Author Topic: Home security idea?  (Read 12710 times)

Rein1987

• Stubble
Home security idea?
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »
Since the time I became pregnant, DH has been very worried about the security for our home. He would like to put extra fences, replace the wood doors with metal ones, and install home security system. Well, to me I feel like it's kind of waste of money because I believe these cost much more than things could be stolen from our homes. Anyway, if money can buy the peace of mind for our family, I'm considering go for it.

Our home is equipped with basic ADT system from previous owners, but we never activate it. The cost is about $40 per month for these ADT system but it has no camera. I feel this price is a little bit high and also security camera is more useful than simply alert systems. Any suggestion where I can find cheaper and reliable home security systems with some cameras?

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
Re: Home security idea?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Dog?

Rein1987

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:42:33 PM »
Dog?

Oops, good idea but we do not have energy for a dog...

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »
To get all internet busybody about it, it sounds like he has a lot of anxiety about impending parenthood, and is expressing it through angst over home security. Depending on his receptiveness and your emotional energy levels, it might be better in the long run to work out what the actual issue is and deal with THAT, up to and including paying for a round of counseling/therapy for him/you both instead of a (imho worthless) security system.

Unless you actually live in a dangerous or high-crime area?

Of course, I'm coming at this as a person who a) lives in an insanely safe city, b) has a possibly skewed perception of the relative safety of various places, and c) non-parent.

re dog: This is a good suggestion, but only if you AND your husband are willing to put in the effort to have a well-behaved dog. Adding a poorly behaved/poorly trained dog on top of a newborn baby sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Rein1987

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
To get all internet busybody about it, it sounds like he has a lot of anxiety about impending parenthood, and is expressing it through angst over home security. Depending on his receptiveness and your emotional energy levels, it might be better in the long run to work out what the actual issue is and deal with THAT, up to and including paying for a round of counseling/therapy for him/you both instead of a (imho worthless) security system.

Of course, I'm coming at this as a person who a) lives in an insanely safe city, b) has a possibly skewed perception of the relative safety of various places, and c) non-parent.

re dog: This is a good suggestion, but only if you AND your husband are willing to put in the effort to have a well-behaved dog. Adding a poorly behaved/poorly trained dog on top of a newborn baby sounds like a recipe for disaster.

My area overall is not high crime area. However, I think my husband does have a point. This house has been broken-in about 5 years ago before we purchased the house. That's why the previous owner installed ADT then. Also, things become more scary after the Paris attack....I just found out that a college student who stabbed and killed several people at college recently used live very close to my home before he went to college. His behavior was appraised by ISIS. His parents still live very close to my house.

Yes, I know that the home security system may not be able keep terrorists away...

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 10:05:31 PM »
There is nothing wrong with home security and being prepared. It's like insurance, or wearing a seatbelt.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 10:52:04 PM »

My area overall is not high crime area. However, I think my husband does have a point. This house has been broken-in about 5 years ago before we purchased the house. That's why the previous owner installed ADT then. Also, things become more scary after the Paris attack....I just found out that a college student who stabbed and killed several people at college recently used live very close to my home before he went to college. His behavior was appraised by ISIS. His parents still live very close to my house.

Yes, I know that the home security system may not be able keep terrorists away...

Since you haven't mentioned which country you are in, I can't say much other than worrying about terrorism is probably not very productive (though perhaps understandable as that is the entire point of terrorists, the assholes!). As a general rule, I suggest abstaining from the nightly news as I find that format to be particularly bad on the fear-mongering front.

If I was concerned about security, I would consider 3 things:
1) value of house contents relative to cost of security improvements.
2) getting the most bang for my buck in terms of any security upgrades I decide to make.
3) get actual crime statistics and possibly speak with the police in my area regarding what they see as the biggest issues. They might be able to help direct my energies more efficiently, if for instance, they see a lot of break ins as a result of a gate left open vs a weak garage door or something.

Besides that, I don't actually know much of anything about the nuts and bolts of home security, so hopefully others might be able to chime in with better specifics.

And best wishes for you both during your pregnancy!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 11:28:51 PM »
Since the time I became pregnant, DH has been very worried about the security for our home. He would like to put extra fences, replace the wood doors with metal ones, and install home security system. Well, to me I feel like it's kind of waste of money because I believe these cost much more than things could be stolen from our homes. Anyway, if money can buy the peace of mind for our family, I'm considering go for it.

Your exterior doors are most likely solid core, and  are therefore pretty strong. The weak points are the frame, hinges, and strike plate. I'm neither a carpenter nor an expert at home invasion prevention. I could be wrong in what I'm advising, but I have heard the same advice from several reputable sources. Unless you're worried about someone shooting through it, your wooden door is okay. Just get 2 - 3 deadbolts, and place them opposite the hinges. This distributes the force and reduces the likelihood of the frame cracking if someone is kicking the door. If you want to go further, then install a floor bar. 

Using keypad locks on the bedroom doors, and having a policy of keeping the door closed while sleeping is something I've heard about, but have not implemented in my own home. The interior door knob remains a traditional knob, which keeps people from being accidentally locked in.

Sleeping with your cellphone next to the bed is also a wise decision. I have a gun. You may not want one.

Our home is equipped with basic ADT system from previous owners, but we never activate it. The cost is about $40 per month for these ADT system but it has no camera. I feel this price is a little bit high and also security camera is more useful than simply alert systems. Any suggestion where I can find cheaper and reliable home security systems with some cameras?

Will ADT call the fire dept and police for you? If so, seems like the reassurance would be calming for your husband. If it just a local noise maker, I'd pass.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 11:44:17 PM »
I'd recommend the delay technique. Make sure you acknowledge his concerns, but suggest waiting six months to see if either of your feelings change.

Generally a box on the exterior of the home with a blinking blue light, and an alarm sticker on the front door /window is sufficient. Total cost $20. You may already have these if an ADT alarm has been installed.

brotatochip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 04:12:41 AM »
I installed 8 security cameras and bought ADT signs and stickers....cost about $700, all though i did have to install them myself.  Most burglers will scope out a house before breaking in.  A home with cameras and ADT advertised all over isn't an easy target and they will just move on to the next one.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 04:36:49 AM »
Look into smarttthjngs for about 300 dollars you can install you own security system.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 05:30:34 AM »
Years ago I had a friend whose family was in the insurance business.  He told me the cheapest way to increase home security was to install some motion activated lights around the house.  I don't know if that's still the case.  My suggestion is to try to react to facts, rather than to a vague feeling of being unsafe.  There were several home burglaries in my neighborhood a few years ago.  The burglar would go in the backyard and enter through a back door or window that was unlocked. So I put a padlock on my back gate to directly address the concern.  The burglar was caught a couple weeks later. As my insurance friend said, you just have to make your house a less appealing target than the one next door. I figure I'm partly doing that by simply not having much your usual burglar would want. 

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 07:01:08 AM »
Last year, less value was stolen in burglaries than by the police using asset forfeiture.

Terrorists aren't going to get you at your house.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 07:12:07 AM »
After a series of home and garage burglaries in my area the local police had a meeting with residents and their advice was simply to make your home less appealing to burglars than the houses on either side.  A security sign or sticker visible from the outside (note - it was the sign that was important, not the actual security system), good exterior lighting, etc.  I don't have a home security system but got a sign and put it out front.  Got motion detectors installed out back, and enclosed my backyard (backyard fences in my neighborhood are not standard).  I also put a low wattage light on a timer so it would appear someone is home in the evenings regardless of whether someone was. 

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 07:16:56 AM »
Nobody has mentioned personal protection such as a firearm?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 07:39:58 AM »
You mean those things toddlers use to kill themselves and others?

Motion detector lights, and a white noise machine, to avoid the "what was that?" problem. You'll need sleep far more than protection!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 07:54:39 AM »
My husband has also been making noises about a security system. *sigh*

His mother just moved out to a nursing home so he is very anxious that our house is now left empty during the days and when we are out (I try to remind him that this is "normal"). We have a dog, but he is a lazy mini poodle who spends his days sleeping on my bed and only hears people coming in if he is not snoring. i.e. not a reliable guard dog

He has talked about about ADT and I vetoed it (we barely have any valuables anyway other than cheap laptops, a cheap not-so-big-screen TV and a few hundred in cash stashed away in weird spots). Max $2-3k of stuff really. The last time we had a break-in (12 years ago when we had first moved in), we actually came out ahead after all the insurance reimbursements.

So now he is talking about installing a couple of cameras. I told him to go ahead if he wants to. Wouldn't hurt - especially since we have some young punks in our neighborhood who raid cars every night. if you leave your car unlocked accidentally, they raid it. We are not always the greatest - so we leave a car unlocked about once a year. 90% of the time, it gets raided and whatever change we have is taken. *sigh*

Anyway, like others have said - there are so many other things to consider even before a security system.

- lock the backyard gate (if fenced). Ours is left open all the time - DH wouldn't keep it closed (despite my nagging) and now it's half-broken and won't close. So I insist on keeping it tied open to prevent further damage.
- use motion-sensor lights. The lightbulb blew out on the one at our front door about a year ago and DH has flat-out refused to fix it because "it wastes electricity". Annoys me but I refuse to engage because he wouldn't even turn it on anyway.We have one at our backdoor that DH also refuses to turn on.
- add more motion-sensor lights.  We really should add it to the area near our back gate and to our driveway where our cars are. But I haven't been able to convince DH.
- add security cameras. DH wants to do this. Don't know why it isn't a bigger waster of electricity lol.
- make sure there are lights on if you are not home in the evening. We leave a couple of lights on and lately, we switch on our kitchen radio as well.
- make sure basement windows (especially those that face the backyard) are secure. We added a wooden stick to ours many years ago so it can't be forced open.
- DH used to keep a baseball bat in our bedroom and at our back door. They both have moved elsewhere in the years since. I could remind DH to put them back, but the image of DH brandishing a baseball bat to check on weird sounds in the middle of the night (and yes, he's done it) has always been rather ridiculous to me.

At the end of the day, I look at it as peace of mind. I'm not very fussed about getting broken into. We really have very little worth stealing. DH is - so I am Ok with him doing whatever he needs (even if illogical to me) to give him peace of mind. Except paying $40 a month for ADT. No way, no how.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 08:06:10 AM »
Like others have said, security signs are effective, as is a "Beware of Dog" or other such sign. I know a guy who advertises his NRA affiliation in his front window. (Definitely makes ME want to stay away!)

My bedroom is upstairs while my kids are downstairs, so occasionally I have worried about someone getting into the house while we're asleep and they're vulnerable. I bought a couple GE door alarms to "scare off" anyone who might attempt to break in (through a door). They are super loud and would definitely wake you and draw attention. I've probably used them twice. Fear is a strange thing; it comes and goes. Doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING, might put your husband at ease, so I'd suggest motion lights, leaving a front light on, and maybe those door alarms, which run about $12 each. Link: http://www.amazon.com/GE-Personal-Security-Door-Alarm/dp/B0000YNR4M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447859105&sr=8-3&keywords=ge+door+alarm

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 08:24:09 AM »
No security system here.

Brand new house in a brand new community. Almost all of the houses have a security sign because the vendors came around trying to get business. I took the free sign in my yard, but didn't actually get any system installed.

I've seen the workers installing the systems at some of the other homes so I'm guessing a lot of people actually use the service. My next door neighbor is a police officer (fml) and even he got the security system installed.

Me? People can peek in my windows and see the older Samsung 42" tv, the basic couch, the no dining table, the simple kitchen, etc... If they look in and see that, they'll probably move on. I'd definitely target the other homes that had all the fancy deliveries from the box stores. :)

ps - I have a 2 year old daughter so safety is something I do care about.

The only security I really want to add is some cameras on the exterior of the home. That honestly has more to do with my car hobby than home security concerns though.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »
My vote is for security cameras.  I got a system off Amazon with 4 cameras, installed them myself.  Ran a line to the router, and now I can check the cameras from any computer or phone.

Besides a deterrent for crime, I love to check who is ringing the doorbell or pulling into the driveway with just a click.  Then I know if it's worth it to get up and answer the door.

When we're traveling, I can take a look at the front door to see if any packages were delivered from my phone.  Then I text the person feeding the cats about it.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »
I live in a pretty urban neighborhood (single-family houses, but still within the city proper), so we have a fair share of crime. Here are some things I do to deter it:

1. I have lengths of 1x2 wood wedged between the bottom sash of my double-hung windows and the top of the frame to keep them from being forced open (which was how the thief got in the one time my house was burgled -- I know this because he left the shovel he used leaning against the wall!). I should get security pins, but I've been too nervous to drill into my windows...

2. I have security film for my windows (so that a burglar can't easily get in by breaking the glass).

3. I joined my neighborhood's security patrol for $40/quarter (which pays off-duty police officers to patrol above and beyond the normal amount that they do on-duty). I display a yard sign for it. Also, the officer has to scan QR codes with his cellphone in various locations to "check in" so that we know he's doing his job, and I'm lucky enough that my mailbox is one of the check-in locations.

4. I have steel doors (that the previous owner picked -- when I re-do them I'll get a nice wood one instead), and long screws (into framing) for the strike plate and hinges. I should probably get an even stronger metal door jamb reinforcement device, but I haven't gotten around to it.

5. I keep my front porch, back porch, and basement door lights on 24/7 (they're a single CFL each, so the electricity use isn't that bad). I should get some motion detectors. (I should also install additional lights, especially since the side of the house that was broken into is the one that doesn't have a light already.)

Last year, less value was stolen in burglaries than by the police using asset forfeiture.

Holy shit! I knew it was bad, but not that bad. Source?

You mean those things toddlers use to kill themselves and others?

For home defense (as opposed to something you carry around with you when you go out), I've heard people recommend a pump-action shotgun (pump action rather than semi-auto because the burglar recognizes the "clack-clack" sound and gets the fuck out). As a useful side effect, such a thing is probably too long and heavy for a toddler to wield effectively. They might be able to pull the trigger, but would probably be pointing the barrel at the floor when they did so. It's still no substitute for being responsible enough to keep the gun away from the kid in the first place, of course...

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 10:38:02 AM »

Holy shit! I knew it was bad, but not that bad. Source?

Via Radley Balko's twitter feed. Site obviously has an agenda but it puts together the two trustworthy sources.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »
I think OP that your husband is more concerned with YOUR safety rather than 'stuff' in the house.

I'd go with motion detector lights---a bunch of them---and they can be solar. And you can buy signs various places but burglars know they're bogus fairly quickly.

I think the 'appearance' of being more trouble than you are worth is the way to go: they sell fake dog poop that has been weather proofed, or you could get all artsy crafty and make your own from clay and tint and matt glaze it....put that near the gate. Put a bigass dog bowl on the back porch, with a partially gnawed huge rawhide: for about ten bucks you can buy a 3ft long rawhide dog thing...any dog park will have willing volunteers to gnaw it up partially for you (take you an hour, tops). Put that near the back walkway. (obviously, snow will prove this a lie, unless you have a friend walk their dog thru the yard every few days).

A stick/broomstick in the sliding window track means they have to break it. I'm not familiar with the 'security' film mentioned above by somebody, but window tint film is cheap/easy to install yourself and probably does the same thing.

If you're in a cold weather climate, storm windows are a pita to install but help with security.

A friend moved into a really shitty neighborhood in Alaska once...I gave her a silhouette target with the head shot to shit for her to tape to her front door: no one ever spoke to her the whole time she lived there. But she was one of the few houses not broken into by meth heads either. Dunno I'd do this in a real house that you intend to live in and interact with neighbors from.

But I'd feel fine putting some subtle, home made signs near the back of the house: "Burglars will be used for target practice." "Burglars make great compost!" "There is nothing in this house worth your life: and we are more than willing to prove it."

If he's gone from the house, you can leave hand written fake notes on the door: "Mike, the sheriff will be by in 15 to dust for fingerprints: don't move the shotgun!!!" seems to work for me...

It also cut down dramatically on the Jehovah Witness visits.  ;-0

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »
I just bought a house. It's in a good and safe neighborhood, but here's my plan for everything:

(1) Bolt lock on every door (already done).

(2) Eventually install these fake cameras (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/181-3105514-2139438?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fake+security+camera) front, garage, and back door.

(3) Create ADT stickers and put them on each of my windows.

(4) Leave my pair of old shitty workboots at the back door. Leave mud and dirt on them.

(5) GF willing, put a "Proud member of the NRA" sign in our front yard.

(6) Keep nice electronics in basement. Most valuable electronic upstairs is a $300 37" Samsung TV.

Total cost: about $30. But if I were a burglar I'd stay away.

Home Stretch

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 11:44:39 AM »
Seconding the fake camera idea. One of those in plain sight near every entrance is a sure-fire way to deter potential thieves who have even an ounce of environmental awareness, and they're super cheap. TBH even REAL network-accessible security cameras can be bought new for less than $100 if you wanted to set it up yourself.

My house had an ADT system from the previous owner and I proudly display the bright blue sign in my front garden even though we've never paid a dime for ADT service.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 12:00:19 PM »
According to gathered statistics,   65% of the time when there is a violent burglary (someone home gets involved) it is someone you know doing the robbing.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

How does that make you feel?    Also to all the deadbolt and reinforced frame people: my brother has a 30$ "professional bumpkey" for his line of work.  Anyone can get one and it will unluck any keyed lock quitely and without damage just as fast as having the key.     Wish I had something helpful to post.        So far I like the fake cameras, for deterrence.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:04:32 PM by Kroaler »

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »
A stick/broomstick in the sliding window track means they have to break it. I'm not familiar with the 'security' film mentioned above by somebody, but window tint film is cheap/easy to install yourself and probably does the same thing.

Security film is the same thing, but thicker (and not tinted, I guess).

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »
If you're really afraid people are going to break into your house when you're their or not the solution isnt a bunch of fake cameras and dead bolts.  you need to know when doors are opened or windows are opened.  Yes i agree those are deterants.  but if you're really afraid someone is going to break in those give you little peice of mind and no info.

i bought a smartthings hub.  it alerts me for no monthly fee when something goes wrong at my house.  cost is max 30 bucks to do your doors windows and set the hub up.  plus you can use it to help automate things like lights if youre out of town i tied mine into my thermostat so it will turn it off if doors or windows are left open.  i can also tell if my garage door was left open and close it.  300 bucks isnt alot for all that peice of mind. and if you want real cameras... yeah you can put those in too and link them up.

I know its likely only a matter of time since these operate over the air before someone comes up with a way to hack them, but thats a lot more work than a bump key is today and takes a more technically skilled person.  and guess what people with those skills arent breaking into homes in the suburbs.

Ducky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 12:31:14 PM »
As someone that recently had someone in their home while I was home I now see the point in a security system.I thought I lived in a VERY safe area. Guess nowhere is safe.  We installed deadbolts that lock by themselves after 30 seconds. We went with simply safe for a security system. The price was good and the monitoring is $14.99 a month.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 01:07:01 PM »

I'm in the camp that basically sees security systems as mostly security theater. 

Sure, a loud alarm going off might turn someone around.  I'm skeptical about the extra benefit of the monitoring fee.  (Plus: I live in the boonies where there is probably one sheriff for every 20 square miles.) 

I've considered building one myself, but mostly because it sounds fun to build... not because I think there is that much benefit.

I will say: Metal doors are NOT inherently better and in fact might be worse.  I wish I still had the photo of my sister in law's metal door after her break-in.  They just dog-eared the bottom corner like a book page and crawled in -- with the door still securely locked.  Metal doors are also really easy to ding up, so long term you'll end up with a cheap looking door.  I'd suggest solid wood or solid core fiberglass.  Wood is preferable if you want to stain it.  Fiberglass will look pretty similar to wood if you just want to paint it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 01:39:21 PM »
OP, I'm going to agree with whoever suggested that this concern is more related to impending fatherhood. I know from stories my mom has told that my dad actually went through the same thing before I was born (I'm the oldest). He wanted to get a security system, she asked if he would prefer if she dropped the baby or the groceries to deal with the alarm (thus the story). Don't know what else was said or done, but we never had an alarm.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 01:50:09 PM »
I would work on things other than a security system, but which still give him some sense of power and control.  Trim back bushed hear the house.  Install several motion sensor light.  Wedge something in all windows and sliding doors to they can't be opened more than a few inches for air (which will allow you to open them at night but still have them secured). Maybe a couple fake cameras. 

Since to me this is largely about anxiety and not rationality, those things might have a nice placebo effect while not costing you anywhere near as much. 

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
I know a guy who advertises his NRA affiliation in his front window.

It may be counter intuitive, but this makes your home more likely to be broken into.  Criminals would love to steal your guns.  They're the easiest thing to sell while also being worth a lot of money.

No one's going to break in while they know you're at home anyway.  Putting one of these signs up and then going on vacation is pretty much a "I have some great shit, come and get it" advertisement.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »
Please read this. It applies to home security systems as well.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »

It may be counter intuitive, but this makes your home more likely to be broken into.  Criminals would love to steal your guns.  They're the easiest thing to sell while also being worth a lot of money.

No one's going to break in while they know you're at home anyway.  Putting one of these signs up and then going on vacation is pretty much a "I have some great shit, come and get it" advertisement.

I am a pro-gun-rights sort of dude, but I sold my gun when I realized it was (a) impractical for defense (b) the thing I was most worried about being stolen.

Rein1987

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 02:53:20 PM »
Wow, thank you, a lot of great suggestions.

So here are my main takeaway:
1. motion detector lights (never thought about this! Sounds great to me!)
2. Security camera (Any brand recommendation? Is it easy to install? We are not very handy...)
3. Improve the fence on backyard (Our fence on one side is not high enough)
4. Go to counselors

Our ADT systems already can show if we close all windows and doors even if it is not activated. There's also an ADT sign in the front yard. It has motion sensors inside home as well. If we activate ADT with $40 a month, when someone breaks in AND no one at home, it will call policeman to come within 10 minutes. The problem is that if I'm home and someone breaks in, the security system is disarmed in this case and I believe it does not call the police man for me when I'm in danger...

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 03:13:59 PM »
The problem is that if I'm home and someone breaks in, the security system is disarmed in this case and I believe it does not call the police man for me when I'm in danger...

How do you think that would help you anyway?

As the saying goes, "when seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »

Much more effective would be to ask your husband to start up and lead a Block Watch group on your street.  Then you have not only people looking out for suspicious behavior, but a neighbor who will call police quickly for you if you need it.  AND, if you are pro-gun, there is a chance that a neighbor already has you covered.   (and yep! that sounds creepy and it is)

This is also a huge benefit in getting to know neighbors, for after you have a child too.   Sometimes you need a helping hand.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2015, 07:29:38 PM »
Like others have said, security signs are effective, as is a "Beware of Dog" or other such sign. I know a guy who advertises his NRA affiliation in his front window. (Definitely makes ME want to stay away!)

Might as well have a sign that says, "Thugs, please come burglarize my house".

Ducky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 04:47:56 AM »

I beg to differ as we recently had it happen while I WAS home alone! Saturday mornings we all usually leave. Everyone had left but me. My ankle biters were barking and I could hear someone tromping around on the hardwood while I was up in the bathroom on an upper level. I thought one of my family had come back. Finally dawned on me it was odd the dogs kept barking at my family and I yelled out to see who was there. I interrupted someone!!! Scared the crap out of me!!

I do admit I think the signs advertise. We didnt put ours up. I did however let all my neighbors know what had happened so we could all watch out for each other.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 05:01:26 AM »
LED bulbs are getting pretty cheap and are SUPER bright and cost almost nothing in electricity.  We just upgraded our outdoor lighting and if nothing else, it feels very reassuring.  We have a few lights on "Dusk-to-Dawn" setting and a few on motion activated to keep things dark around the bedrooms, but bright on the porch and driveway at all times.

Cost varies a lot by store in my area, but $4-6 a bulb seems average and you will likely never replace them (10-20 year life).  I like the idea of a 6 month waiting period before doing big upgrades, but maybe $20 in brighter, energy efficient bulbs is a Mustachian compromise short term.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 06:53:25 AM »
  I carry a gun everywhere (and I mean everywhere).  This does not do much for home security when nobody is home.  Most burglaries occur during the day when nobody is home.

Sure, I'll shoot him if he kicks in the door while I am home, but the chances of that happening are pretty small in comparison to the odds of a burglary when nobody is home.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2015, 07:05:03 AM »
Posting to follow - we had a few small things stolen so would like to use less than $50 to add a few burglar deterrents (motion-sensor lights, signage/stickers, cheap or even fake surveillance cameras). We have a super high deductible home possessions insurance so the $50 would be better spent ONCE than every month for more insurance coverage.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2015, 07:37:03 AM »
LED bulbs are getting pretty cheap and are SUPER bright and cost almost nothing in electricity.  We just upgraded our outdoor lighting and if nothing else, it feels very reassuring.  We have a few lights on "Dusk-to-Dawn" setting and a few on motion activated to keep things dark around the bedrooms, but bright on the porch and driveway at all times.

Cost varies a lot by store in my area, but $4-6 a bulb seems average and you will likely never replace them (10-20 year life).  I like the idea of a 6 month waiting period before doing big upgrades, but maybe $20 in brighter, energy efficient bulbs is a Mustachian compromise short term.

Sometimes I almost feel like exterior lighting can help thieves too.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »
Wow, thank you, a lot of great suggestions.

So here are my main takeaway:
1. motion detector lights (never thought about this! Sounds great to me!)
2. Security camera (Any brand recommendation? Is it easy to install? We are not very handy...)
3. Improve the fence on backyard (Our fence on one side is not high enough)
4. Go to counselors

That's a good start.  Other things I would take into consideration:
5. Secure your doors, as others have said reinforce where necessary.  I will always suggest a Door Devil kit, www.doordevil.com, but as others have said easily navigated with a bump key.  This could be prevented with an extra inside facing key only deadbolt, but these only work if you are inside the house to lock it.
6.  Secure windows.  If you have sliding windows install the blocks so they can't be opened past a certain point.
7. General awareness is always the best.  Don't keep valuables in plain sight; tv's laptops, etc.  Keep an eye out for shady/unfamiliar cars circling the neighborhood.
8.  Get to know your neighbors.  Take walks through the neighborhood be very familiar with the streets nearby.
9.  Maintain your yard and house.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:25:15 AM by Cromacster »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!