Author Topic: Homemade All Natural Cleaning Products?  (Read 1897 times)

Allthepiecesmatter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Homemade All Natural Cleaning Products?
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:05:15 AM »
Mustachians I beseech you for suggestions.

I'm trying to use Dr Bronners (castille soap) as the basis for every cleaning product in my house. Naturally I bought it in bulk at a bargain price. I've read round the web for recipes and while I've got satisfactory concoctions for hand soap and toilet cleaner I'm still hunting for a robust dish soap. The ones I've made are very thin and not particularly good.

I'm open to homemade recipes of any stripe - whether castille is the basis or not. Surely this is cheaper than buying conventional products and most certainly vastly cheaper than the the 'eco'-ternatives from Ecover etc.

Hit me up with your favorite house blend or resolutions to my conundrum.

Save early, save often.

J-

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Homemade All Natural Cleaning Products?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 03:11:22 PM »
Vinegar, bleach, baking soda. Do not ever mix bleach and vinegar because it produces chlorine gas. Those 3 things will clean anything. Vinegar will kill mould, bleach will kill mould somewhere that it doesn't matter that you're using bleach, like a bathroom. Bleach will disinfect anything and keep the toilet bowl white. Baking soda is a great scrub for anything at all, and also food safe. They're all cheap, easily watered down, last forever and fine for use around kids and pets (appropriately, anyway, I wouldn't be cleaning out my fish tank or wiping the kid's faces with bleach!)

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 03:41:45 PM »
Vinegar, bleach, baking soda. Do not ever mix bleach and vinegar because it produces chlorine gas. Those 3 things will clean anything. Vinegar will kill mould, bleach will kill mould somewhere that it doesn't matter that you're using bleach, like a bathroom. Bleach will disinfect anything and keep the toilet bowl white. Baking soda is a great scrub for anything at all, and also food safe. They're all cheap, easily watered down, last forever and fine for use around kids and pets (appropriately, anyway, I wouldn't be cleaning out my fish tank or wiping the kid's faces with bleach!)

Basically this, but with some actual recipes (that I got online somewhere, but don't remember where)

Glass cleaner
1/4 cup Rubbing Alcohol
1/4 cup Vinegar
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 cups warm water
> Shake before using.

Granite safe all purpose cleaner
3 Tbsp Rubbing Alcohol
1 tsp Dish soap
1-1/2 cups water

Not granite safe all purpose cleaner (mostly use as a bathroom cleaner)
1 cup vinegar
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
2 Tbsp Dish Soap

With the third one I sprinkle baking soda liberally using an old spice container, spray with the cleaner which is fun to watch foam then scrub with a sponge and/or old toothbrush then rinse away with water and the cleaned out sponge.

frugalfinancehippy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Finance Hippy
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 10:27:21 PM »
For dish soap if you’re wanting to use the Castille I’d just dilute it (1 part Castille 2 parts water) but I still buy dish soap as it seems to work better and we hardly use it because almost everything goes through the dishwasher.

Just make sure to rinse well with the Castille

We also use the more powerful (10%) cleaning vinegar diluted with water for bathrooms.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!