Author Topic: How did you support a small or local business today?  (Read 1675 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
How did you support a small or local business today?
« on: November 11, 2018, 05:43:11 PM »
How did you support a small or local business today?

Sometimes a higher price point feels reasonable if it goes to benefit businesspeople in your community or energetic entrepreneurs starting out.

Mine is that the handle on my manure fork broke, and I could probably buy a cheap replacement at Home Depot, but instead I took it over to the nearby lawnmower maintenance shop that's been there since the 1950s. The man's father started it after he returned from a World War II internment camp.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: How did you support a small or local business today?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 07:18:38 PM »
Nothing today because it's a no spend day, but this is my kind of thread so I want to PTF :-)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »
Nothing today because it's a no spend day, but this is my kind of thread so I want to PTF :-)

Me too!

I had a terribly unmustachian blowout party weekend full of indie/local support, so I'll post about Thu-Sat.

I went to: an indie bookstore; one non-profit local music venue where all the door money went to local musicians; one local/indie music venue where local musicians were playing; one art gallery owned by a friend where a local musician was playing; one local/indie bar where two local musicians were playing.

I don't think I spent any money at all that wasn't going to local artists and business owners :-)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 09:02:08 PM »
Not today, but yesterday I did my grocery shopping at my favourite sketchy place in Chinatown. They finally finished a big renovation project, and now about 40% of the place looks like a real grocery store! I excitedly told my partner all about it when I got home, and now he wants to come with me next time I go. Usually he just gives me cash and I go alone, but it looks like next week we'll have a field trip.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
I loan them money for my job :)

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 01:10:28 PM »
Somebody was asking for recommendations in a networking group I'm in. I sent over 5 local restaurants that would meet their needs and they picked one to have a monthly meeting at. So I didn't directly support them with my own dollars but helping them land new customers seems to be supportive in it's own way. :)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:39:10 PM »
Spent $191.00 at the veterinarian’s office half a mile away.

Also, I always buy heartworm meds from her rather than online. Also, I want that med on my dog’s records.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 12:43:36 PM »
The lone remaining tchotke shop in my neighborhood is closing after Christmas. This, after the owner bitching and moaning for years about her lack of business, lack of support feom neighbors, etc. so I go in there at Holiday time, trying to find something to buy, anything. Just one damn thing to give as a gift. And I dont gift gifts really.

But she didnt t have anything I wanted. Ok, she did carry earrings I liked and at a reasonable price, so I bought a few.  It gads, the dumb stuff she has, and then she personalizes everything with engravings,just ugh. The store deserves to close down.