Author Topic: Hotel Reservations  (Read 2478 times)

Davin

• Stubble
Hotel Reservations
« on: July 12, 2014, 10:51:05 PM »
We are taking a 12 day road trip that will involve a lot of camping, but will probably require 2-3 nights in motels. What do you do to save money when making reservations and why? Priceline, Hotwire, or...what? Are there any travel hackers out there who would  care to share some tips or techniques?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Hotel Reservations
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:52:31 PM »
Depends, I am a fan of Red Roof motels, so will stay at the them even if I can find a place for a little more. When I was in NC a few years ago I stayed in them quite a few times and they were always around $55/night, which isn't bad, and also you can negotiate with the clerk, they may lower the fee. Many of the times I got into the hotel around 11 pm so the clerk knew that they would have vacancies and were willing to lower their rate, esp as there were other motels nearby.

Also, sometimes if Priceline is quoting something lik 65/night and they want 70, sometimes (though not often) they will lower it to either 65 or even lower because they can avoid giving Priceline or other companies a cut. That said, sometimes they have just said to book it through Priceline, when this happens I take it to mean that the clerk has little to no discretion on lowering the rate.

Funny store, at the Greensboro Red Roof I got a rate for like $52 and was chatting and joking with the clerk and he lowered the rate even further to 42 because "I like you." I came back about 8 months later and asked about him to another clerk, who laughed at me remembering him and gave me that same rate, so being nice is likely the best policy.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:26:39 AM »
I have found priceline good, esp. In areas with lots of rooms like near airportd... Do your research, then bid 25%or less than the lowest rate.  Your will often get it.it, or you can try again with slightly different request.

Never try to negotiate in person the day you want the hotel, unless you have the charm of the previous poster.  I have paid more than market due to the hotel not caring, or knowing most people take it anyway after 5pm.

Try www.tug2.net . timeshare rentals by owner.  You can get a full week for very low, but selection is spotty.  I have done this even without staying a full week, and the units usually have kitchens. This is my preferred.  The owners just want tp cover their maintenance fees.  The units have check in clerks usually and feel like hotels.

I am sure others have success with bnb last time I tried, it was mainly high end places or room in a house.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:37:13 AM »
I use the pricing aggregate sites (priceline/kayak) to get their best deal. Then I call the hotel that I like directly and ask them if they can beat the internet price. 9 times out of 10 they can. If you book through the sites, then the hotel has to pay them a fee in kickback, and they'd rather discount it themselves and undercut the pricing sites a tiny bit to get the booking directly than pay the sites.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!