Author Topic: Holy Hell! Need a Hotel in Aspen. What's a Mustachian To Do?  (Read 8442 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Good news: First grandbaby arrived last week!
Bad news: She and her parents live in Aspen.

We will be in SoCal this weekend and want to road trip to Aspen to meet our new grandbaby. We plan on arriving Weds, Aug 3rd and leaving on Sat. or Sunday. We do not want to stay at their place because other relatives are staying there and it's too much stress on the new mom, imo. Need to be on the east side of town close to E. Cooper Ave. We have metric craptons of IHG points, but there's no hotel in the area. We are old, FIRE mustachians, so couch surfing is out of the question. This will be a long trip for us, so we want some creature comforts, but not at $350/night to start! Anybody have any Airbnb or other recommendations?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Holy Hell! Need a Hotel in Aspen. What's a Mustachian To Do?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:00:07 AM »
Look at vrbo as well if you're staying a while it's probably your best bet. Could even get a monthly rate there

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
https://www.vrbo.com/358672

Here is 200 a night. With a kitchen so you could even cook some of the meals at your place to bring to their house

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
I have family in Aspen too so I feel your pain ;)

We usually stay at the Molly Gibson; it's cheaper than any of the vbro/airbnb rentals the last time I looked.  They are always having specials- it appears to be 20% off at the moment.  Also, have your local Aspen family call them to make the reservation- with a little sweet talking from a local, the discount may be greater. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 11:52:23 AM »
Also looking up vacation rentals on Craigslist I found 10 under 200 a night.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »

We usually stay at the Molly Gibson; it's cheaper than any of the vbro/airbnb rentals the last time I looked.  They are always having specials- it appears to be 20% off at the moment.  Also, have your local Aspen family call them to make the reservation- with a little sweet talking from a local, the discount may be greater.
Damn! No rooms at Molly Gibson! Thanks for the local angle - we are working that, too.

Found one possibility on vrbo. Snowmass is cheaper, but too far away, alas.

Good suggestions so far. Thanks and keep them coming. Off to check CL next...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:05:04 PM by Diane C »

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 01:06:58 PM »
Used to live up there, it's totally a non mustachian place.   Little known fact though, if you go to Groupon and change your location to say, Colorado Springs, you will get a ton of hotel deals for the Aspen/Beaver Creek/Vail area. We would routinely see things in the off season for under 100 a night.

JRA64

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 01:25:50 PM »
Do you have to be in Aspen? I've gotten summertime deals at the ski area in Snowmass before. Our usual approach was to walk around and ask about rates once we were physically there looking for a place to stay that night. It's been a few years, they may get more summer visitors now. The other down-valley towns (Basalt, Carbondale) often have cheaper rates than Aspen itself.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 03:28:29 PM »
Do you have to be in Aspen?
Yup. Specifically, as close to the 1100 block of E. Cooper Ave. as we can get, 'cause that's where our new grandbaby lives. We know there are more deals to be had in Snowmass, but we want to be in walking distance to our girl and her parents.

Since last update, I've checked CL and sent off a couple of emails, but there must be something going on that weekend as availability is the pits! Can't find anything on the local calenders, but perhaps it's something so obvious that everyone knows about it.
Used to live up there, it's totally a non mustachian place.   Little known fact though, if you go to Groupon and change your location to say, Colorado Springs, you will get a ton of hotel deals for the Aspen/Beaver Creek/Vail area. We would routinely see things in the off season for under 100 a night.
Groupon is a great idea, but availability seems to be a problem. Why, oh why, do they have to live in Aspen? (I think being a whinypants is justified in this case.)

Also, have your local Aspen family call them to make the reservation- with a little sweet talking from a local, the discount may be greater. 
We're trying to work the local angle, too. They have personal connections at The Annabelle Inn and The Little Nell ($!$!$!$!$!$!), but neither has availability.
Please keep the tips coming, we appreciate them all!

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 03:48:49 PM »
How about hiring an RV ?

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »
If you are road-tripping to Aspen anyway, I think you need to give up on the idea of being within walking distance of your daughter and her family. If you are willing to drive in for the day you will do much better. Try Carbondale, Basalt or Snowmass. I know it's not ideal, but usually the world isn't.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »
Here's my hail mary pass- difficult campground?   
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:30:59 PM by kellyincville »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 11:46:23 PM »
How about hiring an RV ?

Yup, that one's crossed our minds. DH sold his when his mom and her pal Al Z. Heimer moved in with us. We miss it, but we didn't want it to sit unused in the driveway, mocking us.

If you are road-tripping to Aspen anyway, I think you need to give up on the idea of being within walking distance of your daughter and her family. If you are willing to drive in for the day you will do much better. Try Carbondale, Basalt or Snowmass. I know it's not ideal, but usually the world isn't.

This is the longest vacation DH and I have ever taken in the history of us. I am going to do whatever I can to make it as close to ideal as possible, which is why I turned to this awesome community for help. It is far too early in the game to give up. Our proposed itinerary follows. Estimated mileage, without side trips, and elapsed time, sans traffic delays, in parenthesis.

(tl;dr - don't read between the lines)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 2016 Great Family Oldest-to-Youngest Road Trip:

Day 1-3        Bay Area to Long Beach. Two days on the Queen Mary with my closest family. We decided at my Dad's Memorial Service in April to celebrate my Aunt's 86th birthday. We didn't want to wait until her funeral to see each other again. Always up for a party, she chose the locale and is generously hosting. OOP: Gas, parking, incidentals. (390 miles, 5'40")
Day 4-5        Long Beach to Palm Desert, CA. Two days in the desert, in August, spiffing up our newest rental before the new tenants move in. OOP: Gas, food (132 miles, 2'15")
Day 5           Palm Desert, CA to St George UT. Using IHG Points. OOP: Gas, Food (602 miles, 5'54")
Day 6           St. George, UT to Aspen, CO. OOP: Gas, Food (816 miles, 7'21")
Daya 6.5- 9  Aspen, CO. Will spring for groceries and may fulfill a Costco wish list on the way in. OOP: ??? (Please Dog, no driving!)
Day 10         Aspen , CO to Salt Lake City, UT. More IHG Points. OOP: More Gas, Food (656 miles, 6'20")
Day 11         SLC to Bay Area. OOP: Last Gas, Food (716 miles, 10'21")
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If you're a good math-er, that's 3,312 miles and 38 hours of driving, not including traffic, fill-ups and pit stops. Estimated gas cost: $450.

More Notes: We will need a variety of clothing for this trip, from work clothes to dress-up. We are packing only what we already own. Further, we travel with a cooler and make meals along the way. All hotel nights booked so far include breakfast. My Aunt's special gifts cost under $10. (Shhh, don't tell, they're awesome!) Baby gifts were given at baby shower, so that's covered too.

No fucking way are we going to stay any further than walking distance from our new grandbaby. Those three days are our only respite from mucho driving. We are FI and could afford to stay anywhere we want. We would rather not be sheep. We're trying to figure out something that won't cost more than the refrigerator we are installing in the new rental property ($1.1k, ouch!). The mustachian way is to get the best value for each green soldier eliminated. You guys have offered up a ton of awesome suggestions and I'm confident that something will turn up as a result.

Just for a fun example, for those mustachians following along, I priced out The Little Nell (closest to their house) this morning. The Room Availability Chart shows the price (four night minimum) before tax of $8,045.00. And no, that is not a typo. With tax, the tab would be nearly NINE GRAND! Plus who knows what other fees await? (Parking? Tips? Resort Fees? IDK)  BTW, as of tonight, one of out dates has sold out. WHO pays this kind of money? Crazy rich people, or people traveling on the company dime, that's who!!

Here's my hail mary pass- difficult campground?   
Oh, kellyincville, your suggestions have been great, but I'm too damn old for that and I don't want to schlepp all that gear so far. While I won't spend NINE GRAND to avoid camping, my everything is crossed that it doesn't come to that. I thought I was being generous in budgeting $200/night, especially since we have over 700k IHG points! But the thought of spending anywhere close to $1k or more is killing me.

BTW - I had to google "difficult campground". Wonderful out-of-the-box thinking! I even thought about borrowing DSD's camping gear, but DH was less than enthusiastic. Since he'll be doing most of the driving, I need to pay attention to his comfort too. One wrinkle in all of this is that DH is not particularly mustachian. He wants for so very little that when faced with a big expense, he is far more likely than I to say "Fuck it, we can afford it."

P.S. I am really appreciative of all of your suggestions. Please don't think I'm taking potshots at your ideas, they are good ones. I had given this a lot of thought and effort before I sought help from this awesome community. I'm a firm believer in shaking the trees to make some fruit fall (aka making your own "luck"). One of your tips may yet prove to be the fruit I was seeking.

BTW - can you guess that after 3k posts, I finally figured out how to do multiple quotes? Fun!

Thanks again, you awesome mustachian people! Mwah!

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 12:06:02 AM »
Is it possible that there's a Couchsurfing host in the area? That would be extremely cost effective.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 12:48:02 AM »
<<<<<much hasty internet searching>>>>> There doesn't seem to be anyone active. Any tips? I've never couchsurfed before so I wouldn't have thought of it, thanks!

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 01:12:10 AM »
I've never done it. Possibly expand your radius a bit and have a little bit of driving each day.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »
I only skimmed this thread, but is delaying the trip a couple of weeks an option? You said the baby was born last week and you can't stay with the parents because they already have family staying there. It seems like a lot for a new mom to handle this early on. Maybe delaying two weeks would lower the cost of lodging as well as helping out the new mom?  The baby will still be tiny and sweet. :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 09:02:29 AM »
I only skimmed this thread, but is delaying the trip a couple of weeks an option? You said the baby was born last week and you can't stay with the parents because they already have family staying there. It seems like a lot for a new mom to handle this early on. Maybe delaying two weeks would lower the cost of lodging as well as helping out the new mom?  The baby will still be tiny and sweet. :)
Good suggestion, slappy (love that handle, btw). I wish I could, but it's linked into a longer trip (itinerary between the lines above). I'm completely somewhat okay with waiting, but we'd have to fly and airfares are crazy high and flight schedules awkward. Also, DH, a man of extremely minimal wants, really wants to see his daughter and granddaughter. Daughter seems to want Dad to meet new baby Right.Now., possibly because their wife/mom died suddenly not so very long ago. Plus her husband's family have already been there. I think this dear new mom needs her Dad right now.

...and answering your questions just turned the light bulb on.

Maybe this is one of those times when it's more important to spend than save. Hmmm, lots of thinking to do today. Thanks for helping me work through this, everyone. I'll keep you posted as I try to find the right balance. Feel free to offer suggestions/facepunches if you think I've just lost my mind.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »
Sorry the hail mary didn't work, Diane!  Camping wouldn't be my ideal choice either but when your other choice is the little nell, well...

Aspen is usually back to back festivals/conferences in July and August.  I don't know which is going on at the moment but that's probably what you're running into. 

Have none of the vbro/airbnb/craigslist worked out?  Can your aspen family email out to friends?  Or maybe if they could put a flyer in peach's (the most local of the coffee shops)? 

crispy

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 01:32:45 PM »
Expedia had the Inn at Aspen for $286 per night for those dates. Not cheap, but not bad considering.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »
Ouch.

What about seeing if you can rent a little RV for a few days while you are in Aspen and park it in their driveway? Don't know how much they cost to rent but the prices you are quoting are through the roof insane.

Or see if daughter has friends with an RV you can borrow?

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »
Ouch.

What about seeing if you can rent a little RV for a few days while you are in Aspen and park it in their driveway? Don't know how much they cost to rent but the prices you are quoting are through the roof insane.

Or see if daughter has friends with an RV you can borrow?

Or if daughter has a friend with a guest room you could rent for a reasonable price...

I'm assuming they know various/many people from the area because they have a life there? I know that I would be willing to help out a family member of a close friend for a few nights if asked oh so very nicely and few dollars in compensation would just be a nice necessary bonus.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:07:47 PM by CmFtns »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 08:15:36 AM »
Mini update:
Apparently vrbo = Home Away. I had checked both sites, but didn't get the connection, because different things came up on each site.

Found a studio on CL, but it was a listing from June that mysteriously hadn't expired. Contacted to see if it was available in August, but got no answer. Tried again and got Prop. Mgr. who pointed me to Home Away site. Property didn't come up. Turns out owner had blocked a couple of days for himself, but had decided not to use. Denver-based Property Mgr. hadn't updated the listing yet. He thinks it might be the dates we need and has promised to get back to me today. The rate looks to be about $200/night, which would be a relief. Boy, talk about anchoring!

Thanks for the leads, everyone. I'll check them out today.

Daughter is checking with friends, but since they are adjusting to a brand-new baby right now, I'd rather figure something out without bugging them too much. Availability is tight for our dates.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »
so glad you found something that will hopefully work out! I would gag at those prices too!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 11:05:35 PM »
Oh boy, it's not good news yet, I'm afraid. The studio's secret availability is for the following week, gah!. And in other news, the cheapest night at The Little Nell has gone from $715 to $1825. I'm not even gonna re-do the math on that one...

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 05:48:59 AM »
i think an RV rental would be cheapest.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 08:11:38 AM »
Another vote for renting an RV on the way there, plug in it while parked in their driveway. Google for rental place that is on the way to Aspen on your drive route, not one located in Aspen itself.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »
Good news: First grandbaby arrived last week!
Bad news: She and her parents live in Aspen.

We will be in SoCal this weekend and want to road trip to Aspen to meet our new grandbaby. We plan on arriving Weds, Aug 3rd and leaving on Sat. or Sunday. We do not want to stay at their place because other relatives are staying there and it's too much stress on the new mom, imo. Need to be on the east side of town close to E. Cooper Ave. We have metric craptons of IHG points, but there's no hotel in the area. We are old, FIRE mustachians, so couch surfing is out of the question. This will be a long trip for us, so we want some creature comforts, but not at $350/night to start! Anybody have any Airbnb or other recommendations?

Congrats on the grandbaby. Now for the facepunch......

You are going out of your way/mind to make this a BS situation by having such specific perfect plans and ideas but allowing for absolutely no flexibility - needs to be the perfect hotel (that doesn't exist there), located in their back yard (literally and also doesn't exist) and has to cost less than the going rate of everything else in the area (doesn't seem to exist).  Aside from figuring out an Aspen hotel, your cramming 3300 miles in 11 days with multiple destinations.....some bad weather or bad traffic jam could by itself derail your plans for a bit.  This trip sounds awful to me....the whole point of being FIRE is to have the time and flexibility to do things in a thoughtful and enjoyable way.

If your FIRE, I don't understand why you couldn't reverse the trip or go there a week earlier when the other family isn't there and spend more time there, or stay a few days later and only get a hotel for a night or two until the family leaves. 

That said I get it, you are FIRE and can do what you want and if you can afford it and if being in the perfect everything is the most important thing (most valuable to you) then the money doesn't matter  because you have put yourself in a position to choose....so don't stress about it, but as the Stones say "You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometime you find, You get what you need"

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
You are going out of your way/mind to make this a BS situation by having such specific perfect plans and ideas but allowing for absolutely no flexibility - needs to be the perfect hotel (that doesn't exist there), located in their back yard (literally and also doesn't exist) and has to cost less than the going rate of everything else in the area (doesn't seem to exist).  Aside from figuring out an Aspen hotel, your cramming 3300 miles in 11 days with multiple destinations.....some bad weather or bad traffic jam could by itself derail your plans for a bit.  This trip sounds awful to me....the whole point of being FIRE is to have the time and flexibility to do things in a thoughtful and enjoyable way.

I was thinking a similar thing but too scared to face punch this hard

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »
Renting an RV and boondocking on the street seems like your only option to fulfill all the requirements. But since you aren't up for that and don't want to pay out the nose.... You need to give up walking distance. That's crazy. Its freaking Aspen. Where millionaires go for vacation! And you want something less than $200 a night, on the main strip with 1-2 weeks notice!. That is completely unreasonable expectation. I can barely find places for <$130 a night in a city in the middle of nowhere.

I know you are adamantly against a 20 min drive but there are RFTA buses that go up and down hwy82. Would that be an option? I mean you wouldn't be driving someone else would. You could take the first bus in the morning and the last at night. Walk, bike, and take the free shuttle around during the day.

Not to be rude. But have you asked new mom whether they even want that many people around? I've never had babies. But even so I would not want additional visitors if there were already others staying in my house! Maybe another week would be best. You can find cheap flights between Denver and California. You can stay longer. Stay with your family. And you won't be rushed driving all over the place.

canyonrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »

You are going out of your way/mind to make this a BS situation by having such specific perfect plans and ideas but allowing for absolutely no flexibility ....

This x2. As the father of two small children and as someone who has spent considerable time in the Aspen area over the years, I don't understand why you have such stringent requirements with respect to location and timing. Some ideas to consider:

- There are several smaller independent hotels right in Aspen that are relatively inexpensive. Mountain Chalet is one, Chalet Lisl and the St. Moritz are two others that come to mind. Check those before messing with VRBO/AirBNB. And stop checking the Little Nell if you can't stomach those prices.

- Try to modify your schedule to avoid staying over a weekend. This will greatly improve availability and possibly pricing as well.

- Reconsider staying in Snowmass. I know you said there is "no fucking way" you are going to drive, but Snowmass is only an 8 mile drive or easy bus ride to Aspen proper, and there are a bunch of condo complexes and VRBO options there. Even Basalt is only a 30 minute drive and would give you more lodging options. Certainly not as convenient, but if your only available alternative is the Little Nell and you don't want to pay that premium, then it will be worth it to drive a little. And I know that when my parents and inlaws visited when our kids were newborns, we didn't want them around our house all day anyway.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »
Did they send out a mass e-mail birth announcement (lots of friends Cc) or FB post?

You could "reply all" and ask her friends that way, without directly bothering her.

Worded the right way you may get a bite. We have a guest room and have let a 3rd cousin & her friend stay for free.

I've only met the cousin briefly at 2 weddings but it didn't bother me.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 12:28:01 PM »
Good luck. We've only been to Aspen once...it was a random few days during the week in the off season, and we still paid about $200/night to stay at the Limelight.

You're not going to find a great housing situation out there.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 12:35:21 PM »
Diane C is FIREd but her hubby still works so I imagine he is just using limited vacation time. Plus they are caretakers of a parent with Altzhiemers who lives with them and I image they have had to get a caretaker to do that while they are gone. So logistics aren't always simple.

That certainly adds more context to and would be understandable then if that's the case, but in the OP she did say they were FIRE not just FI so that is where I took that from but the parent thing is understandable. And still all the more reason to be flexible and not cram too much in such a short period.

But I do like your idea of doing the trip in reverse and staying with kids before other relatives get there, or just dropping the SoCal portion of the trip (they have property there and probably planned to check it out). Could even fly to Denver and have more time in the area and with grandbaby and family.

Exactly. 

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »
Another alternative for cheap lodging nearby:  stay at a cabin in an RV park somewhat close, and drive over to visit:

http://koa.com/campgrounds/carbondale/

http://glenwoodcanyonresort.com/rv-sites.html

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »
Congrats Diane. Suggest you ask the daughter in Aspen if she has a friend that has a room you can use.

Also, this is not going to be a one time problem. One of the greatest blessings we have had is that my DW's parents committed to visiting as often as every 6 weeks after our first was born. I would vote for a solution that will be repeatable and sustainable because you and that Grandchild are going to need to see as much as possible of each other.
Best wishes, Ap.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »
Regarding the RV suggestion- if the new parents would be okay with it being in their driveway, great!  However, I would not count on being able to park it on residential streets in Aspen.  I know a couple with a cutest little airstream you could imagine and they were not able to park for more than a couple hours anywhere downtown before being asked to move. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!