one. I guess my prior experiences helped out a lot. Hmmm, maybe I should start a pest control business...

It is quite impressive. You have become a formidable rat hunter, your story of chasing it with ridiculous weapons aside, LOL

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2021, 06:45:51 PM »

I wish I'd known this when I had my farm house.  We went through so many glue traps, and caught the dog and toddler in them a few times. I  do know that baby oil is good for cleaning mouse trap goo off toddlers,  dogs, and various surfaces.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2021, 06:47:00 PM »

It is quite impressive. You have become a formidable rat hunter, your story of chasing it with ridiculous weapons aside, LOL

Getting Kevin McCallister vibes

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2021, 09:46:34 PM »

Getting Kevin McCallister vibes

I thought I was home alone last night... apparently not. I felt the creeps after seeing it scurry across the hallway floor. That image has been forever etched into my brain. The worst part is that our backyard is completely pitch black at night and we have French doors and a kitchen bay window with no shades. I think I'll feel more comfortable once we get some curtains up over the French doors and something to cover up the kitchen window haha.

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2021, 08:25:05 AM »
I had a rat eat my Marigold flowers this year. I kept trying to figure out why a Marigold blooms then disappear after reaching its peak. I set up a camera and found the answer, a rat. I used one of these  live traps outside. I waited until one Marigold peaked, snapped it off, put it in the trap plate, and next morning I had the guy. He was nicely disposed of on the other side of the freeway near me (~ 2 miles). Marigolds bloomed great for the rest of the year!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2021, 12:56:20 PM »
I had a rat eat my Marigold flowers this year. I kept trying to figure out why a Marigold blooms then disappear after reaching its peak. I set up a camera and found the answer, a rat. I used one of these  live traps outside. I waited until one Marigold peaked, snapped it off, put it in the trap plate, and next morning I had the guy. He was nicely disposed of on the other side of the freeway near me (~ 2 miles). Marigolds bloomed great for the rest of the year!

Marigolds! I woul dhave never thought. I'm going to grow some just so I can use those in future traps LOL... that is, if they don't eat all the flowers before I can pick them hahaha.

On that note, for anyone who is interested in keeping up with the latest fallout/aftermath of fumigation and a pre-existing and obviously persistent infestation/nest via pictures, here you go!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SEG6HAg4woPw1ssX7

TrMama

« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2021, 01:07:11 PM »
Oh my, that is so much worse than I thought it would be. I'm extremely impressed with your restraint. If this were my own house I'd have just lit a match and walked away. You should have seen how badly I lost it when a lizard got in the house 2 summers ago.

I bet you have a fairly large hole somewhere that they were using to go in and out. Where else would all those leaves and sticks have come from?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2021, 01:23:29 PM »
Oh my, that is so much worse than I thought it would be. I'm extremely impressed with your restraint. If this were my own house I'd have just lit a match and walked away. You should have seen how badly I lost it when a lizard got in the house 2 summers ago.

I bet you have a fairly large hole somewhere that they were using to go in and out. Where else would all those leaves and sticks have come from?

Well, the owner would leave a french door cracked apparently most of the day. He had a dog so I think it was easier to do that. Half the time we came to look at the place during and after escrow, these French doors were cracked open. So I can't help but think that was part of the problem. We're having a pest company come out tomorrow to inspect otherwise. Not quite sure how we'll handle the cleanup - if it isn't much more worse, we'll probably just DIY it.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2023, 09:22:24 AM »

Here we go....again

>:D

Unfortunately, this one was too light to trip the plate. They are more elusive at this property and have been avoiding my snap traps. Fig butter seems to do the trick in terms of attracting them though (tip from my friend down the street who has been live trapping rats).

NOTE: the live trap pictured was originally intended for squirrels but I've caught some rats in it as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 09:24:54 AM by jeromedawg »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2023, 11:21:49 AM »
Omg, this is my favourite thread ever.

How does one person have so many rat adventures??

Are you still in the same place? The house with all of the problems and the rats that got in because the previous owner left the door open all the time? Am I remembering that right?

So now you have rats in that house again??

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2023, 01:16:55 PM »
That is an outside picture, isn't it?  (For your sake, please let it be an outside picture.)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2023, 03:02:12 PM »
That is an outside picture, isn't it?  (For your sake, please let it be an outside picture.)

Ah, you missed the house thread with all the dead rats inside

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2023, 02:22:48 AM »
Omg, this is my favourite thread ever.

How does one person have so many rat adventures??

Are you still in the same place? The house with all of the problems and the rats that got in because the previous owner left the door open all the time? Am I remembering that right?

So now you have rats in that house again??

Fortunately this one is outside... *Knock on wood*

Yes this is the same house where the owner left the door open all the time for his dog and rats got in. I trapped the mother rat the night before fumigation and the following week found her dead litter (and the remains of the grandparents) after it started smelling foul in the kitchen. I still have PTSD from that experience...

I need to clean the backyard area up though as it's cluttered, and clutter attracts rats ;)