Author Topic: Honda Fit Recall - any experience?  (Read 26098 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Honda Fit Recall - any experience?
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 05:31:33 PM »
I checked here. My local place made no mention of free car, but when I said other customers were getting them elsewhere, they said I could have one...but that I have to buy rental insurance coverage and that most customers are opting out for that reason. Not free car, boo Honda!

Your regular car insurance company should provide coverage.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 05:36:22 PM »
^ Only if we buy the extra coverage. Honda said most customers haven't, and didn't want to newly buy rental coverage for this, so got no car. I actually have coverage through two sources, but what about all the others who've approached the one I did? Is this another Canada/US difference? Dunno.

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2016, 05:23:19 AM »
^ Only if we buy the extra coverage. Honda said most customers haven't, and didn't want to newly buy rental coverage for this, so got no car. I actually have coverage through two sources, but what about all the others who've approached the one I did? Is this another Canada/US difference? Dunno.

Perhaps. In my experience (in the US), your regular vehicle coverage extends to a rental. I called my carrier to double check since I'll have this rental long term. I was assured it's just like driving my own vehicle with same deductibles, etc. If you're unsure, call your insurance company and ask. Surprisingly, they didn't even push the insurance just said "sign here to deny all the extra coverage."

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2016, 06:32:29 AM »
I called my insurance broker and he said he'd gotten five calls that day from Honda owners asking about it and that yes, I was all set. The Enterprise guy even said "sign here to decline our extra insurance, it's $18 a day so that would add up pretty quick."

They are probably much less worried in Canada because heat and humidity contribute to the problem.

Have you tried calling the next-closest dealership to see if they're more helpful? (Do dealerships even work the same way in Canada?)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2016, 07:24:36 AM »
Perhaps. In my experience (in the US), your regular vehicle coverage extends to a rental. I called my carrier to double check since I'll have this rental long term. I was assured it's just like driving my own vehicle with same deductibles, etc.

In BC, the government has an arm's length agency that we're required to insure through, our only option. They're the ones that said only if we have the extra (optional) coverage, not otherwise. As it happens, I do have that, and perhaps coverage through my credit card company too (not sure, if I'm not paying for it). The guy here was definitely unconcerned, yes, saying the issue of concern hasn't happened in Canada, therefore everyone's fine, not to worry about it, and just get my new part in some months.

I'm just finding it fascinating, the response you guys are getting and the response here.

Yes, out of curiousity I will call another dealer. This was the same one that, after I told them a light was out and left the car with them for three hours, gave me back a car with a light out... They said they looked and it was fine. I turned my car on and showed them: no light.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2016, 09:01:09 AM »
Perhaps. In my experience (in the US), your regular vehicle coverage extends to a rental. I called my carrier to double check since I'll have this rental long term. I was assured it's just like driving my own vehicle with same deductibles, etc.

In BC, the government has an arm's length agency that we're required to insure through, our only option. They're the ones that said only if we have the extra (optional) coverage, not otherwise. As it happens, I do have that, and perhaps coverage through my credit card company too (not sure, if I'm not paying for it). The guy here was definitely unconcerned, yes, saying the issue of concern hasn't happened in Canada, therefore everyone's fine, not to worry about it, and just get my new part in some months.

I'm just finding it fascinating, the response you guys are getting and the response here.

Yes, out of curiousity I will call another dealer. This was the same one that, after I told them a light was out and left the car with them for three hours, gave me back a car with a light out... They said they looked and it was fine. I turned my car on and showed them: no light.

The Mazda dealer didn't seem too worked up about the airbag recall in my car, either.  They sent me letters saying to call and check parts availability/schedule replacement, but no mention of rental cars, parking the car, etc.

theknitcycle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2016, 09:48:08 AM »
I got a notice that also mentioned the airbag problem and that parts would be available in late summer, but no mention of a free rental car or any other remediation/temporary solution.  Pretty much sounded like "there is a problem, we'll fix it later.  Stay tuned for more information and try not to die in the meantime."   I didn't think much of it since the issue is so widespread and yet so unlikely to arise for any specific car/driver... but I guess I'll feel pretty dumb now if it does happen in the next few months... good thing it's lovely biking weather! 

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
I got a notice that also mentioned the airbag problem and that parts would be available in late summer, but no mention of a free rental car or any other remediation/temporary solution.  Pretty much sounded like "there is a problem, we'll fix it later.  Stay tuned for more information and try not to die in the meantime."   I didn't think much of it since the issue is so widespread and yet so unlikely to arise for any specific car/driver... but I guess I'll feel pretty dumb now if it does happen in the next few months... good thing it's lovely biking weather!

I honestly wasn't too worried bc as you mention the odds are pretty low that you'll both get in a wreck and have a faulty airbag. I honestly just wanted to drive something new and put miles on someone else's car since it was free. I can now say the Chrysler 200 is much more boring to drive than a honda fit. At least is has a nice stereo and XM radio.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »
Guys, they're not saying come get a free rental car on us. That's just the experience many of us have had when we call the local dealer (who doesn't care - it's Honda corporate that's paying). If you haven't called the local dealer you might as well.

(The dealer probably even likes it, because even if 1% of the people come in and decide to trade it in for a new Honda rather than having their car sit around, they make money.)

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2016, 10:40:16 AM »
Guys, they're not saying come get a free rental car on us. That's just the experience many of us have had when we call the local dealer (who doesn't care - it's Honda corporate that's paying). If you haven't called the local dealer you might as well.

Well they kind of are saying that IMO. The recall notice from Honda Corporate says they will provide alternate transportation until the parts are available. I also assume that they will recoup these costs from Takata to the extent possible.   

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2016, 10:46:18 AM »

Well they kind of are saying that IMO. The recall notice from Honda Corporate says they will provide alternate transportation until the parts are available. I also assume that they will recoup these costs from Takata to the extent possible.

Didn't see that in my letter - of course, like a fool, I quickly read it over, decided there was nothing I could do, and threw it out. Then I saw this thread and had my rental 6 hours later.

fa

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2016, 11:15:24 AM »

I honestly wasn't too worried bc as you mention the odds are pretty low that you'll both get in a wreck and have a faulty airbag. I honestly just wanted to drive something new and put miles on someone else's car since it was free. I can now say the Chrysler 200 is much more boring to drive than a honda fit. At least is has a nice stereo and XM radio.

Of course this is not a problem until it is a problem.  If a driver gets injured or killed by flying shrapnel from the airbag, the liability for even one case would be rather huge.  I happily drove the car before I knew.  But now I know.  I will take the rental and drive the Honda after the repair.

Stockmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
I was just contacted by the Honda dealership. The part to fix my Honda Fit is now in stock. I had called when I received the recall letter and asked how to disable the airbag and they had immediately offered me a rental, which I took. In order to get the rental they had me sign a waiver saying I would not drive the Fit for any reason until they had a chance to fix it. Interestingly, they told me to drive the car in for the fix. When I reminded them of their waiver I had to sign, they said they'd have an employee come pick it up. This seems to be a very mismanaged process. They must be so thankful that VW is taking all the recall coverage.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2016, 02:49:42 PM »
I was just contacted by the Honda dealership. The part to fix my Honda Fit is now in stock. I had called when I received the recall letter and asked how to disable the airbag and they had immediately offered me a rental, which I took. In order to get the rental they had me sign a waiver saying I would not drive the Fit for any reason until they had a chance to fix it. Interestingly, they told me to drive the car in for the fix. When I reminded them of their waiver I had to sign, they said they'd have an employee come pick it up. This seems to be a very mismanaged process. They must be so thankful that VW is taking all the recall coverage.

Would you mind sharing where you are, regionally? I think they're distributing them geographically.

Stockmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2016, 04:03:44 PM »
Northern California.

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2016, 04:49:05 PM »
I'm in SoCal and received a message that the parts are in for my Honda Fit and I have three days to get the car in or they will begin charging me for the rental....when I called in, I just got an answering machine. After trying to get through for hours, I left a message with a customer service rep. Someone finally called me back, saying,"It's all going to be ok, nobody is going to charge you, don't worry about the three days." Today I got an appointment for this Saturday. Looking forward to driving my Fit again.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »
We got a call this morning at 9am that the part was in. Towing company picked the car up around noon. Got a call from the dealer that the car was done at 2pm. Swapped the rental for our Fit at the dealer at 4pm. Done and done.

Hopefully the rest of you have as pleasant experience as we did!

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2016, 03:00:11 PM »
Our Fit is fixed!  SW Ohio.

Funny story, I got there right before closing time, and when they went to get my car they just left it running out front and told me to go away.  Fortunately, I recognized that although it was a black 2012 honda fit, it was not MY black 2012 honda fit.

Pounded on the door until they unlocked it and made a nuisance of myself until they had someone go find my car.

shusherstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
We got a call this morning at 9am that the part was in. Towing company picked the car up around noon. Got a call from the dealer that the car was done at 2pm. Swapped the rental for our Fit at the dealer at 4pm. Done and done.

Hopefully the rest of you have as pleasant experience as we did!

Just got mine back this morning after driving a rental for a month and a half. I look forward to a summer of projects in prep for some major house updates.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2016, 08:13:42 AM »
Mine got fixed yesterday. Now the problem is having gotten used to the features in newer cars and concerns about the 2010 Fit's crash ratings...

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2016, 09:23:44 AM »
Glad I saw this thread, I tossed the recall notice off to the side. Called the dealership this morning and the guy mentioned they would get me a rental car.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »
I see today that 2010 Honda Fits are now about to be recalled for their passenger side airbag. Less than a week after I got it back. %$&^#!!

CLB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »
We picked our rental yesterday after waiting a month or so for a rental to become available. Our local Honda dealer said that they should be able to fix it by late June. We're hoping that it goes a little longer, for we've got a road trip in late June and would rather use the rental for it.

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2016, 07:17:39 PM »
A few weeks after my driver's side airbag got replaced,(and several weeks with car rental) I received notice that the passenger side airbag of my Honda Fit was under recall as well. I've been waiting, waiting and months later, no parts are available yet. I was told this time rentals would be on a case-by-case-basis and would need to be approved by American Honda. It's getting really inconvenient and frustrating to not be able to have passengers in my car.

Anyone else still waiting? I'm in SoCal.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2016, 09:40:05 PM »
Canada, still waiting. I gave them notice that I'll be taking a free rental from them before the roads get slick. They said okay.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2016, 04:40:11 AM »
I ended up selling my Fit because of this. We're about to become a family of five, and "just don't use the passenger seat" won't work.

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2016, 05:54:34 AM »
I have a 2010 fit, i have been getting letters for 3 different recalls for years now.
I am too lazy to give them my car, too much hassle. I hate being "out"

The dealer actually called me too, said there would be a free car rental and all. I just really hate going out...

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
I have a 2010 fit, i have been getting letters for 3 different recalls for years now.
I am too lazy to give them my car, too much hassle. I hate being "out"

The dealer actually called me too, said there would be a free car rental and all. I just really hate going out...

You should do it. The danger increases with time. Dealerships are annoying as hell, I know, but it's not worth dying over.

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2016, 05:18:47 PM »
Moonlite, ask them to come get your car since it is considered too dangerous to drive. That might solve your problem! But do get it fixed. Stay safe!

I do like the FIT and don't want to sell it, but it is getting frustrating and would consider selling it if I had kids. I just really don't won't the hassle or the expenditure of shopping for a new-to-me car right now. My 2009 managed to skate through most other recalls (but did get poor driver's side crash ratings), and it needs to last another 8 years at least.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2016, 01:14:35 PM »
My dealership was told that delivery of their recall kits had been expedited and that a shipment should arrive by mid-to-late April rather than mid-summer. We'll see if that happens! I drive my 2010 Fit infrequently and will be able to make do without requesting a rental if that's the case.

The dealership finally called in mid-October to say my recall kit had arrived. So much for that expedited shipment! They performed the repair immediately and threw in a complimentary car wash.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2016, 02:46:07 PM »
The dealership finally called in mid-October to say my recall kit had arrived. So much for that expedited shipment! They performed the repair immediately and threw in a complimentary car wash.

I learned a pro and con to this...

The pro? One day they might all actually be fixed.
The con? If we accept their loaner (i.e., rental paid by them), we must return the loaner the day the part arrives, or we will be charged the full rental fee from then onward. This means that people have been returning from vacations early, because they were away when the part came in and couldn't afford the additional "vacation" cost. What a really shitty policy, Honda!

I get to decide whether to drive the car as-is through highest crash season or risk paying the difference on rental days if the part comes even one day into my 2-3 week trip. Bah.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2016, 02:48:39 PM »
I had my Fit's airbag recall done about a month ago. It took less than an hour to complete. It did take like 6 months for them to get the part though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!