Author Topic: Hobbies  (Read 4566 times)

kmb501

• Bristles
Hobbies
« on: February 16, 2015, 08:13:20 PM »
I need to write, and I want to be heard and read. I feel like it would be a great hobby that might help me connect with other people, relieve stress, and keep me from spending money on other hobbies. I don't want to just write to myself, though. Is there some way for me to start blogging and get an interested audience right away? If I had a substantial audience, I could maybe make a little money off of it in the future, though book sales.   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:37:39 PM by kmb501 »

roadtripper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
Starting a blog on Tumblr could be a good option. You'd be on a platform that's built for sharing content and could start following other like-minded writers on Tumblr -- people who write about similar topics as yours or have writing styles that speak to you -- who might follow you back. That would be one way to find a community. But it still may take you a while to build an audience. There's no easy way to get an immediate following. You have to earn it.

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
Unless you have something epic Or exclusive to say, an audience takes time. The smart passive income blog / podcast is a good place to start learning.

Guesl982374

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:36:23 AM »
There are no shortcuts in life. Put in the work, create something of value, promote yourself to create an audience.

tlars699

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:31:32 AM »
Okay- so say you like a hobby, but you're not very good at it. Should you do a vlog about learning to do that, or should you try to make tutorial/timelapse videos about a different hobby you may have more skills on?

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 11:15:07 AM »
There are no shortcuts in life. Put in the work, create something of value, promote yourself to create an audience.

Really, I would just be happy with ten or so people to read it to start. 

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »
Well...if you don't mind paying for an audience to start with you could check out postloop.com. It's a site that pays people to comment on forums and blogs. I've been a commenter so I'm not sure how it works exactly, but you as the site owner would determine how much you pay.

Or get involved with blog rings. Or just start blogging here?

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 06:30:35 PM »
Well...if you don't mind paying for an audience to start with you could check out postloop.com. It's a site that pays people to comment on forums and blogs. I've been a commenter so I'm not sure how it works exactly, but you as the site owner would determine how much you pay.

Or get involved with blog rings. Or just start blogging here?

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:29:58 AM »

Really, I would just be happy with ten or so people to read it to start.

I have a blog that about 50 people follow on blogger (possibly more read it- I know only 17 follow it on bloglovin).

The best way to get readers is to network in the community of similar blogs.  I would think most people found, and follow my blog because of comments I posted on similar blogging communities. They followed my name back to find what I write.

The blog isn't monetized though, because ads drive me crazy and I don't think 50 people will earn me more than a few cents a year.  I'd have to be deliberate about driving content out there if I want to earn more.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
I need to write, and I want to be heard and read. I feel like it would be a great hobby that might help me connect with other people, relieve stress, and keep me from spending money on other hobbies. I don't want to just write to myself, though. Is there some way for me to start blogging and get an interested audience right away? If I had a substantial audience, I could maybe make a little money off of it in the future, though book sales.

Setting the question of making money off your blog aside, you can get a blog up and going instantly at a website called savingadvice.com.  Your audience may all be "internal" to the site, but you definitely will get viewership (with a stat counter thrown in so you'll know).  Heck, you will even get comments.  AND your blog can be as inconsequential as you like.  (You'll see what I mean by just checking the site's home page.)

Good luck.