Author Topic: Honda Fit opinions wanted  (Read 12191 times)

thelittlebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Honda Fit opinions wanted
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
Hey all, so I'm shopping for a new car because 07 Honda Accord was totaled. I got some awesome suggestions from you all already about cars to replace it with and found I really like the Honda Fit. My problem is that I really prefer manual - there are very few options in my area to choose from. I drove both the manual and automatic and just really prefer to drive a manual, and in the long run, my understanding is that manuals are lower cost to maintain. I'm not a car afficionado, but I do change my own oil/rotate my own tires kinda thing, so what I don't know is how to decide between a lower priced car with higher miles or a higher priced car with lower miles.

Here is what I am replacing: 07 Honda Accord manual with 59k miles - been driving it since college and expected to drive it til the wheels fell off 10ish years from now, but which point I figured a greener option would hopefully be common and I could replace it with an environmentally friendly car. The settlement from insurance was $8100, which includes a chunk to cover taxes on buying a new car.

Of the ones available in my area, there are a couple with low mileage - 30k-70k that are listed between $9000-10,500. Then there are a few that have 130-160k miles and are listed more in the $4000-7000 range.

Whatever I do end up with, I would plan to drive til it fell apart (or another distracted high schooler has to live down the infamy of running into multiple teachers right outside the school). The mustachian side of me would rather go for the lower priced car and leverage a bump to my savings, but my family is pushing toward the lower mileage cars that I would have to pay extra for now, but would theoretically last longer (extra that as a single teacher who just started a business on the side I would really rather not pay).

What would you do?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
Re: Honda Fit opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:21:49 PM »
What's your expected average annual miles driven? The less you drive the less it makes sense to pay a premium for a car that will last you longer. Planned use also affects the relative value of newer vs lower mileage to you. If you drive a lot, you want to find a car that has relatively low miles for its age to get the discount for the age, but still have miles of use. If you drive little, a newer but more heavily used car might be a better deal for you.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:56:29 PM »
We have a 2012 Fit, and they are very practical cars. Ours is a manual too - the autos are sluggish and utterly boring to drive, as you discovered. Unfortunately, Fits do not depreciate much. We bought ours new for $17k cash because that made more sense than $15k for a 3 year old model with 50k miles already on it. The only negatives about them are the seats aren't as comfortable on long trips and the lack of functional cup holders.

The Nissan Versa depreciates faster from a lower base price and has more rear leg room. So consider that too.

randommadness

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 03:38:47 PM »
I have an automatic (ugh) 2007 Sport I beat the shit out of daily.

She doesn't like starting in the cold...  Peppy little thing for a 1.5L. The utility of the backseats is phenomenal.

If I remember I'll look through my paperwork, I've had her since about 113k (buddy had her for 20?+k before me), she's at around 148k? now, I've only had one engine issue. I'll try and look that out. Obviously could have been due to me being an asshole driver (to her), but who knows.

Also my driver side visor is now drooping. Which feels bad man. Feels real bad.

I get terrible gas mileage cause it's mostly city (like 26mpg) , but the one time I stuck to 55 for a tank I got about 36 mpg. The one time I did 90 for a thousand miles with a big ass bag on the car I got about 21 mpg.

Extremely easy to parallel park due to the great vision you have all around. I love the damn car. 5 of 7 would buy again.

Sorry for this disjointed post if you have any specific questions lemme know.

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »
FWIW, I have a 2015 Versa Note S that I bought new for $10,600.  I got it over the Fit because of the additional back seat room and price point.  I only have 7k miles on it so far, but I love this car.  My only complaint is the lack of technology, but I guess that's to be expected in a brand new car for only $10,600.  Just wanted to say that there are other options in the same category that might be worth looking into.

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:38:22 PM »
We just bought a 2016 "new" Honda Fit LX.  Automatic.  We drove the manual 2017 car but really preferred the automatic as they are rated for better gas mileage which surprised me.   Our 2001 car finally bit the dust so we made the purchase.   So far I'm in love with the car and we've only had it one week.   I think we got a great deal at 16,100.

MattC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »
Buy the cheap high milage one.  They're super reliable and with the money you save, you'll be able to maintain the thing for the rest of its life.  Read through the user reported repairs on fitfreak and truedelta and you'll see the problems with the car are not that frequent or expensive.  It's even easy to work on, and the common problems with it (valves out of spec, coil packs, the base model locks sticking and needing a remote door opener) can be done DIY.  Even an engine swap is only an 8 hour job by the book. 

thelittlebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 08:42:50 PM »
My parents bought the accord for me back in college, so I've driven just under 60k miles in 10 years, so average of about 6,000 miles a year. I don't know how realistic that is going forward because that accounts for two summers/semesters where I was living elsewhere and my car stayed home and the eight months I've spent backpacking the AT in the last four years. Although I still don't drive that much. I don't really like driving and would much prefer to walk, so I try to minimize my driving.

I did notice that the automatic is supposed to get better gas mileage, but I just really prefer how the manual handles.

Most of the options I have been considering so far are 2008-2010. There isn't really anything else available right now in the used, manual options.

I haven't looked at the Versa, depends on whether the seat adjusts so I can see over the steering wheel - many cars are ruled out for that reason, I'm extra short.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 07:01:25 AM »
I owned a 2007 Sport 5-speed for 4 years and a 2008 Sport 5-speed for 2 years. Fantastic cars. Just sold the 2008 to my sister because she needed reliable transportation. Sound like you'd be fine getting the higher mileage ones; just look for one that looks and feels well-loved and you should be fine. In the 2008, at 80K I replaced ignition coils and spark plugs. Restored the pep! It also has a sagging rear suspension, but I think it was abused before I owned it. Most don't have that issue - my 2007 hauled some serious items when I had it and never showed any issues.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 07:33:08 AM »
I haven't looked at the Versa, depends on whether the seat adjusts so I can see over the steering wheel - many cars are ruled out for that reason, I'm extra short.

I'm pretty short myself and just bought a new Fit.  I love it and the seat adjusts plenty so there's no issue with not being able to see over the wheel.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »
My parents bought the accord for me back in college, so I've driven just under 60k miles in 10 years, so average of about 6,000 miles a year. I don't know how realistic that is going forward because that accounts for two summers/semesters where I was living elsewhere and my car stayed home and the eight months I've spent backpacking the AT in the last four years. Although I still don't drive that much. I don't really like driving and would much prefer to walk, so I try to minimize my driving.

I did notice that the automatic is supposed to get better gas mileage, but I just really prefer how the manual handles.

Most of the options I have been considering so far are 2008-2010. There isn't really anything else available right now in the used, manual options.

It sounds like a high estimate for your annual mileage might be 8k. The frugal choice is almost certainly the higher mileage option.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 09:02:01 AM »
Make sure you get one with non-recalled airbags for as many people as you'll seat in it. I sold our 2010 because "just don't use the passenger seat" wasn't going to work for us.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »
Make sure you get one with non-recalled airbags for as many people as you'll seat in it. I sold our 2010 because "just don't use the passenger seat" wasn't going to work for us.

I bought my 2015 manual Fit a few months ago (from Carmax, had it shipped from another state for a fee that was worth it to me), and the Honda dealership fixed the recalled airbag issue for no charge in one day, so I wouldn't necessarily let that factor into your purchase.

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »
I would consider expanding your search area. I've had a 09 fit manual for four years now. I bought it several states away for 11K when it was 3 years old with 45K miles. That included the 100K mile honda certified warranty. The savings was well worth the $250 plane ticket. Then I just drove it home.

I completely disagree with the previous poster about seat comfort. It may be my weird back but I love the seats in the fit. They are actually much more comfortable than the 10 way adjustable seats I had in my luxury brand clown car. Personally I really like the cup holders near the doors too. They put my coffee in the perfect spot. My fit has made 3 long road trips coast to coast racking up about 10K miles each time.

So far, I have been able to do all maintenance myself using youtube and fit forums. Mine currently has 130+K miles and nothing (knock on wood) has gone wrong. Given your low miles driven, I wouldn't be too worried about one with 125-130K miles. I sure hope and expect to get 200 out of mine without much trouble. The only issue I've encountered is that mine uses some oil. This is not that uncommon in honda's vtec engines. I only change oil every 12K give or take and add 2 quarts in that time. It's not a big deal at all just something to keep a check on.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 12:53:07 PM »

I bought my 2015 manual Fit a few months ago (from Carmax, had it shipped from another state for a fee that was worth it to me), and the Honda dealership fixed the recalled airbag issue for no charge in one day, so I wouldn't necessarily let that factor into your purchase.

Airbag availability is highly variable. At least make sure the airbag can be taken care of first.

thelittlebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »
Yeah, the airbag thing had me wondering. Having just been in a crash where I was rapidly introduced to the airbag, "face meet airbag, airbag meet face," in a car that  thankfully I had gotten the recalled airbag fixed on, I'm a little gunshy about driving a car with a recalled airbag. I haven't actually called a dealer in the area, but the carfax.com reports for some of the ones I've looked at say a fixed airbag isn't available yet, which seems odd given that the recall was back in January for the ones I was looking at.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 03:16:18 PM »

I'm pretty short myself and just bought a new Fit.  I love it and the seat adjusts plenty so there's no issue with not being able to see over the wheel.

4'11". Very comfy in my Fit.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 04:45:14 PM »
They are actually much more comfortable than the 10 way adjustable seats I had in my luxury brand clown car.

I agree. I went on a road trip with my mom in her brand new BMW X5 clown car, and the button that allows you to save your seat preferences when you switch drivers wasn't working, so I spent a good 5 minutes getting the seat sorted out each time I took over driving from her. Ridiculous. The Fit seat adjusts in seconds, and I find it comfortable for my 16-hour round trip drive to work each month.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 06:16:19 PM »
Yeah, the airbag thing had me wondering. Having just been in a crash where I was rapidly introduced to the airbag, "face meet airbag, airbag meet face," in a car that  thankfully I had gotten the recalled airbag fixed on, I'm a little gunshy about driving a car with a recalled airbag. I haven't actually called a dealer in the area, but the carfax.com reports for some of the ones I've looked at say a fixed airbag isn't available yet, which seems odd given that the recall was back in January for the ones I was looking at.

Both driver's and passenger's side airbags were recalled. On mine the driver's side got fixed after a few months of rental cars courtesy of Honda. When I saw that passenger ones were getting recalled too and there would be a wait where they wouldn't pay for a rental, I balked. So check which side is bad -if you won't have a passenger and the driver's side is fixed I don't see that it matters.

thelittlebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
So here's one of the options I'm looking at: http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5889706492.html

I contacted the guy to ask what sort of repairs it has needed over the years and this was his response: "I just had the AC compressor replaced because the AC went out this summer. So it has a brand new system put in. Also brand new tires were put on less than a 1000 miles ago. Finally the check engine light came on and I changed he ignition coils and it turned off. This was a common issue with the 07 and 08 fits. It's good to go now."

He also says it's never been in a wreck and he has all the service records. I haven't bought the Carfax for it yet, but it says there are 46 records on the repot.

Any thoughts from those more experienced with the Fit/buying off craigslist?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 06:40:18 PM »
Run the VIN on SaferCar.gov to check the recall status. His reason for selling is bonkers but not everybody makes good decisions I guess.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 07:48:55 PM »
His reason for selling is bonkers but not everybody makes good decisions I guess.

No kidding. And I'm not sure the marketing ploy regarding the full tank of gas (0.5% of the asking price, I'm estimating) merits 3 exclamation points, although I suppose it's a nice gesture.

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 06:00:25 AM »
So here's one of the options I'm looking at: http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5889706492.html

I contacted the guy to ask what sort of repairs it has needed over the years and this was his response: "I just had the AC compressor replaced because the AC went out this summer. So it has a brand new system put in. Also brand new tires were put on less than a 1000 miles ago. Finally the check engine light came on and I changed he ignition coils and it turned off. This was a common issue with the 07 and 08 fits. It's good to go now."

He also says it's never been in a wreck and he has all the service records. I haven't bought the Carfax for it yet, but it says there are 46 records on the repot.

Any thoughts from those more experienced with the Fit/buying off craigslist?

The ad is gone. I guess he sold it, maybe to you? Anyway the two reasons I went for an 09 or newer. There are a couple more inches of legroom for the driver which I liked. The other is that the rear headrests were redesigned. In the 07-08 they must be removed and stored (in your way) to put the rear seats flat. They retract all the way into the seats starting in 09. These are not really big issues but enough for me to get an 09.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 06:04:54 AM »

4'11". Very comfy in my Fit.

For an alternative point of view, if it helps anyone else: I'm 5'7" and my husband is a wee bit taller - both of us are really comfy. The fit seems to hit a level of "oh god I'm crammed in here" around 6'2"-4" (both my dad and my brother feel crammed and uncomfortable in it).

thelittlebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 09:48:47 AM »
I didn't end up getting the 08, so it must have sold to someone else. I'm in Cincy and went to look at an 08 that was available here (but in really bad shape) just to see how the 08 was different from the 09+ and noticed the same thing about the headrests. It was enough to make me drag my feet about driving up to Columbus for the other one and apparently enough to let it go to someone else.

Thanks for the size "squish" rating Kitsune. I love your description. As I and my family are all much close to 5' than 6' it shouldn't be a problem - being 4'9" I always say I'm travel size for my own convenience.

It's looking like I may have to look farther away than a 2 hr radius and go with something at a used car dealership. There are no more craigslist options in manual in my area.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 09:51:18 AM »
I test drove a Fit and thought it was super comfortable, easy to handle, exactly the size car I enjoy driving (I was going from a Civic.)  The modular seats made it seem great for transporting things.

In the end, the reason I didn't buy it was because I plan to have kids in the backseat.  The distance from the rear bumper to the backseat was just too small for me to feel at all comfortable if we were in an accident.  If I was going to be the only person in the car, I'd feel a bit better.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »
I'm 5'4 and drove a 2007 Honda Fit Sport with a manual transmission.  It was essentially the perfect car.  I got way over 40 mpg moving cross-country fully loaded with my dog (almost all highway, and paying attention to acceleration, although not excessively).  I can't tell from your original post if you test drove an older manual fit or not.  I found it easy as a manual, and generally everything is very "tight" or "sporty" for lack of a better word.  Don't need to move the steering wheel or clutch or brake much to get a response.

fa

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 10:19:53 AM »

Tons of cars have had their airbags recalled, even fancy expensive ones.  Honda allocates who gets an airbag first based on unknown factors.  However, Honda pays for a free rental car as long as you sign off that you will not drive the car while you have the rental.  Something tells me that people with a rental probably get taken care of first.  The rental was serious money for Honda.  The repair itself took a few hours and was free.

To put it in perspective:  I think a small number of people have died from these airbags, like 6 or 8 or so.  That is horrible for those families.  But during the same time, many thousands have died on the road in crashes.  A vehicle is dangerous, with or without airbag issues.  I would get the higher mileage Fit, as long as you can see that it was well taken care of.  To be honest, if an owner of a Fit has not done anything about the airbag, he/she is probably not a very caring owner.

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 10:52:38 AM »
Can you find a more mid range mileage fit? I have an 07 manual fit that is in great shape, it has 92k miles on it, and my mechanic told me I could easily get 100k more out of it. According to Kelley blue book it would go for ~$5000 in a private sale. That seems like maybe a good compromise value/mileage combo if you can find one. Consider looking at nearby areas.

By the way, I love my fit.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »
I posted earlier about owning Fits for six years. 6' 2". Ample room in the front. Sufficient in the back. Not an issue at your height :)

BogleBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 02:50:35 PM »
Watch out for another common problem: road debris can easily fly through the bottom of the front grille and kill your AC which will cost you a good chunk of change to repair unless you perform a DIY preventative fix:

https://www.google.com/search?q=honda+fit+road+debris+condenser&oq=honda+fit+road+debris+condenser&aqs=chrome..69i57.4766j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=honda+fit+road+debris+ac+condenser

DIY gutter guard mesh installation fix:
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/41118-what-did-you-do-your-ge-fit-today-310.html#post1128700

I was pretty happy with my Fit until that happened to me. Honda wasn't interested in helping cover the AC condenser repair and has no recall to replace the grille with one that rocks can't fly through. Honda dealerships were also being a real pain about the airbag recall at least where I live.

One more thing: the doors get dinged super easily on my Fit but maybe I just live in a place where people don't care about dinging other people's cars when they open their own car doors.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:14:46 PM by BogleBoy »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »
Suddenly I'm really happy that we got the cheapest model of Honda Fit available when we got it 5 years ago. 3K cheaper than the next model up. Only difference: no AC. Something we regret for... maybe 20 days outof the year? And for 100 days of vague regret over 5 years, I'll take 3k in my pocket, thanks!

(Quebec: AC is optional. Heat in the car is NOT. I understand that people living south of us have a different calculation.)

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 03:07:45 PM »
I didn't read all replies but we bought a new 2008 Fit Sport for $16K and love it.  Its manual, which we had special ordered locally from the dealer, but then gas prices spiked and the dealer was able to sell them for $3K higher than our contract price and it was never "available".  We expanded our search and drove 5 hours to get it.  Our experience: the manual is much more fun to drive, is comfortable for both my husband (6'1") and me (5'7"), and roomy enough to get our two kids (still in car seats) and all our stuff.  When our dogs were alive (55lbs and 70lbs) we even got them in too (although it was tight).  I'd expand your search, and not settle for an automatic.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 03:49:01 PM »
Watch out for another common problem: road debris can easily fly through the bottom of the front grille and kill your AC which will cost you a good chunk of change to repair unless you perform a DIY preventative fix:

https://www.google.com/search?q=honda+fit+road+debris+condenser&oq=honda+fit+road+debris+condenser&aqs=chrome..69i57.4766j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=honda+fit+road+debris+ac+condenser

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/41118-what-did-you-do-your-ge-fit-today-310.html#post1128700

I was pretty happy with my Fit until that happened to me. Honda wasn't interested in helping cover the AC condenser repair and has no recall to replace the grille with one that rocks can't fly through. Honda dealerships were also being a real pain about the airbag recall at least where I live.

One more thing: the doors get dinged super easily on my Fit but maybe I just live in a place where people don't care about dinging other people's cars when they open their own car doors.

Hmm, is this an issue with newer models too? A quick Google search didn't immediately answer that question. DW and I are considering buying a Fit as well. New in our case. I know, I know, but to regain some Mustachian cred, we are trading in both of our current cars and becoming a single car household.  That combined with the relatively small depreciation on used Fits makes me comfortable going new in this one instance.

BogleBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 04:26:11 PM »

Hmm, is this an issue with newer models too? A quick Google search didn't immediately answer that question. DW and I are considering buying a Fit as well. New in our case. I know, I know, but to regain some Mustachian cred, we are trading in both of our current cars and becoming a single car household.  That combined with the relatively small depreciation on used Fits makes me comfortable going new in this one instance.

When I looked at newer models it looks like it may have been fixed; the grille looked like it would prevent rocks from getting through. So, it might be more of an issue when buying used. I would still carefully check out the grille though. If your hand can fit through so can a rock with enough force to break the condenser. This sort of design oversight made me lose confidence in the car to be honest, I was a big Honda fan before this too.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2016, 04:47:39 PM »
I think you might have a hard time going from an Accord to a Fit. Split the difference and get a Civic.  You will probably find more used models available.  The Fit doesn't get much better fuel economy (the Civic is actually better on the highway) but it is significantly smaller and less refined from my experience.   

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
I think you might have a hard time going from an Accord to a Fit. Split the difference and get a Civic.  You will probably find more used models available.  The Fit doesn't get much better fuel economy (the Civic is actually better on the highway) but it is significantly smaller and less refined from my experience.

I think this is a case of YMMV. I went from a luxury SUV (yes, bring on the facepunches) to a Fit without a problem! :-) Nothing wrong with Civics, though.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »

I think this is a case of YMMV. I went from a luxury SUV (yes, bring on the facepunches) to a Fit without a problem! :-) Nothing wrong with Civics, though.

The newer Fits have insane amounts of room. The two cars we're ditching are a Civic and a Subaru Outback. The Fit models I looked at clearly had more rear legroom than the Civic (and more cargo space) and I swear even the Outback barely beats the Fit in rear legroom, if at all. It does have more front legroom though, but the Fit is good enough for my 6'4" frame. YMMV indeed.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 05:21:00 AM »
Interestingly, the new Civic gets extremely low reliability ratings by consumer reports.  It looks so pretty, bummer.

Corolla was top of the pack.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2016, 06:01:24 AM »

I can see how a Fit would be less refined, but I know no one who would say a Civic has more room.  Slightly longer wheelbase (moving it from sub compact to compact category) but less head room, less leg room, less cargo room...

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2016, 07:09:19 AM »

It would have been nice for them have noticed and fixed the car during production, but I'm not surprised at all they wouldn't do a recall. There's not a high percentage of cars having this problem. It was also an issue on accords and other non-hondas too. I read this complaint of my 05 accord. Maybe I'm just lucky but 100K on the accord and now 130K on the fit and no problems even with lots of camping and back road driving. The fit has been by far the cheapest to own and most reliable car I've ever had (knock on wood).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2016, 07:14:36 AM »

I can see how a Fit would be less refined, but I know no one who would say a Civic has more room.  Slightly longer wheelbase (moving it from sub compact to compact category) but less head room, less leg room, less cargo room...

I absolutely adored my Civic, and regret getting rid of it (except the new car has heated seats and a backup cam, and that makes me happy)- but people constantly referred to it as if it was special made for me (I'm 5'0")- the headroom was super low to normal sized people, and people were always hitting their heads. I haven't heard that happen in the Fit.

I managed to get a ton of cargo into it; but with the modular design of the Fit, it probably has more cargo space. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get as much cargo into the Fit if there were also 5 people in it through. IIRC, the Civic has a much roomier trunk.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2016, 07:34:58 AM »
In 2007, I drove a new Fit and new Civic. (Remember I'm 6'2" ~200 lbs) - I found the Civic e-brake dug into my hips. Fit is roomier for the driver :)

Now, let's just look up specs:
2008 Civic
Interior:  102.9 ft(3)
Trunk:  12.0 ft (3)

2008 Fit
Interior:  111.3 ft(3)
Behind rear seat:  21.3 ft(3)
With rear seats folded: 41.9 ft(3)

Don't need opinions - it's fact :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2016, 07:40:01 AM »

Can you still see out the back window though?  What is the cargo space that still allows that?  (In comparison to the Civic's trunk.)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2016, 07:44:41 AM »
Since the seats angle back (i.e. most of the space is towards the bottom), I'd say it's very similar to the 11 ft(3) but I don't have that statistic available.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2016, 07:48:46 AM »
Since the seats angle back (i.e. most of the space is towards the bottom), I'd say it's very similar to the 11 ft(3) but I don't have that statistic available.

Interesting- thanks for the comparison.  I just remember the behind the seat space being super tiny. 

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2016, 07:49:00 AM »

Can you still see out the back window though?  What is the cargo space that still allows that?  (In comparison to the Civic's trunk.)

In my experience, yes.  One of the original selling points for me on a Fit over a Civic (as a petite woman) was how upright the seats were and how much further I could see while driving.  In Civics (and corollas, but civics were worse) I felt like I was lying in a recliner 6 inches off the ground and that a lot of my field of vision was blocked. 

The Fit is just much more upright, the interior doesn't slope in like it does in the Civic.  Sort of a dorky look, but amazing for space and vision.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2016, 08:07:45 AM »

In my experience, yes.  One of the original selling points for me on a Fit over a Civic (as a petite woman) was how upright the seats were and how much further I could see while driving.  In Civics (and corollas, but civics were worse) I felt like I was lying in a recliner 6 inches off the ground and that a lot of my field of vision was blocked. 

The Fit is just much more upright, the interior doesn't slope in like it does in the Civic.  Sort of a dorky look, but amazing for space and vision.

Not being able to see out the front window was why I didn't replace my Civic with a Civic :)

BogleBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »

It would have been nice for them have noticed and fixed the car during production, but I'm not surprised at all they wouldn't do a recall. There's not a high percentage of cars having this problem. It was also an issue on accords and other non-hondas too. I read this complaint of my 05 accord. Maybe I'm just lucky but 100K on the accord and now 130K on the fit and no problems even with lots of camping and back road driving. The fit has been by far the cheapest to own and most reliable car I've ever had (knock on wood).

It all depends on luck and where you drive. It happened to me on I-35 in Texas where there are a lot of trucks and more road debris than usual. I did have the car for five years before it happened to me. If you replace the grille or install a metal mesh yourself you can prevent it from ever happening though.

You'd think the class action lawsuits about this for other Honda models would've gotten them to fix it sooner too.

thelittlebird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2016, 03:51:23 PM »
For me, while a Civic does get better gas mileage, my harp won't fit in the car - and I haul it up to church occasionally to play. It just barely fit across the back seat of my Accord and will fit in the Fit with the seats down.

Thankfully, my aunt and uncle have an old car I can borrow while I keep looking for the right one to pop up. Though I suppose no car would force me to commute by bike instead, but given the sleet today, I'm glad I didn't have to!

@BogleBoy - That's good to know about the mesh/air conditioner preventative fix!