Author Topic: Home Addition - Basement Expansion  (Read 5825 times)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Home Addition - Basement Expansion
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:57:45 PM »
Hello to all the DIY'ers out there.

I am in the process of planning and bidding out some work for the addition I am making on my house.

My house is a 1 1/2 story with a straight roof line.  I am planning on the addition being perpendicular to the current structure, so the roof line will be an L.  The addition will expand the dining room/kitchen on the first floor and add a master suite above it.

I plan on doing some of the work myself.  Due to skill limits I am hiring out the demo, carpentry, gas, plumbing and electrical work.  So mostly I will be doing the finishing work, Exterior and Interior.

All said and Done I am estimating this will cost around 75-80k depending on how much work I do myself.  With current home values in my neighborhood this could add over 100K value to my house over what I bought it for.  So all in all a decent return.

My question is regarding the basement.  I would like to expand the basement as well, but this would add 10-15k on to the total price.  This work would most likely have to be hired out.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on expanding a basement?

Thanks for the repsonses!

Edit: Would like to add it is a full depth basement, flloor is 6 1/2' underground.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Home Addition - Basement Expansion
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »
Regarding skills - you should do demo, hard to screw that up - but I guess if you are really lacking in skills there is risk that you cut into a load bearing wall or gas line or something.  Finish work, specifically drywall mudding and taping, is best to sub-out to pros as they will do it faster and better than you ever will but do the hanging yourself.

As for the basement add, unless it is something that you dearly want I wouldn't do it - you will get no return for it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!