Author Topic: Homemade bread recipes?  (Read 7311 times)

yddeyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Homemade bread recipes?
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »
Anyone have a good homemade bread recipe?  We like multi-grain bread, but not whole wheat and everyone in the house has a sweet tooth of course.  We're looking for a good everyday eating bread recipe.

I am a novice baker, so if I need a starter recipe and then a better recipe that's more advanced please post them both.

If anyone has a good link to a how-to website I'd appreciate.  I'm not interested in getting a cookbook (even if its free, I don't need more stuff).

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
Re: Homemade bread recipes?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:00:12 PM »
A friend shared this with us and it was the first bread I got pretty good at making:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-harvest-bread-recipe

We love it.  With jelly or butter or fancy cheese and figs.  A good all around bread. 

A couple of tweaks that I do:  I soak the raisins and cranberries in the water before using them (coating them in a little flour before adding to the dough), and use the fruity-water as my liquid for the dough.  Also tastes amazing with extra fruit like cherries added, too!

yddeyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:13:02 PM »
That looks great Mrs. PoP, unfortunately my family is against raisins (or all dried fruit, really).  I can't figure out why, I love them!  I'll try this for me, but do you have any every day white bread you use?

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 05:17:03 PM »
Sorry!  The only white bread I make is Irish soda bread - and I usually put raisins in that, too!  =( 

kodokan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 05:27:38 PM »
Our everyday bread is a half-and-half mix of white bread flour and this flour: http://smile.amazon.com/Great-River-Organic-Milling-Sunflower/dp/B0049YNZWS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408404134&sr=8-4&keywords=bread+flour+great+river. It's amazing!

Recipe is:

- 1 and 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 2 cups white and 2 cups seeded flour
- 1-2 teaspoons of salt
- good dash of agave syrup/ honey/ couple of spoons of sugar
- slug of olive oil

I throw it all the bread machine to make the dough, then take it out, shape it, and pop it in the oven to bake; we prefer bread rolls or small baguette shapes to one large loaf, as we're all crust fiends.

It'll work with any basic bread recipe technique if you don't have a machine: mix, knead, rise, punch down, shape and rise again, bake.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:33:56 PM by kodokan »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 06:30:20 PM »
If you're really looking for simple, start with a beer bread (and no need to worry abut the kids; the alcohol cooks off):

http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440

It also doesn't seem to matter how shitty the beer, but if you go so cheap that you get 16-ounce cans, increase to  4 cups flour. Also, believe the man when he says to sift or spoon in the flour.

I've made this into a multigrain by subbing in a half cup of oats, run through the blender, for a half cup of flour. Or you can do up to a quarter whole wheat.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:32:41 PM by Rural »

jennifers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
I recently learned how to make bread from scratch using this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWOJovFzWfw

I've made it a few times and it's always turned out well. 

kodokan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »
Oh yes, beer bread is fantastic. Especially if you add some strong cheese, too. Makes a great accompaniment for a beef stew (slow cooked to take advantage of cheap meat cuts, of course. And with another bottle of beer poured in the stew).

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:09:27 PM »
I make this 50/50 with whole wheat, but it tastes wonderful as white bread. It's a slight modification on the "Artisan Bread in 5" by Jim Lahey that's very popular around the net.

http://thegoblinchief.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/master-recipes-no-knead-bread/

The only add in I've ever done is flax meal, which is delicious.

ETA: It's also ridiculously cheap to make, something like $0.50 for two loaves.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:14:07 PM by Thegoblinchief »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Use the ny times no-knead recipe If you like an artisan style bread - hard crust, loose crumb, chewy texture.  Love it! And it is pretty easy.
The watch out is that you preheat the Dutch oven you will use to a temp just shy of molten lava.  In the first bake in the closed container steam builds up (hence good jump and crust formation) but be VERY careful when you remove that lid to do the 2nd baking phase otherwise you can get a steam burn  ( tilt angle of lid to vent steam away from you)
I hope you try this, I really like it.

I also have a bulgur wheat bread recipe I like. You soak the bulgur wheat before using to soften it up. I can look up the recipe if you are interested.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 09:05:57 PM »
I used the  Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day cookbook for years and it makes great bread. the first cookbook they did has tons of variations. its dead simple, too. the master recipe is only a few ingredients. and you can get by without a stone, Ive cooked the bread on cooky sheets, or bought plain unglazed tiles from home depot for very cheap and used 4 of those together to make a stone.

its a no-knead recipe.

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 01:47:50 AM »

Tieke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 03:19:36 AM »
I used the  Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day cookbook for years and it makes great bread. the first cookbook they did has tons of variations. its dead simple, too. the master recipe is only a few ingredients. and you can get by without a stone, Ive cooked the bread on cooky sheets, or bought plain unglazed tiles from home depot for very cheap and used 4 of those together to make a stone.

its a no-knead recipe.

I second this - the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day recipe works really well (and is genuinely super quick), and you can find it online for free:  http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/five-minutes-a-day-for-fresh-baked-bread-zmaz08djzgoe.aspx#axzz30SOYN9Pe

If you want more options, I highly recommend the River Cottage Bread handbook - this contains everything you need to know to start turning out high quality handmade bread, and there's loads of other bread-related products in it too (English muffins, naan bread, pizza base, the options are endless).  It's a UK book, but I think there would be an American edition if you're from the USA and want the right type of measurements. :)

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 07:17:53 AM »

its a no-knead recipe.

I second this - the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day recipe works really well (and is genuinely super quick), and you can find it online for free:  http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/five-minutes-a-day-for-fresh-baked-bread-zmaz08djzgoe.aspx#axzz30SOYN9Pe

For today's breakfast, I'm munching on two slices of bread from the "Artisan Bread in 5" loaf that I made on Sunday afternoon.  Slathered in peanut butter, it's delicious, cheap and keeps me full and happy all morning long.  LOVE Artisan Bread in 5.  I always have a bowl of dough in my fridge and make roughly 2 loaves a week as our day-to-day eating bread.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 07:40:38 AM »
I make a basic Italian bread recipe that I tweak a bit.  For my large metal loaf pan I start with 1.25 cups of water, and for my very slightly smaller glass loaf pan I start with 1 cup of water.

Measure the water in a glass measuring cup, add less than a teaspoon of honey or sugar or other real sweetener.  Heat this in the microwave for 40 seconds, or until it is close to body temperature.  Add a tablespoon of yeast and stir, set aside for 5 minutes until thoroughly dissolved and at least some foam is visible on top of the liquid, this ensures that the yeast is alive.

In a mixing bowl add a glug of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1/4 cup of ground flax seed (optional), & 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour (also optional).

Once water/yeast mixture is ready, add that to mixing bowl.  Stir and add flour 1/2 cup at a time until it is too hard to stir.  Keep gradually adding flour while kneading until the dough is very firm and stops sticking to your hands.  (This part can all be accomplished with less work in a kitchen aid mixer on the lowest setting with the dough hook, but even so I still do it by hand fairly often cause it's not that hard.)

Grease up your loaf pan.  Stretch out dough so that it fills the length of the pan.  Spray with olive oil and allow to raise until the bread has risen well above the top of the loaf pan.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes if a metal pan, 30 minutes if a glass pan.

When done remove from the pan right away and allow to cool on a towel or a cooling rack.

I seriously eat this stuff all the time, it's awesome.  One general warning about homemade bread, try to eat it within 4 days cause it can get moldy pretty quick.  I often freeze part of my loaf just to be on the safe side, I hate wasting good bread!

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
My favorite bread recipe if you like toast:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/english-muffin-toasting-bread-recipe

So easy even a first time bread baker will get it right!