Author Topic: Home (or what do you think is the itinerant internet equivalent)  (Read 2001 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
I have certainly enjoyed my time here, on the forum.  Every time I come 'home' I feel accepted and in the right place.  Before this website and attendant MMM forum got 'popular', this was augmenting my life.  I'm nowhere near making myself in Thoreau's image nor challenging the understood-MMM existence.  I just wanna' get along.  I want this to continue to be my happy place that I come back to.  I want to be myself as a somewhat privileged rich white guy that hopes harder drugs are approved for public consumption just so I can read the better stories that their brains on drugs ultimately produce.  But that is the worst of me.  Wanting to read stories, probably too much for my own good.

Maybe it's all gratuitous, but that's how I understood the past - that the artists were on drugs and we exploited them with paying lots of money.  Would Prince have gotten hooked on drugs if he just performed for minimum wage?

So there you go.  That is what I hope the internet wants to ponder -

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Home (or what do you think is the itinerant internet equivalent)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 10:43:13 PM »
Would Prince have gotten hooked on drugs if he just performed for minimum wage?

He would've gotten hooked on different drugs. There's a price point for every income level.

Many years ago, I discovered drugs couldn't come close to the highs during and after a painting session, or a fantastic show. Artists - any kind - in it for the long haul tend to stop drugs pretty early on.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:10:14 AM »
Interesting perspective, but I'm not sure that price points and social class factor in.  There are 'party drugs' that are more available to spoiled rich people, but opioids are available to everyone fairly equally.

I do agree that the 'high' of a creative session is impossible to fake with a drug, but I also think artists crave that and taking drugs puts it within reach and their control...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 11:03:01 AM »
Would Prince have gotten hooked on drugs if he just performed for minimum wage?

He would've gotten hooked on different drugs. There's a price point for every income level.

Unfortunately, prescription opioids (Prince's problem) are the poor man's drug today. They are everywhere. When you have some kind of pain or accident, you can even get them for free. And once you get addicted, you can transition to cheap heroin to save a few bucks.