Author Topic: Honda Fit Recall - any experience?  (Read 26097 times)

ditheca

• Bristles
Honda Fit Recall - any experience?
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:07:25 AM »
We just got a recall notice for our 2012 honda fit.  Apparently when the driver's airbag deploys a piece inside can explode into metal shrapnel and kill people.

The notice we got also says that they won't have replacement parts until Summer, and suggests calling them to arrange temporary alternative transportation.

Any idea what I should expect when I call? What do you think I should ask for when I call?

HTSA RECALL NUMBER: 16V-061
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: Takata Driver Airbag Inflator
RECALL DATE: 02/12/2016
SUMMARY:
SPECIFICALLY, IN SOME VEHICLES, THE DRIVER'S FRONT AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE UPON DEPLOYMENT. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE (BREAK APART) AND DEPLOY ABNORMALLY.

SAFETY RISK:
IN THE EVENT OF AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, METAL FRAGMENTS COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIRBAG CUSHION MATERIAL POSSIBLY CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY OR FATALITY TO YOU OR OTHERS IN THE VEHICLE. PAST RUPTURES LIKE THIS HAVE KILLED AND INJURED VEHICLE DRIVERS.

REMEDY:
THE REMEDY PARTS NEEDED TO CONDUCT DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALLS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN SUMMER OF 2016. HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS IN AN INITIAL LETTER WITH A SECOND LETTER BEING MAILED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAI LABLE. PLEASE DISCUSS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS WITH YOUR DEALER, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF, OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR, TEMPORARY ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AS NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA'S AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-888-234-2138. HONDA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JY1.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Honda Fit Recall - any experience?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:25:30 AM »
This is part of the massive Takata recall. Just Google Takata and you'll get tons of articles.

I don't know about the temporary transportation, I'd be surprised if they're going to give you a loaner for months on end, but you never know.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:57:29 AM »

... What do you think I should ask for when I call?...

Body armor?

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 09:16:49 AM »
We are also getting our 2009 Fit recalled.  We called our local dealership and they are covering the cost of a rental car (full or midsize) until the repair is complete.  Call your nearest dealership and they will get you set up.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
Yes, I received notification on my Honda Ridgeline as well.  I recommend not deploying the airbag :-)

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
This is part of the massive Takata recall. Just Google Takata and you'll get tons of articles.

I don't know about the temporary transportation, I'd be surprised if they're going to give you a loaner for months on end, but you never know.
I don't know, it seems like they could arrange loaner vehicles from the used car inventory of dealers without too much trouble. I'm sure they'd want to make sure that you are properly insured for the loaner and would charge something if you select a loaner that is more valuable than the recall vehicle. I would find it acceptable to simply disable the potentially dangerous airbags until repair could be made.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 09:47:08 AM »
Huh, I didn't see that option. Guess I'll call them up...

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »
Your dealer will be happy to replace the defective airbags because nearly all of the auto companies are very eager to get any and all affected cars (many millions of affected vehicles) fixed. In general, it's not good for auto companies to have a large number of outstanding recalls.

When you call, there is a very good chance that you'll not be able to take it in immediately since there is a nationwide backlog of pending repairs as dealers wait for new airbags from different suppliers. Just be patient and take the first available opening your dealer offers you to perform the repair. The repair itself shouldn't take more than an hour or two, even if the dealer is busy so you can probably plan on waiting there or nearby while it's being fixed.

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 11:50:36 AM »
Our recall letter noted that parts would not be available until the summer.  If you are in an area with the parts, you may not have the same options.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 12:28:06 PM »
I had both front airbags in my Mazdaspeed6 replaced under recall a few weeks ago. It took them about 2.5 hours.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 12:33:44 PM »
My husband's Fit was part of the recall, and like you we were told mid-summer for the parts. The dealership has given him a rental car until the repairs can be made. We had to pay a $50 deposit but that's it. We're leaving the Fit in our driveway, they made him sign a thing that says he won't drive it until its repaired - obviously to cover their butts so we can't sue if he gets killed by a faulty airbag.

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 01:58:21 PM »
Our friend's are also getting a rental for 3-5 months (paid for by Honda) and parking their Fit until parts are available. 

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 02:12:04 PM »
Thanks for the all the responses!

If we get a rental car paid for by Honda, do we need to buy insurance for it?

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 02:49:49 PM »

If we get a rental car paid for by Honda, do we need to buy insurance for it?

Your existing car insurance will extend to the rental. If you don't have comprehensive/collision you might want to think about that - if something happens to the rental you'll be on the hook for it. Best idea is to talk to your insurance agent to be sure.

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 07:47:07 PM »
I just called today about my 2009 Fit; I was offered a rental (Honda Accord 2014 or newer), but they were not willing to reimburse me for the extra cost in gas when driving the larger car. They also said I'd need to sign a waiver indicating I would not drive the Fit.

I called American Honda and they said there is nothing they can do about the extra cost of gas, and I should speak with the District Parts Manager to ask them to cover it. I'll try again; can't hurt to ask.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »
I just called today about my 2009 Fit; I was offered a rental (Honda Accord 2014 or newer), but they were not willing to reimburse me for the extra cost in gas when driving the larger car. They also said I'd need to sign a waiver indicating I would not drive the Fit.

I called American Honda and they said there is nothing they can do about the extra cost of gas, and I should speak with the District Parts Manager to ask them to cover it. I'll try again; can't hurt to ask.

2009 Honda Fit/MPG
Up to 28 city / 35 highway

2014 Honda Accord/MPG
Up to 27 city / 36 highway

What exactly do you want them to cover?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 08:02:12 AM »
I have an appointment with them at 2 to get a rental car. They ask that I leave the car in the driveway and get a ride from somebody to the dealership.

Has anybody seen if they simply want to buy the car off of them? I doubt they do since the dealership would have to do that and Honda corporate is paying for the rental, right?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 12:31:09 PM »
Got a 2015 Hyundai Elantra. (They are out of dealership loaners and are simply working through Enterprise Rent-A-Car.) Note that you have to sign that you won't sell your Honda to anybody but the dealership during the period. I imagine you could simply return your rental car and sell it if you wanted to, though.

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
I called corporate and a local dealer hoping for a better deal, since we don't need two cars (my bicycle works just fine).  I couldn't find anyone admitting to having any negotiating power.  I asked for $10/day instead of a rental car.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 01:12:34 PM »
$10/day would be nice, but this is our only car.

What should I do to the Fit that's sitting on the street to prepare it for its three months of idleness?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »

What should I do to the Fit that's sitting on the street to prepare it for its three months of idleness?

I would make sure the tires are properly inflated and put a battery tender on it every month or so (or bring the battery inside and put it on a battery tender).

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »

I would make sure the tires are properly inflated and put a battery tender on it every month or so (or bring the battery inside and put it on a battery tender).

OK, thanks. Filled the tires up not long ago and they'll only be getting warmer for the rest of the summer. Do I need to do anything to the gasoline in it, or will that be fine?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »

OK, thanks. Filled the tires up not long ago and they'll only be getting warmer for the rest of the summer. Do I need to do anything to the gasoline in it, or will that be fine?

Gas should be fine, but it's a good idea to fill the tank before parking it.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 06:18:16 PM »
Whoa I got this for our 2013 Fit. I didn't realize it was so serious! (I thought the rental was for while they fixed it in the shop for a day or so) Guess I"ll call them tomorrow. Thankfully it's not winter anymore as rentals never have snowtires.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 06:30:26 PM »
Whoa I got this for our 2013 Fit. I didn't realize it was so serious! (I thought the rental was for while they fixed it in the shop for a day or so) Guess I"ll call them tomorrow. Thankfully it's not winter anymore as rentals never have snowtires.

Yeah, it's a pretty big deal: http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/takatalist.html

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 12:17:14 PM »
Thanks for the alert! We actually had a front-end accident in our 2009 Fit, in 2009. Glad it didn't set off the airbags, jeez!

DH got tge rental car, and we will fill gas in the Fit, then run it periodically to charge the battery. Or figure out what a battery tender is. We have a solar battery charger so maybe that would work? Hmmm, time to do research.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »
My dealership was told that delivery of their recall kits had been expedited and that a shipment should arrive by mid-to-late April rather than mid-summer. We'll see if that happens! I drive my 2010 Fit infrequently and will be able to make do without requesting a rental if that's the case.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 01:13:43 PM »
Thanks for the alert! We actually had a front-end accident in our 2009 Fit, in 2009. Glad it didn't set off the airbags, jeez!

Odds are the airbags would've deployed normally. The problem is that, over time, moisture gets into the explosives they use to inflate the airbags, which affects the chemical reaction, leading to unpredictable deployment. They're prioritizing hot, humid locations for parts, because that's where it's most likely to happen. The problem likely won't manifest on a brand new car.

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 03:22:12 PM »
Jlee, I was told when I called that they expected the Accord to run $10-20 more than the Fit.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 04:32:23 PM »
Jlee, I was told when I called that they expected the Accord to run $10-20 more than the Fit.

$10-20 more for what?

2704b59cc36a

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 10:13:54 PM »
I picked up my rental car today. The dealership went through 60 loaner cars and ended up sending me to Enterprise for a rental. I got a brand new Corolla and miss my Fit already but I get to put wear and tear on another vehicle for 3-6 months and I'm not paying for it. And I hope that new car smell doesn't give me the new car bug...

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 06:25:15 AM »
I'm feeling a lot better after reading this, my husband and I traded ours in (we each had one) and sometimes we miss them.  Not after reading this.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 06:59:14 AM »
DeltaBond, what do the two of you drive now? This recall is enormous and will include tens of millions of vehicles sold by various manufacturers. Notices will probably continue being sent out for the next three years.

shusherstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 07:05:10 AM »
I picked up my rental car today. The dealership went through 60 loaner cars and ended up sending me to Enterprise for a rental. I got a brand new Corolla and miss my Fit already but I get to put wear and tear on another vehicle for 3-6 months and I'm not paying for it. And I hope that new car smell doesn't give me the new car bug...

Ditto, on every count. :-)

I miss my hauling capacity already.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »

I know! I need 22 feet of PVC and I don't know how I'll fit it in the Elantra.

(Got a totally overloaded gutter replaced, and I didn't DIY that part because it's at 2.5 stories and I needed a huge and solid gutter. Now I need a trench to pipe it away from the foundation.)

It's renewed my used Leaf itch, though. I asked the dealership and they didn't indicate that they're paying extra for cars under recall, which I would have thought Honda would want to do to stop paying for so many rentals.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 08:11:02 AM »

My issue too- I have a Ridgeline and spring is coming- I may just rent a truck at HD when I need to.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
I'm feeling a lot better after reading this, my husband and I traded ours in (we each had one) and sometimes we miss them.  Not after reading this.

This has nothing to do with Honda.  This is a recall for Takata airbags, which are used by many manufacturers.

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2016, 01:45:49 PM »
Jlee I didn't think to ask at the time - was still wrapping my head around the whole venture. She must have been talking about price to fill the tank, not mileage. When I picked up the car today, Enterprise was running out of cars fast. They gave me a Dodge Dart, which is nice enough, a bit larger than I'm used to, but it's fine considering they only had trucks left after that. They said I'd need to bring it in every 30 days or so to swap it out for something else. It seems the kits they may be getting in April are extremely limited, if they get them at all, and they aren't sure which cars they'll get kits for. This may take a while...

Oh they did say Honda would pay to get the car towed in for repairs if I didn't feel safe driving it to the dealership.

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
Honda Fit Recall - any experience?
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »
Jlee I didn't think to ask at the time - was still wrapping my head around the whole venture. She must have been talking about price to fill the tank, not mileage. When I picked up the car today, Enterprise was running out of cars fast. They gave me a Dodge Dart, which is nice enough, a bit larger than I'm used to, but it's fine considering they only had trucks left after that. They said I'd need to bring it in every 30 days or so to swap it out for something else. It seems the kits they may be getting in April are extremely limited, if they get them at all, and they aren't sure which cars they'll get kits for. This may take a while...

Oh they did say Honda would pay to get the car towed in for repairs if I didn't feel safe driving it to the dealership.

Glad you got set up. Do make sure not to go over the 30 days. At least if you are in the US, if you have a rental car for more than 30 days your auto insurance company will no longer consider it a temporary replacement and may decline coverage if something happens. Then either you have to deal with rental company insurance, or - and I have seen this happen- the rental company could potentially charge your deposit card for the cost of any damage to the rental plus loss of use. PS- never use a debit card for a rental deposit, for this reason.

Stay safe everyone.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2016, 03:24:06 AM »
My dealership was told that delivery of their recall kits had been expedited and that a shipment should arrive by mid-to-late April rather than mid-summer. We'll see if that happens! I drive my 2010 Fit infrequently and will be able to make do without requesting a rental if that's the case.

Where are you people getting rentals located? I'm in Maine and I called and they said they weren't doing anything until I got a 'second letter' and that the parts would probably be in in April. I asked if it was safe to drive and said my friends had needed a rental and the dealer made no mention of the rental and essentially said "we can't tell you it's safe but we're not worried".   Should I call them back and be more persistent??? We need two cars and the Fit is our long haul car.    At this point I'm going to call back this week and see if the parts are in. I need my snowtires off as well so I want to do it all at once.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2016, 04:41:41 AM »
I heard nothing about 30 days and my insurance company confirmed that I was all set (and said it was the fifth call that rep had taken about it that day.) So, there's a lot of regional variation, it seems.

kimmarg, it may be that if they're getting the parts in April and you're in Maine (they're most worried about tropical locations) that they think they can get away without it. I would be kinda tempted to sell the car in your situation, though I do really like the Fit.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2016, 06:11:10 AM »

Where are you people getting rentals located? I'm in Maine and I called and they said they weren't doing anything until I got a 'second letter' and that the parts would probably be in in April. I asked if it was safe to drive and said my friends had needed a rental and the dealer made no mention of the rental and essentially said "we can't tell you it's safe but we're not worried".   Should I call them back and be more persistent??? We need two cars and the Fit is our long haul car.    At this point I'm going to call back this week and see if the parts are in. I need my snowtires off as well so I want to do it all at once.

Call the Honda number in your letter and get a case ID, which will give you a bit more firepower with the dealer. Regardless, they should not be denying rentals to anybody because Honda corporate is paying for them.

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »
I am not sure if the 30 day car-swap is because my insurance won't cover it or some regulation with Enterprise, for example maybe they are required to check out a car every 30 days to make sure it's still safe, etc. My insurance simply said that's fine, you're covered, and didn't mention anything about the 30 days.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2016, 01:47:01 PM »
Does anybody's state emission inspection deadline fall in the waiting period? Mine is, and I have signed this contract that I won't move it (though I am running it around the block every so often so the brakes don't rust together). Anybody else have this problem? What do I do about it?

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2016, 03:24:39 PM »
Does anybody's state emission inspection deadline fall in the waiting period? Mine is, and I have signed this contract that I won't move it (though I am running it around the block every so often so the brakes don't rust together). Anybody else have this problem? What do I do about it?

What state? I think most states just won't let you re-register until you have a passing test, which doesn't matter since you won't be driving it. If it isn't registered when your dealer calls, just make them tow it in, then take it directly to emissions testing. You should be able to get any late fee waived with the signed, dated no-drive contract and the receipt from the recall work.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2016, 08:39:23 AM »
Me too, so following...

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2016, 10:57:29 AM »
My local dealership says they are getting airbags in slowly, and they might get to mine in May, which would take care of my problem, otherwise they'll bring it in to do the inspection so I don't have a sticker problem.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »

What state? I think most states just won't let you re-register until you have a passing test, which doesn't matter since you won't be driving it. If it isn't registered when your dealer calls, just make them tow it in, then take it directly to emissions testing. You should be able to get any late fee waived with the signed, dated no-drive contract and the receipt from the recall work.
Here in California, I know that you can pay the registration fee on time to avoid a late penalty. When you're ready to move the car (still not registered, but fees paid) you can get a permit to move it on specific days to get the emissions testing and recall work done. I'm pretty sure the state will charge the late fee if you haven't paid on time regardless of signed agreement to leave the car parked.

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »
Glad I ran across this thread. I picked up my rental yesterday. Yay free car!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2016, 05:24:21 PM »
I checked here. My local place made no mention of free car, but when I said other customers were getting them elsewhere, they said I could have one...but that I have to buy rental insurance coverage and that most customers are opting out for that reason. Not free car, boo Honda!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!