Author Topic: home insurance shenanigans  (Read 2979 times)

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
home insurance shenanigans
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:13 AM »
I have Liberty Mutual via GEICO.  Each year it's a hassle because Liberty Mutual raises my rates by an absurd amount.  I'll call and complain and eventually get the rate dropped...rinse and repeat each year.  It honestly reminds me of my yearly battles with Comcast before thankfully new competition arrived.
Anyway, the gimmick seems to be that they'll automatically increase the insured amount that goes far and beyond any level of reasonable inflation.  In fact, in my area home property prices have decreased the last couple years after a major employer announced they were moving headquarters.

I just got our premium for this year and it's up 21%.  What is the consensus among mustachians regarding property insurance companies?  Which company consistently has low rates without the yearly battle to make sure you still have a pulse?  Has anyone else got their premium yet?  Is this an across the board increase similar to health insurance?

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
Re: home insurance shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:57:01 AM »
Every year, the same fights:
- property tax assessed value
- home insurance
- vehicle insurance
- internet service
Every single year. First world problems ;)

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:01:13 AM »
I have Liberty Mutual via GEICO.  Each year it's a hassle because Liberty Mutual raises my rates by an absurd amount.  I'll call and complain and eventually get the rate dropped...rinse and repeat each year.  It honestly reminds me of my yearly battles with Comcast before thankfully new competition arrived.
Anyway, the gimmick seems to be that they'll automatically increase the insured amount that goes far and beyond any level of reasonable inflation.  In fact, in my area home property prices have decreased the last couple years after a major employer announced they were moving headquarters.

I just got our premium for this year and it's up 21%.  What is the consensus among mustachians regarding property insurance companies?  Which company consistently has low rates without the yearly battle to make sure you still have a pulse?  Has anyone else got their premium yet?  Is this an across the board increase similar to health insurance?

If you can find a broker who sells policies for several different companies, that can make life easier. I call my guy every year or two and just have him check everything. He usually comes back with better coverage for the same amount or a slightly lower premium. It's never a huge decrease, but so far we've had pretty stable premiums for auto/home.

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
If you are eligible for USAA, I found their rates to be very consistent and reasonable year-to-year.

That said, they will be slightly higher than you can find shopping around.

I just switched to Geico/Liberty this year because it was over $600 less. Curious to see what happens when the renewal comes up.

ZMonet

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:23:46 AM »
I've fought this battle with my home insurer a number of times.  They say it doesn't matter how much houses sell for in your area, but what the replacement cost would be for a similar house to be built.  They value my home at about 180% of what we paid for it and that is without the value of the land!   I shopped around and found other insurers that had a lower insured value, but the premiums ended up being the same or higher.  All I could do to lower my premiums was to decrease the insured value to 85%, the lowest they would go, and increase my deductible to $10k.