Author Topic: Apartment Lease/Renting Options During Corona Times  (Read 1063 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
Apartment Lease/Renting Options During Corona Times
« on: May 15, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »
My apt lease is up in a few months and I will not be renewing it. I am thinking about relocating to Boulder from Denver.
Right now, I dont like the idea of being tied up in a lease at all with so much uncertainty as I am also entertaining the idea of a move across to country to a much cheaper COL city. What considerations would you have right now if you were a renter in this market?
I just looked at airbnb and saw that montly rentals are insanely cheap and are actually a better deal than most apts with a year lease in Boulder.
I have also been wondering if the rental market will continue to get even more affordable if these college towns dont fill up with students due to the likely virtual learning climate ahead. 
Would love any thoughts/advice on all of this as I dont know very much about the rental markets in general.

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: Apartment Lease/Renting Options During Corona Times
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 10:06:54 AM »
I just looked at airbnb and saw that montly rentals are insanely cheap and are actually a better deal than most apts with a year lease in Boulder.

That sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't love the idea of looking at a bunch of apartments right now and I would feel a lot more comfortable renting a place sight unseen if I was only committing to a month instead of a whole year (we did it, and we wouldn't have wanted to be there for a year, but it was fine for a month). You should figure it the cost of storage if you have furniture you don't want to get rid of (probably won't be able to get much/any money for used furniture right now).

betsbillabong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 12:31:24 PM »
I live in Boulder, and I'm thinking that there will be many more vacancies than usual. And also that if this is longterm, even more AirBnBs going for longterm rentals only. That said, it's still super expensive, and if you are equally interested in moving to a LCOL location, I would do so in a heartbeat! It's a nice place to live but I'm stuck here with a job that makes it really hard to get ahead.

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »
I live in Boulder, and I'm thinking that there will be many more vacancies than usual. And also that if this is longterm, even more AirBnBs going for longterm rentals only. That said, it's still super expensive, and if you are equally interested in moving to a LCOL location, I would do so in a heartbeat! It's a nice place to live but I'm stuck here with a job that makes it really hard to get ahead.
@betsbillabong thanks for the insight! Not knowing if business/restaurants will really open back up any time soon a part of me has been wondering if I would even get my money's worth out of being in Boulder vs a more remote mountain area neary by. My interest in boulder over denver has always been the easier access to nature but still cool city vibe but I wonder if the latter will even feel relevant in the months ahead. If not, I would far prefer to be tucked further way into nature and paying less in rent.

betsbillabong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »
Since it sounds like you can adjust your plans on the fly, I’d be in a LCOL area now and save your pennies to live in the cool city when it CS actually be a cool city.