Author Topic: Is it possible to return these gifts?  (Read 3747 times)

DAY440

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is it possible to return these gifts?
« on: December 26, 2014, 10:44:38 AM »
I have a special situation.  My FIL was a hug hoarder.  He would buy anything on sale and get several of the same item.  My MIL is now trying to get rid of his "stuff".  He passed away last year.  The problem is that she is giving them as gifts.  Some things are quite useful but others are just more stuff for me to try to get out of my house.  I have my own stuff to deal with.  lol.  I have no idea how long he had these items and do not have a receipt.  What is the best way to try to "return" these items or is it even possible?  I also have no idea where he got them.  No price tags or any other store identifiers.  Examples are flashlights, lanterns, plant holders, digital tire gauges, random knives, etc.  I hope I don't sound unappreciative.  I really to appreciate the gifts.  There are just some items that we really do not need.  Thanks in advance!

Future Lazy

• Bristles
Re: Is it possible to return these gifts?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
If all else fails, walk into multiple big box stores with your pile of stuff. Suggestions include:

Home Depot
Lowes
Ace Hardware
Walmart
Target
Kmart
Auto Zone

Etc

Hell, one of my previous supervisors at Home Depot was extremely proud of returning car tires for someone. Car tires. Home Depot does not sell, and has never sold car tires. At the same time, though, if he bought a bunch of Tinkerbell posters on clearance at Home Depot, and that product's price was reduced to a penny sku at the end of the clearance cycle, a penny is all you're going to get for that returned clearance item.

So I mean. Just try it! You might be surprised.

DAY440

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
Thanks guys!  I will see which stores carry these items and try to return them. I would be happy to take a store credit.  If that doesn't work, there is always Craigslist and having a yard sale.

DAY440

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 11:31:19 AM »
I just realized I referred to my FIL as a "hug" hoarder, instead of a "huge" hoarder.  He did enjoy a good hug!  :)

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »
Become an amazon seller.  A lot of stuff is on there for sale by stores and individuals, and depending on the shipping cost, you can make a little and at least get rid of it.  Or have a yard sale.

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 01:20:23 PM »
Without tags, it's very hard to return stuff even if new.  Home Depot isn't accepting a lot of things without a receipt now anyways to decrease shoplifting.

Obviously Amazon/Craigslist are options, but another possibility depending on the value of your time and your income level is to donate them, get a Gift-in-kind receipt and claim full value or even 75% value for tax-deduction purposes.  Obviously this only works if you're itemizing Schedule A.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »
Hell, one of my previous supervisors at Home Depot was extremely proud of returning car tires for someone. Car tires. Home Depot does not sell, and has never sold car tires.
This is so great.

attica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 04:42:41 PM »
A much easier solution may be to suggest your mother hold an estate sale. You or she can hire someone to hold one on her behalf. They get a cut of the profits but they also do all the work. It doesn't sound like she needs the money only that she wants to get rid of all the crap your father brought home, so she probably won't care about that. You can try calling a couple real estate agents in your area to find a referral for a company that does estate sales or see if some pop up on the Google.