Author Topic: How's Xfinity Mobile?  (Read 1447 times)

JetBlast

• Bristles
How's Xfinity Mobile?
« on: May 23, 2020, 04:25:29 PM »
Any current Xfinity Mobile users care to share their experience? 

Thinking of switching to them since we are already forced to use them for high speed internet, and it sounds quite good from what I've read online. Doesn't look like I'll be doing much international travel in the next year or two, so I won't have any need to keep a good international plan.  I've mentioned to DW that we could save a good bit of money by switching and she keeps asking "What's the catch?"  So....what's the catch?

Mrs Brightside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What one fool can do, another can.
Re: How's Xfinity Mobile?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »
Working well for my family, who previously had Verizon. Ported all numbers with no issues. One person had a little hiccup where they weren't getting voicemail notifications and had to dial *86 like the 1990s all over again. They were able to get it straightened out pretty quickly. I do wonder if they will eventually raise the prices on this service. I've told my parents to switch to Xfinity Mobile as Verizon is just too pricey.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:43:39 PM »
We switched from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile about a 18 months ago and have no big complaints... we usually use under a gig per month so our bill is like $15.  Biggest complaints so far is that we dont have a whole lot of success with the xfinity hot spots... maybe we are doing something wrong?  Be careful to get a phone that is new enough for their system, I believe it is a galaxy S8 or newer or iphone 7 or newer?  They also may have changed their "bring your own" policy so watch out for that... you might have to buy from them.  Maybe not for new customers though.

foghorn

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 05:33:05 AM »
I switched to Xfinity Mobile about 2.5 years ago with no problems.  My bill at Verizon was about $58 per month.  My bill with Xfinity Mobile is about $13.50 per month.  As Xfinity Mobile uses the Verizon network, I have no issues with coverage or service.

I really hate to give Xfinity/Comcast too much credit as they are so painful to deal with on the High Speed Internet and TV side of things - but the Xfinity Mobile experience has actually worked out well. 

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 08:58:57 AM »
I really hate to give Xfinity/Comcast too much credit as they are so painful to deal with on the High Speed Internet and TV side of things - but the Xfinity Mobile experience has actually worked out well.

This is my biggest concern.  I've had Comcast/Xfinity as the only high speed internet provider (apart from satellite) in three cities, and the customer service has been awful in all three.  I didn't know whether to believe what I've read online that things are better for their mobile service.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »
We had Verizon, we went to Xfinity and the only thing that I noticed was that the bill was cheap as hell and the money was going to another company.

We pay $12 a month for both hubby and I phone.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 09:11:27 AM »
Ditto.

Switched from Tmobile ($55) to Pure Talk ($22) to Xfinity where I usually pay about $18.  This is while I use less than 1 gb monthly.  I like Pure Talk very much, not as cheap or convenient as other MVNOs but has good old fashion customer service.  You talk to reps based in GA (I think).  But I needed a new phone and Xfinity was offering a great deal on the Galaxy S9 and I was already an internet customer. 

Have had a couple of annoying tech glitches spread over a few days in the last two years.  Otherwise, service and data speed have been fine. Not great if you want to use your number/service overseas.  I love being able to use my phone overseas without any fuss with Tmobile.  But I didn't travel enough to justify the $55 monthly cost.  Plus, Tmobile still caps speeds to 2G which was fine 5-10 years ago, but now it's near useless.  My mom is still with Tmobile and I was with traveling with her in Australia not long ago and using data on her phone reminded me of the dial-up days in the 90's. 

When I joined Xfinity in 2018--they did not allow bringing your own phone.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 09:19:35 AM »
One really annoying glitch that is ongoing is acknowledged by Xfinity but I'm still not sure why it can't be fixed...I can't receive or send MMS messages on wifi with my Samsung phone.  I have to switch my phone to mobile data or else a MMS with a gif or photo will not go through.  MMS text only messages aren't a problem on wifi.  Now to save a few dollars I'm willing to put with this issue, but still, annoying.  Still, I have to make sure I don't leave my phone on mobile data...gotta keep that bill under $20.

Xfinity blames Samsung.  Apparently this is a problem between some carriers and Samsung.  But not all carriers so maybe there's something with Xfinity that's contributing to the problem too.

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 08:06:07 AM »
Nothing really to add that others haven't already, but we switched from Verizon to Xfinity last fall and really had a positive experience so far. The bill went down ridiculously low. And since my DH is working from home and I'm WFH half time, we dropped the shared 3GB to 1GB data. We end up paying $20 for 3 lines, so even lower than before.

I have this referral link you may be able to get additional money off if you pursue it:

https://referafriend.xfinity.com/ShareTheAwesome/1RS3K8?CMP=SOC_TWT_RAF_1RS3K8_walkin&t=637069495482475076&c=en&fbclid=IwAR3ZCRbrkSMZ037_jl0Ljtk-DglgLIcsPVvzQ69k5W8yAkt7JtVbp9DCjoU

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »
One really annoying glitch that is ongoing is acknowledged by Xfinity but I'm still not sure why it can't be fixed...I can't receive or send MMS messages on wifi with my Samsung phone.  I have to switch my phone to mobile data or else a MMS with a gif or photo will not go through.  MMS text only messages aren't a problem on wifi.  Now to save a few dollars I'm willing to put with this issue, but still, annoying.  Still, I have to make sure I don't leave my phone on mobile data...gotta keep that bill under $20.

Xfinity blames Samsung.  Apparently this is a problem between some carriers and Samsung.  But not all carriers so maybe there's something with Xfinity that's contributing to the problem too.

Forgot about this!  Totally had this problem too.  I seem to be getting MMS messages correctly now though, so maybe something changed?

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 09:22:31 AM »
I have Xfinity mobile, and wouldn’t use anything else.

The Verizon network is great where we live, the bills are cheap, and I’ve never had to deal with customer service.

I haven’t had any technical issues using an iPhone.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 02:10:09 PM »

Forgot about this!  Totally had this problem too.  I seem to be getting MMS messages correctly now though, so maybe something changed?

I don't do a lot of texting... And hadn't paid much attention, but you know I hadn't been annoyed by this problem recently. I sent a gif to my Google number, it took awhile but it did send! All on wifi no need to switch to data. Yay!

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 02:12:19 PM »
I've been considering switching. My SO and I use around 0.7-1.0GB of data each month, which works out to around $30 + taxes/fees on Google Fi. However, I've had such an awful experience with Comcast in the past that I'm reluctant to save around $20 per month by tying my phone service to them. Going to keep an eye on this and see if anyone else chips in.

I suppose it's also worth noting that we travel through Canada frequently, and find some value in having data for navigation while on the other side of the border.