Author Topic: How are you projecting your healthcare costs in ER?  (Read 2061 times)

Rylito

• Stubble
How are you projecting your healthcare costs in ER?
« on: February 26, 2017, 11:00:04 PM »
My ER date is highly variable depending on where we decide to end up, but in a best-case scenario could be within 18 months.  The other major factor that I can't seem to get a handle on is how much to plan on spending on health care costs.  I have no idea what's going to be in place in the US in the next year or two nor how that's going to affect cost projections for my spouse, who has a pre-existing health condition.

How are other folks planning on retiring within the next year or two handling this?  Conversely, if you are already retired, has the uncertainty in health care coverage changed any previous projections that you made?

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How are you projecting your healthcare costs in ER?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
I'm assuming the Republicans will succeed in substantially eliminating the ACA, so I'm projecting 20-30k per year in health insurance and related costs. This is more than the average amount I expect to need to pay, but, as they say, better to die with money than to live without it (or, more aptly, "be dying without it").

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: How are you projecting your healthcare costs in ER?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:12:32 AM »
We will definitely plan on ~20k in healthcare costs a year, in the current healthcare marketplace.

Our current plan, if we paid the whole.cost, would be about 1000/month, plus about the same amount again in bills to meet the OOP Max, which we meet with alarming regularity.