Author Topic: Home exchange for vacation - any experience?  (Read 2392 times)

aperture

• Bristles
Home exchange for vacation - any experience?
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:08:41 AM »
Hello fellow Mustachians,

I wonder if anyone has experience or a method for switching homes with others to create inexpensive and intimate international travel.  There is a web service www.homeexchange.com but I would like to get input from the MMM community. My wife and 2 tweens are interested in taking longish (4-6 week) vacations from our base outside Denver, but would like to avoid the $1000/week FRBO vacation circus.  Also seems a shame to leave the house empty when someone else might think our neck of the woods as exotic and interesting as we would theirs.  (Apologies if this is covered in another thread - I could not find searching vacation home exchange and variations).  Thanks in advance.  -aperture

aperture

• Bristles
Re: Home exchange for vacation - any experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »
Anybody? Anyone?

Krnten

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
I haven't but it seems inefficient and like you'll have to be really lucky, or choose to go someplace that's not your first choice in order to make the timing work.  I know you don't want to pay $1000 on a vrbo place, but if you rent your own house out at the same time you'll come out ok.  I mean, this is the reason currency exists in the first place- because bartering is time consuming and inefficient!

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 12:33:56 AM »
I have relatives that have done this, with car exchange too.  Seems to work out fine.

econberkeley

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
I am interested in it too. I don't understand why it is not popular. It is pretty much free vacation and you stay in a big place instead of a hotel room.