Author Topic: How Can I Reduce My Internet Costs?  (Read 14833 times)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
How Can I Reduce My Internet Costs?
« on: March 09, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
I live in the DC area.

Comcast increased our rates. We now pay $77 per month. I see people post here all the time, and their prices are often much lower. I recently saw that someone was paying only $33/month.

• Am I stuck with this price because we live in DC?
  • Do I need to call Comcast and threaten to leave to get them to lower my price?
I've looked into some competition, yet the companies were small and I worried about their service. I need the internet to be functional since I work from home a lot.

*Work will not subsidize my internet even though they benefit from my having it.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:54:21 AM by oldtoyota »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Comcast: How Can I Reduce My Internet Costs?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 05:24:13 PM »

Can you downgrade your plan to a slower speed?  On comcast's web site, I see a $50/mo plan for 6mb.  (BUT... new customers often get better prices than existing customers.) 

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »
What is your living situation like?  Could you share with neighbors?

I had some friends in college, who lived in a three-story building.  They went out an bought a monthly plan, and each hooked up a wireless router, one on each floor.  They split the bill three ways.

If you could split with another person, the bill would only be $40 a month.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 05:40:54 PM »
I live in the DC area too.  I pay $56 / month for broadband internet.  Last summer Verizon raised my rate to $64/month "as a courtesy to me for providing faster speeds".  I complained and asked them how to get a lower rate.  The only way I could reduce my rate was to buy a bundle with cable TV.  So I now have cable + internet for $54/month (and I locked that rate for 2 years with a contract :(.  I haven't hooked up the cable - my home wiring is still wired in to the OTA Antenna on the roof.  I am guessing that after 2 years, Verizon will think I'm hooked on cable and will raise my rates again.  At which point, canceling cable will probably be my best option. 

I live in a townhouse and I know I'm close enough to feed off neighbors' internet, but it's a pretty touchy situation around here because a lot of people work from home and it's too risky to share a network if client data is on that network. 

Here's a recent article about DC residents paying some of the highest internet costs in the country and in the world: 

http://dcist.com/2014/01/dc_residents_pay_the_highest_intern.php

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »

Here's a recent article about DC residents paying some of the highest internet costs in the country and in the world: 

http://dcist.com/2014/01/dc_residents_pay_the_highest_intern.php

Ugh!

You do pay less than I do. Maybe I should look into what Verizon can offer. When I did all of my major cost cutting last year, I let this one slide since we've never had a problem with it. Also, I did not find appealing options.

Since I use my internet for work, I'd hesitate about sharing with my neighbors. I do not know them well enough to know what they might be doing on it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »
We're in an area with Comcast for cable and AT&T for DSL.  We have AT&T DSL for our internet, currently at about $25/mo for 3MB(I think).  It's a promotional price, available "only" to new customers.  In reality, it's also available to current customers who threaten to leave for the competition.

So every 6-12 months (depending on the duration of the promotion), I call up AT&T's customer service, and say something along these lines: "Hi, I'm a current DSL customer, and we're on a promotional discount.  The promotion is about to end, and I'm wondering if you have any specials you can offer to keep us as a customer."  The CSRs have always been quite helpful and friendly.  They can't put you on the same promotion twice in a row, so we alternate between a $15/mo discount (regular price is $47 or so) and the 50% off discount.  It's a 5-minute phone call every six months or so, which makes the hourly rate quite impressive.

I don't know if Comcast work in a similar manner, but I would not be surprised if they can get you a longer (or new) promotional period if you ask nicely.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 09:08:04 PM »
I pay 50 a month for the second to slowest speed plan on Comcast in Denver.     I've looked into DSL, but since I'd have to hook up a landline it just doesn't seem worth it.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »
I pay 50 a month for the second to slowest speed plan on Comcast in Denver.     I've looked into DSL, but since I'd have to hook up a landline it just doesn't seem worth it.

I think most phone companies now offer stand alone DSL.  You might double check that a landline is required.

gotaholen1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 09:56:41 AM »
You can get DSL without a landline.  It is called "dry loop".  I pay $30 a month and we get about 4MB up and about 1MB down.  It is fine for streaming netflix/amazon.  In my area the provider is Frontier (used to be Verizon).

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 09:58:52 AM »
You can get DSL without a landline.  It is called "dry loop".  I pay $30 a month and we get about 4MB up and about 1MB down.  It is fine for streaming netflix/amazon.  In my area the provider is Frontier (used to be Verizon).

I always thought a "dry loop" was a copper pair from A to B.  I.e.: just a copper path with no service.  It's often used for "roll your own DSL."

MustacheCowboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
I recently called Comcast and got my rate lowered from $74 down to $30 for 12 months (new customer promo). I respectfully said "your competitor (Verizon Fios) is offering faster internet at $30 per month for new customers, if you want to keep my business I will need a lower rate." I was prepared to pull the trigger and leave if I had too. Not sure if this made a difference but I called early on a Monday morning, felt like the rep hadn't had a bunch of people scream at him that day yet.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
Thank you for these suggestions. I think this week's project will be to call Comcast and see if I can get them to lower it. =-)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »
I have talked to six people at Comcast. Between disconnecting my phone calls and the internet people telling me I have to call and the phone people telling me I have to use the internet chat to get the deals, they are making it difficult.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 02:45:47 PM »
I had the double play with high speed internet (because we stream A LOT of shows on Netflix).  We wanted HBO for game of thrones so I called and was able to "upgrade" to triple play (includes phone) for a cheaper price than double play and get HBO free for 6 months.  No contract so I will just fall back after the promo ends or cancel altogether if they do not offer some better rate.  It is quite expensive though at $130 a month.  I don't even use the phone part of the triple play...not even sure what phone number they assigned me.

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
Comcast increasing monthly rates by 37% is what launched my experiment of "no Internet for a month." Made efforts to get the $75 charges reduced, talked to two different representatives - no go.

Since 2001, I had been a good Comcast customer (payments on time or early, worked with to their staff's convenience on all installations - moved 3 times in the last 13 years). Yet the final verdict was, "Sorry." After that, they attempted to convince me to "upgrade" to get cheaper services.

Perhaps geographical location impacts Comcast's discounts? I pulled the plug, returned the modem and began my Internet "diet." Hoping other folks may have more favorable results.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
I would love to get rid of them too but 35Mb/s or whatever insane speed we have now is just too addicting. I couldn't go back to DSL.  How could I watch House of Cards and see Kevin stutter across the screen or pause while I get the lovely spinning circle?

They have me over a barrel with a big jar of vaso and they know it.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
Comcast tips:

Go to the in-person service location nearest you.  The people are local, have the power to make things happen, and people are more likely to be nicer to you face to face. 

If you call in, choose the menu item that says you are reducing your bill.  I've been given the run around for about two months now on our bill and that was the first time I spoke to someone who wasn't just reading off a script.

Good luck!

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
I live in a Philly suburb and a year and a half ago I finally decided to cut the cord on cable but when I tried to cancel they told me my internet would go to $70/month. So to stay on I am on a bundle with limited basic (it is just the network channels) and internet for $50/month. Although recently there has been a mistake on my bill where I am getting a Starz promotion for free (never asked for it), not complaining until they charge me for it.

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 08:37:15 PM »
Old Toyota - I called Comcast last month to negotiate a rate change. I only had to talk to 2 reps and I got a lower rate. I was amazed it wasn't a bigger hassle.  I was transferred to the "solutions' department if that helps. 

Flash-forward to this week...called Comcast for my Mom to help her negotiate her rates...total nightmare.  Constantly transferred, hung up on several times.  Then as an added frustration...each rep seemed more concerned trying to upgrade to the triple-play instead of addressing my main concern. 

If you are getting nowhere when you call, hang-up and try back a different day. Sometimes it helps to get a different rep. 

I am in Chicago - $50 for basic cable and Blast internet (the internet speed is WAY overboard, but apparently it was the only way to get our plan cheaper (whatever). Also, we have no need for basic cable, but apparently the double-play was only way to get this deal)  This rate is good for 6 months and I will call back and go thru the same process again.

Keep trying.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 08:43:35 PM »
Old Toyota - I called Comcast last month to negotiate a rate change. I only had to talk to 2 reps and I got a lower rate. I was amazed it wasn't a bigger hassle.  I was transferred to the "solutions' department if that helps. 

Flash-forward to this week...called Comcast for my Mom to help her negotiate her rates...total nightmare.  Constantly transferred, hung up on several times.  Then as an added frustration...each rep seemed more concerned trying to upgrade to the triple-play instead of addressing my main concern. 

If you are getting nowhere when you call, hang-up and try back a different day. Sometimes it helps to get a different rep. 

I am in Chicago - $50 for basic cable and Blast internet (the internet speed is WAY overboard, but apparently it was the only way to get our plan cheaper (whatever). Also, we have no need for basic cable, but apparently the double-play was only way to get this deal)  This rate is good for 6 months and I will call back and go thru the same process again.

Keep trying.

I am on the 9th person...

macarose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »
Comcast and AT&T are the absolute two worst companies I have dealt with in terms of customer service.

Right now I am down to $25 a month with Comcast ($19 + bogus fees). I look forward to the day when both organizations cease to exist.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 09:20:46 PM »
Comcast and AT&T are the absolute two worst companies I have dealt with in terms of customer service.

Right now I am down to $25 a month with Comcast ($19 + bogus fees). I look forward to the day when both organizations cease to exist.

As far as Comcast goes, the opposite is happening. The FCC is looking to allow them to take over Time Warner, which would increase their market share to beyond the 40% they have now. FCC is also looking at allowing Comcast, etc to charge  more to companies that own websites (Disney, etc) so that content will be more available than, say, the website of a startup. In other words, the FCC is looking to squash net neutrality. Who works at the FCC? Former executives from the ISPs!

Fun times.

That said, I got the rate down and will save $400+. I went through more than 10 "customer service" people to get it done, but I don't give up.

Actually, I should say they *told me* the rate would go down. I won't believe t until I see it given that their reps lied to me several times about prices and the "availability of deals."

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:22:17 PM by oldtoyota »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 08:39:25 AM »

As far as Comcast goes, the opposite is happening. The FCC is looking to allow them to take over Time Warner, which would increase their market share to beyond the 40% they have now. FCC is also looking at allowing Comcast, etc to charge  more to companies that own websites (Disney, etc) so that content will be more available than, say, the website of a startup. In other words, the FCC is looking to squash net neutrality. Who works at the FCC? Former executives from the ISPs!

Net Neutrality is a buzzword.  In reality Non-neutrality is what makes things work.  Disney and content providers ALREADY have a non-neutral connection.  Know why?  Because the internet doesn't work without it.

Comcast played the net-neutral game with Netflix earlier this year.  Netflix accounts for 1/3 of all traffic.  That is a whole lot of expensive 10G links.  Comcast and Netflix (and every ISP for that matter) have peering agreements, traffic engineering, specialized caches, etc to make things work better.  At some point Comcast asked Netflix to pay for some of the bandwidth they were using.  Netflix said no.  At that point, Comcast started treating them neutrally... and Netflix almost stopped working entirely on the Comcast network.  It was fixed by re-establishing a peer.

I am no fan of Comcast.  (I've dealt with their customer service.)  But they're big, so they're going to be first.  Their model is changing.  In the past that expensive tv and the not-so-expensive telephone service underwrote the cost of internet.  TV as we know it is dying.  I think in the long run there will only be online content streaming.  They have to replace the revenue with something.  The required bandwidth is rising FAST.  You either have to charge more for internet or charge for peering (or both).

zurich78

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 08:45:45 AM »
Ugh.  Hate the cable companies!  And for internet, it's so much worse for me because I have no leverage.  I can only get Cox Communications in my area.

At least with cable, I can say I'm going to DirecTV unless you help me out some.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 12:54:01 PM »
I call comcast every year and argue for a cheaper rate.  They've gotten less inclined recently, maybe I have a note on my account? :-0

I've found it's a better use of my time to cut straight to the point at hand:

me: "I'd like to cancel my account"

comcast: "Valued customer since 1492, you smell like roses and sound like a songbird.  How about I give you a bunch of worthless stuff and increase your bill by 50%?"

me:  "Nope.  Canceling.  Cancel, cancel, cancel"

comcast: "OK, transferring you to retention/solutions/fairygodmothers"

And if retention doesn't give you want you want, hang up and call again.  Be super nice and have a sense of humor.  If it's clear a certain agent isn't going to help don't hesitate to hang up.  You'll eventually get someone who feels like making your day.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 01:12:45 PM »
Be super nice and have a sense of humor.  If it's clear a certain agent isn't going to help don't hesitate to hang up.  You'll eventually get someone who feels like making your day.
A thousand times this. They have awful people abusing them all day. Being nice goes a loooong way. As a general rule, reps are often bored so they love interesting customers, massive bonus points if you can talk with a foreign accent. They will be happy to chat about anything under the sun to get them through their day while they are looking up whatever info they need about your account.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
My town has only Comcast and FairPoint.  I used FP for 18months at 39.  They hiked to 50 & wouldn't budge..... so I canceled and shared with my neighbor for 4 months (who gets Comcast bundle @50 for internet - so i was paying neighbor 25).. But neighbor's connection isn't great. Meanwhile FP sent mail offers to me and I've returned to FP for 30. 

Lesson: If they won't decrease, Cancel and share or turn to a competitor for a while. They'll solicit you back with a sweet offer.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »

comcast: "Valued customer since 1492, you smell like roses and sound like a songbird.  How about I give you a bunch of worthless stuff and increase your bill by 50%?"

me:  "Nope.  Canceling.  Cancel, cancel, cancel"

comcast: "OK, transferring you to retention/solutions/fairygodmothers"

This is funny. The only part you left out is getting "disconnected by accident." LOL

One guy said, "And do we still have two televisions? And how much TV do we watch." When people use "we" when they really mean "you," it makes them sound annoying.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
A thousand times this. They have awful people abusing them all day. Being nice goes a loooong way.

Agree.  I almost always ask the rep how the weather is in Delhi, just to be sociable and all.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 02:00:50 PM »
OT, just for curiosity sake as I can't recall... did you ever look into the Earthlink alternative option? Since you're on Comcast, some Comcast areas support Earthlink as a third party provider (mentioned this in the guide). Might be easier to see if you can just switch over and give Comcast the heave ho than trying to repeatedly call in and renegotiate.

Beckyemerson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 02:08:52 PM »
I live between Baltimore and Washington and I pay $25 for internet. I have broadstripe. Is their service perfect? Not quite. In one year of service I had one time where I couldn't get it to work and they had no idea what the problem was and worst of all the representative was very rude.  I emailed customer service and asked for compensation for the poor internet service and customer service. They took $15 off my bill. That seemed more than fair to me!

squatman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »
Is RCN available in your neighborhood? Their price/speed ratios are way better than verizon or comcast. I'll miss their service line by about 2 blocks in the place I'm moving to. :(

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 06:42:43 AM »

Net Neutrality is a buzzword.  In reality Non-neutrality is what makes things work.  Disney and content providers ALREADY have a non-neutral connection.  Know why?  Because the internet doesn't work without it.

A buzz word? Is "business" a buzzword? "Cable"? "Internet"? What are you implying by saying that?

I disagree with you that certain companies should pay more for premium service. I want access to all of the internet--not just what Comcast gets paid to deliver to me.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 07:06:47 AM »

A buzz word? Is "business" a buzzword? "Cable"? "Internet"? What are you implying by saying that?

I disagree with you that certain companies should pay more for premium service. I want access to all of the internet--not just what Comcast gets paid to deliver to me.

I disagree with you.  A company profiting from streaming content should pay more because they are using up a ton of bandwidth.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »

What I am saying is: the internet does not work when it is neutral.  It actually takes very specific engineering to make different things work as expected. 

This is not a censorship issue.  It is a "make X work" issue.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 08:58:49 AM »

I disagree with you.  A company profiting from streaming content should pay more because they are using up a ton of bandwidth.

If I am paying to have content sent to me, then the content should be sent/received by me at the same rate of speed whether it comes from Google. MrStartup.Com or MrMoneyMustache.com.

And that should hold true no matter the political or religious or whatever "controversial" content it might be.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »

If I am paying to have content sent to me, then the content should be sent/received by me at the same rate of speed whether it comes from Google. MrStartup.Com or MrMoneyMustache.com.

And that should hold true no matter the political or religious or whatever "controversial" content it might be.

Net neutrality has nothing to do with content.  I promise.

(given that list of domains...)  Right now google probably has a peer with your ISP.  They probably also have specialized caches.  They're getting preferential treatment, probably for free.  In particular, youtube probably wouldn't work without it.  And without it, you'd pay a very slightly higher cost for your bandwidth because of the additional transit costs.  It isn't neutral.  It hasn't been for a long time.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »
Aaaand Comcast said they can't, in fact, give us the rate they said they would give us. They lied. Again.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »
OT, just for curiosity sake as I can't recall... did you ever look into the Earthlink alternative option? Since you're on Comcast, some Comcast areas support Earthlink as a third party provider (mentioned this in the guide). Might be easier to see if you can just switch over and give Comcast the heave ho than trying to repeatedly call in and renegotiate.

I am just seeing this. This is not available in my area. Do I need to move??

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 10:30:53 AM »
I recently called Comcast and got my rate lowered from $74 down to $30 for 12 months (new customer promo). I respectfully said "your competitor (Verizon Fios) is offering faster internet at $30 per month for new customers, if you want to keep my business I will need a lower rate." I was prepared to pull the trigger and leave if I had too. Not sure if this made a difference but I called early on a Monday morning, felt like the rep hadn't had a bunch of people scream at him that day yet.

Did you check your bill? Did they really give you the lower rate?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »

I am just seeing this. This is not available in my area. Do I need to move??

Maybe? *shrugs* Wish I knew of a better solution for you.

Isn't this situation just Comcastic?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Re: How Can I Reduce My Internet Costs?
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2014, 06:48:26 AM »
I wish I could laugh. It's hard, though, when one is stuck with a situation with suboptimal choices.

I looked into Verizon's DSL. My neighbor gets this for $30. However, it's "not available in my area."

Here are the options:

Verizon:
$79.99 for TV, internet, and land line.
This means, I would give up the VOIP and go back to a Verizon land line (which used to cost us $73).

Comcast:
Stay with the liars and keep paying $76 per month for 25 mbps. This is the slowest possible and, therefore, the cheapest.
Does not include a landline.
Note: Comcast said they would reduce my bill to $39.99 and then called back days later to say they could not do that.

The VOIP is $135 per year so around $11 per month.

Given the above, I am thinking Verizon is better for a few reasons:

1. Verizon has not yet had the opportunity to lie to me, so I am not as annoyed with them (yet).
2. With the land line bundled in there, we'd be combining two bills (land line and internet) into one.

The downside is that the Verizon land line used to stop working when it rained, and they could never fix the problem.

I am tempted to get rid of the internet all together, which I may do. I could live off of free wifi at coffeeshops or go back to a web phone plan (cheaper) to get email, which is all I really need.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »

The downside is that the Verizon land line used to stop working when it rained, and they could never fix the problem.

This used to happen to me as well.  (Northern Dallas suburbs that were GTE turned Verizon.)  An old telco geezer in the area told me the lines in that area were old and seriously degraded and had never been upgraded/replaced over time.  The ground water was shorting out the pair.  They don't work on it in the rain, so by the time your ticket makes it to the tech, it's working again.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 05:25:41 PM »

This used to happen to me as well.  (Northern Dallas suburbs that were GTE turned Verizon.)  An old telco geezer in the area told me the lines in that area were old and seriously degraded and had never been upgraded/replaced over time.  The ground water was shorting out the pair.  They don't work on it in the rain, so by the time your ticket makes it to the tech, it's working again.

Exactly. Story of our life with Verizon. They'd look at us all wide-eyed after the storm was over…"What?! It works now! There's nothing to fix!"

MustacheCowboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »

Did you check your bill? Did they really give you the lower rate?

Yup. Reflected on the next months statement, just like they said.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!