Author Topic: Home Brewing SOS help meeeee  (Read 3254 times)

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Home Brewing SOS help meeeee
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:02:55 PM »
So attempted to make my first batch of home brew last night. Came home to check on my 5 gallon jug... And the top popped off. If I re-sanitize can I just cap it off again and hope for the best or did I just ruin my first attempted batch?

frompa

• Bristles
Re: Home Brewing SOS help meeeee
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 07:13:07 PM »
I'm a long time homebrewer.  Yes, re-sanitize and cap it again.  I assume that you have an airlock on top?  Once in a while we make a batch that is a little over exuberant and it might foam all over the place for the first couple days of fermentation, but it's no big deal.  Hope for the best, it'll probably be fine.  Enjoy!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:16:30 PM »

I'm a long time homebrewer.  Yes, re-sanitize and cap it again.  I assume that you have an airlock on top?  Once in a while we make a batch that is a little over exuberant and it might foam all over the place for the first couple days of fermentation, but it's no big deal.  Hope for the best, it'll probably be fine.  Enjoy!
thank you for the quick answer I'll give you an update in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 08:21:30 PM »
My tops used to always come off when I used a 5 gallon carbon for primary fermentation. Sometimes the airlock got plugged with foam. This stopped after I started using a 6 gallon carboy for primary.

And to second frompa, you'll be fine.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:24:10 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're using a carboy bung Instead of a cap, make sure it and the top of the carboy are completely dry before putting it in.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 08:38:32 PM »
Thanks for all of the great tips, as I said this was my first time, if anyone can point me to a solid forum or site for good info on home brewing it would be greatly appreciated! Cheers :)

bord

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 06:31:42 AM »
The folks over at www.homebrewtalk.com will get you through. Been brewing for about a decade now. It only gets better!

Le Dérisoire

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 08:25:12 AM »
And that point of the fermentation, the yeast is pretty much overwhelming the wort and the CO2 is blowing everything outside the carboy. It would be hard for a contaminant to get in the carboy going against the CO2, and then winning the fight for sugar against all this healthy yeast (it’s still possible especially if you have a contaminant that feeds on non-fermentable sugars, but very unlikely).

I think the most dangerous time for contamination starts during the wort cooldown and lasts until the yeast becomes very active.