Author Topic: How did you consolidate your crafting supplies?  (Read 4895 times)

happyfeet

• Stubble
How did you consolidate your crafting supplies?
« on: April 02, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
I have stamping, scrap booking, and jewelry making supplies.  I want to keep some of it but not all.  Any recommendations on how you handles downsizing the craft stuff?  I will Ebay, donate, and CL some things. I want to keep enough stuff to craft but I have too much crap.

CrochetStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How did you consolidate your crafting supplies?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 04:29:49 PM »
Etsy is a big site for selling supplies in addition to selling finished work.

Have a big Supply Swap meeting with others in the area you know who do these similar things. Keeping it all a free swap will bring in more people...make it a Meet n Greet Supply Swap Meeting and you'll bring in possible new members with a need for supplies.

Are there art teachers that could really use the donation?

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 05:55:53 AM »
Etsy is a big site for selling supplies in addition to selling finished work.

Have a big Supply Swap meeting with others in the area you know who do these similar things. Keeping it all a free swap will bring in more people...make it a Meet n Greet Supply Swap Meeting and you'll bring in possible new members with a need for supplies.

Are there art teachers that could really use the donation?
Excellent advice! 

I know I've bought supplies for various projects . . . and those projects are still sitting, untouched in my over-stuffed craft cabinet.  Hosting a "swap" sounds like a great idea.  You'll be able to bring home something you really do want, while ridding yourself of the project that was ill-conceived in the first place.

And donating to an art teacher is also a great idea.  Since used items will sell for pennies on the dollar, the tax write-off might be more valuable in the long run. 

My own idea (weaker than the above) is to simply organize.  I know my stuff's in a mess, and if I were to go through and organize it -- fabric with fabric, scrapbook stuff all together -- so I'd know what I have and could get to it easily, I'd be more likely to use it . . . and less likely to foolishly buy items that I already own. 

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:57:29 AM »
+1 for Etsy.  You could list a few big destash lots of like-craft supplies.  I'd recommend a few smaller lots and a few biggers ones, like a $10 pack of jewelry supplies and a $25 pack of jewelry supplies.  List them and then put the word out to your friends that you are selling them.  You could also list the Etsy links on craigslist in your area and arrange for local pickup.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 01:56:26 PM »
I have a Christmas craft party with my fellow crafty friends. You could decide on a group project (i.e. everyone makes ornaments or jewelry or something) and pool craft supplies to use things up. Also this can be an informal craft swap/giveaway and participants can bring unused craft supplies for others to snag.

MustacheMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:24:02 PM »
I recently downsized my overwhelming amount of scrapbook and craft supplies to something much more manageable.  I used a few existing bins, purchased one container, and made a deal with myself that I could keep only what I could fit inside those storage options.  Everything else went out the door either through eBay sales or donations to various local charities or schools.  If there is a children's hospital or Ronald McDonald House in your area they often will accept donations of craft supplies which they use with the kids.  Many preschools and schools are also happy to take donations. 

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »
I recently gave away my yarn stash - I was starting on a big afghan project and didn't want the extra non-afghan yarn cluttering up my closet. I just posted on Freecycle that I had a box of assorted yarn to give away, and it was gone the next day.
Now that the afghan is done and I'm slowly starting to build my stash back up, I've designated one box for it. If/when it outgrows the box, I will use some of it up before acquiring any more. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
Also check out your community arts centres - most run on EXTREMELY tight budgets and rely heavily on donated materials to be able to run any of their classes at all - many of which are free or low-cost to those in the community who need the skills and social interaction . Also, if they can't use your materials, they will probably know who in your community could - if you want to give them away or sell them.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I have a boxed packed up and ready to donate.  My daughter wants me to save the scrap booking stuff for her when she has kids.  So I will pack up that.  Will donate some more stuff too.

Thanks again.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
We moved cross country so it forced me to majorly downsize, but honestly it felt great. I love going out and buying exactly the right fabric for a project rather than having to use up stuff I already had. I know that sounds anti mustacian, but it didn't change what I was spending. It just shifted it from buying something pretty with no project in mind (and thus usually ending up with either too much or too little) to buying the right amount for a specific project.

Here is what I saved:
One small tub fabric
One tub notions, thread, shears, etc
One small tub patterns (mostly vintage ones from my grandma)
One small tub beading stuff
One small tub of everything else including knitting, general crafting like hot glue gun and craft paint

I had scrapbooking stuff but gave it all to the kids for art projects. They should make it through all the stickers in approximately three decades.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »
We did this a while back. We designated a space for each person (a plastic pencil box--we had too many), put all of the art supplies on the table, then everyone chose their favorites until the boxes were full. We had a different bin for construction paper, stickers, glue sticks, etc. that my now older children sometimes use for school projects. 

Everything left was donated to social services/CPS to give to children during the intake process. The social worker cried when she received everything, including unused coloring books, books, unopened crayons, markers, paper, pencils, etc. It filled up the back seat and floor boards of my friend's 4 door sedan.

Um, did I mention we had an art supply problem?