Author Topic: How Can I Send Text Messages for Free?  (Read 4807 times)

Zalo

How Can I Send Text Messages for Free?
« on: December 31, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »
I've been using Google Voice to take my voice messages and let me call people for free through my laptop. Any idea how I can also text for free? (I don't have a smart phone)

_JT

• Stubble

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: How Can I Send Text Messages for Free?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »
You can use google voice to send text messages from your google voice account for free, too.

I normally send texts from my computer because I dislike typing them on my phone, anyways.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »
www.google.com/voice

Just make sure all your contacts are in your google contacts and you are set.

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »
If you have a smartphone: Whatsapp, viber, and probably a dozen others use the magic of the intertubes to send text messages if your contacts play along.

Zalo

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
You can use google voice to send text messages from your google voice account for free, too.

I normally send texts from my computer because I dislike typing them on my phone, anyways.

Can you explain more specifically how to send text messages through Voice? I only see "Call" (above the "inbox" button) when I open Voice up on my laptop.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:47:11 PM by Zalo »

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »
On android phones, you can use Hangouts (part of Google+) to send texts over wifi.  On iPhones, you can use iMessage to communicate with other iPhone users over wifi. 

LauraG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 09:17:32 AM »
Can you explain more specifically how to send text messages through Voice? I only see "Call" (above the "inbox" button) when I open Voice up on my laptop.

It sounds like you're using google voive with your existing phone number. You can only text from GV with a google voice number. Go to GV settings, make sure you're on the "phones" tab, then get a google voice number.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »
I use google voice to text, I love the Chrome extension that lets me text right from the corner of my browser.

HOWEVER - its been my experience that group texts and picture/movie texts that are sent to me simply never get delivered. And when I send a group text on my droid, it gets split into a few separate messages.

So use at your own discretion but I definitely use it to supplement my limited verizon text package.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
Text Plus - gives you a number of your own and everything. Just trying it out myself.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist (and yes I have an Android phone), but I'd want as little as possible *extra* going through Google...

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
I use google voice to text, I love the Chrome extension that lets me text right from the corner of my browser.

HOWEVER - its been my experience that group texts and picture/movie texts that are sent to me simply never get delivered. And when I send a group text on my droid, it gets split into a few separate messages.

So use at your own discretion but I definitely use it to supplement my limited verizon text package.

That's because Google Voice doesn't support MMS (Multimedia), only SMS.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 12:45:21 PM »
I have my cell service through TING. If I get a google voice do I want a new number or just use my cell number? I can't use my cell at work but I can access internet on my laptop. Mainly interested in texting  but phone calls would be nice as well. Trying to save as much money as possible.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!