Author Topic: Home Improvement/DIY websites  (Read 7432 times)

Snutting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Home Improvement/DIY websites
« on: February 14, 2012, 06:45:06 AM »
Hello Mustachians,

I am working on buying my first house. It's a classic "fix-er-upper". While I have a lot of expertise in my family, I am looking for great websites (blogs, forums, wikis, etc.) that have tutorials and how-to videos for basic home improvement.

I figure that this is the perfect place to ask. I think it goes without saying that while I want things done right, I want to get things done without spending unnecessarily.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Home Improvement/DIY websites
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:50:45 AM »
The key combination you're looking for when search is "do it yourself" and "home improvement", IMO.

That'll hit you to sites like these:
http://www.diynetwork.com/
http://www.doityourself.com/

YouTube, surprisingly (or maybe not?), has some good content.

And keep in mind, nothing is a substitute for real life training.  Go to your local hardware store and ask how to accomplish certain tasks, find someone experienced in the area you can learn from, etc.

Would be awesome if you took some pictures and kept us up to date along the way of your project.  Good luck!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:54:49 AM »
StackExchange also has a home improvement section:

http://diy.stackexchange.com/

Useful for asking others if you can't find directions anywhere else.

Snutting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:17:49 AM »
Thanks for the YouTube search suggestions. I knew there would be lots of help there, but the key search terms are helpful.

The stackexchange site looks promising too, looks like there are is a lot of expertise there.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:52:58 AM »
And don't forget to ask here, the type of people MMM draws have a lot to offer.  I apprenticed as a plumber, worked construction through college, and have fixed up three houses so far.  You never know who will have experienced the same exact issue and have a great idea for doing it better than the "standard" way.  It helps to get ideas outside the box.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:26:46 AM »
If you have family expertise take advantage!  Trade a home made meal or some drinks or and afternoon of something you have expertise in to those family members for hands on tutorials.  Sure, you can learn the basics of most things via the internet but I find that hands on help is more helpful in the long run for me.

lazydragon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »
If you have family expertise take advantage!  Trade a home made meal or some drinks or and afternoon of something you have expertise in to those family members for hands on tutorials.  Sure, you can learn the basics of most things via the internet but I find that hands on help is more helpful in the long run for me.

It's also a great way to connect/reconnect with an older relative.  I once spent a whole weekend with my dad (who I rarely can find time for usually) wiring my basement as he's an electrician.  Although he's not currently licensed, that doesn't impact his knowledge one bit and we had a great time talking while we worked, and I got a bunch of stuff done that I needed to.  He appreciated the time with me more than any Christmas gift I have ever gotten him I suspect.

Passed Doo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:21:09 AM »
My Fellow Moustachians,

IF you are interested at all in seeing/viewing/communication with the IMO the absolute Gold Standard of first-class professional home rehabilitators, go to www.tomtarrant.com.

I have no relation or affiliation to Tom Tarrant, just a deep admiration and respect for what he does and how he comports his team while doing it. I only hope I can work at this level as I transition to full-time rehabbing.    Enough of this chit-chat.

Go to the website and prepare to learn from a class act. Prepare to be awed.

Stay Healthy, Happy and Safe. Build Wealth Honestly!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »

I have no relation or affiliation to Tom Tarrant, just a deep admiration and respect for what he does and how he comports his team while doing it.

Seconded.  I've been subscribed to his RSS feed for a few months, and he is very informative!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Petruchio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »
The DIY Site I haunt is Instructables.com. There is a wide variety of projects done by the community. I am jumping between this site and that site as I type this.

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »
saving

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 03:09:17 PM »
For tiling and more, you can't beat the John Bridge forum:  http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php

PepperPeter

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
I love younghouselove.com

They don't post as often as they used to, but the website is organized very well with older projects and DIY guides.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!