Author Topic: Honda Fit - Seat comfort?  (Read 1911 times)

Edge of Reason

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Honda Fit - Seat comfort?
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:18:48 AM »
My tall husband's torso, my son's (and my) long legs have to fit our next car so I'm in the process of ruling out vehicles that don't work for us.

I test drove a Honda Fit over the weekend. We are thinking of buying a returned lease/used 2016 but since they didn't have a used one on the lot they gave us a 2019 and told us pretty much everything (except lane assist etc.) would be the same. Fortunately the 3rd generation of the car is much roomier, peppier and solid than the 1st generation that we test drove years ago and it fit all of our leg/torso windshield view requirements.

I was only in the car for 20 minutes and the one thing I noticed was that I could not get comfortable. My butt and lower back were achy. It could have been because I had just finished my second long bike ride of the season (resulting in a stiff butt) before that test drive but I had a sneaky suspicion it could have been the seat (which was confirmed when I googled "Honda Fit Seat").  I know that google search will find results for just about anything and I will test drive again before we buy but I figured I'd ask you mustachians with Honda Fits for your input.

What year Fit do you own and do you find the front and passenger seat uncomfortable for long rides? What about the back seats? Anything else about the car we should be aware of?

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Re: Honda Fit - Seat comfort?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:28:41 AM »
I own a 2012 Fit and haven’t noticed major discomfort from the seat on longer drives (there’s an occasional 4-6 hour trip to visit family). At least beyond the usual. I’m also an average height female so the head rest is a bit too high for me.

Other than that, it’s been a solid car. Not as fun to drive as my late 90s Corolla but has much better capacity. We joke that everything fits in the Fit.

herbgeek

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »
I have a 2015 Honda Fit and last summer we drove from Massachusetts thru New Brunswick to Nova Scotia- one day putting in 12 hours in the seat.  Never got uncomfortable for me, but that could be because I bring plenty of my own cushion with me whenever I walk.  :)

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 12:02:42 PM »
I have a '17 and find it to be not bad comfort-wise.  I sit in it for a few hours while birding and feel fine afterward.  I do plan on getting some type of cushion though, due to my bad back plus I plan on taking a huge multi-state road trip soon with it.

One thing that does bug me is the armrest is so low it's not really an armrest.  I plan on rigging something to raise it up and maybe make a cupholder that's large enough to fit a cup larger than a standard water bottle.

APBioSpartan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 07:45:50 AM »
Figure it's worth mentioning for context: 27yo healthy dude here with a 27yo wife who has a touchy back.

We have a 2015 Honda Fit and find it to be extremely comfortable.  We have the middle of the line version which has comfortable leather seats.  If I remember correctly from my "obsessive research before buying a car" days, there was a turning point somewhere around 2014 where fits went from uncomfortable to comfortable so I would stick to something relatively new-er. 

Aside from the daily commute, we've made a few trips from NC -> MI -> NC and had no issues with comfort.  Also, we fold the seats down in the back so my dog has essentially an entire apartment back there.  He gives it 10/10 bones.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 09:52:19 AM »
I have a crappy lower back and I find my 2018 Fit to be quite comfy. I did an 8-hour round trip for work recently and had no issues. I am, however, 5' 5". My 6' 2" husband would like the seat to go back a touch farther and doesn't feel like he has enough room for his left leg when he drives because of the location of the wheel well. He finds his Prius V much comfier.

That said, you can't really beat the Fit as a daily driver. I think it has the corner on the market for just how much room is in the back of the car when the seats are down. I was debating between the Fit and an HRV when I bought last year, and the $10k difference in price vs an AWD HRV just wasn't worth it for the four days per year I want to take it to the mountain. Once I replace the factory tires with all seasons, it will be just about the perfect car.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 05:52:01 PM »
6'5" and I really like the Fit... plenty big enough for my frame.

kristof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 05:41:34 AM »
I'm a 6'6 cyclist/triathlete and have a 2008 Fit... feels plenty comfy to me, no complaints :)

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 12:08:20 AM »
2017 Fit, no comfort issues for me.  I regularly do days of driving 3+ hours to Tahoe, Santa Cruz, etc and I find for the price, it's a rather comfy ride.

I have sat on a foam seat wedge in my car for the past ten years or so because I had an issue with sciatica many years ago.  A PT told me a bucket seat is anatomically a terrible thing for someone with sciatica.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.  Maybe you should go re test drive the car another time??? 

I'll also add that I wanted to buy a used Fit but the only ones available were the ones coming back from lease and they had 30,000 miles on them and were selling for only $3,000 less than the new ones.  So I bought new, end of year with a bit of a discount, no regrets.