Author Topic: Hiring a career coach?  (Read 3079 times)

birdiegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hiring a career coach?
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »
Trying to figure out what to do next and am thinking about looking for a career coach.   Has anyone worked with one before?  Was it worth the cost? 

Long story short, I’ve known for awhile that I will be losing my job at some point.  Our company is being sold off in pieces and I’ve lost half of my responsibilities since last year.   I have it pretty good (work ½ mile from home, paid well, work barely 40hrs/wk) so my plan has been just ride it out and take the severance when it comes.  Now my boss’ behavior has started to change and she’s made a few odd comments, so I suspect my layoff will be coming sooner rather than later. 

The problem is I have no idea what to do next.  The thought of taking another corporate accounting/finance position turns my stomach.  I just don’t think I can stand dealing with the pointless corporate bs anymore.   Unfortunately, I’m nowhere near FIRE, so I still need to bring in a decent paycheck. 

Been running through all the possibilities in my head for months now but I just can’t seem to find a direction.  I just keep going around in a circle and everything I come up with feels like a dead end – either jobs I might enjoy but wouldn’t pay enough….or jobs that would pay well but I'm sure I'd hate them.   

I think I need some help getting out of my head and moving forward to taking action somehow…..so that’s what made me think a career coach might help.   

Would a career coach be the right person to help with a situation like this?  How do you find a good one that is worth spending the $$$? 

Cezil

• Stubble
Re: Hiring a career coach?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »
SO just got laid off and isn't sure what to do next..similar situation to you, we still need that paycheck coming in.  I never considered a career coach before.  Posting to follow.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »
I'm just here to commiserate. I was laid off a few months ago from my accounting related job. I didn't want to go back but I ended up getting a job offer for a similar job which I took, because I figure I might as well take the money while its being offered.

If you really want to change careers consider the effort that it will take and how long you will have to train. I was looking into doing front end web development and if I really wanted to do it it would take 1-2 years of training before I could get a corporate job doing that. I'm still interested in making websites for myself so I will still do some training.

Before you hire a job coach, consider laying it all out on this forum. Put what your savings are, and what your ideas are for work, and people will comment. For me I'm not sure how a career coach will work, because I don't want a "career."

People will say that its easier to get a job while you have one, but if you feel uncertain about taking a new corporate job that may come across in interviews. I waited until I was laid off until I started looking.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »
I received career placement counselling services for a couple of months when laid off.   The interest surveys and testing were very helpful in defining a new path.  (note, it was not paid by me).

I have also worked with a network group that has "life / career / executive" coaching in usually a group setting.  Helpful in setting goals and keeping focused.   But, I think the self-employed persons have the greatest benefit, for this type of coaching, as it helps them stay on track and moving their business to the next level.

Can you find the first type?  They would need to be certified in the various career placement an aptitude tools.

Lepetitange3

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »
If you file for UI, lots of states have career placement services that are free and might help you redefine your path even if you decide to take a similar job in the meantime and work on a plan to switch roles later.

Also yes- if you post it all here, I think you'll get plenty of coaching and advice ;)

I don't know that I would pay someone for any of that though.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »
I'd be interested in hearing from posters who have worked with a career coach.  I'm feeling pretty stuck in my current position.  Earning a good salary, but not really learning anything useful or doing anything terribly productive.

birdiegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:49:08 AM »
I did get some of the state outplacement services years ago with a previous layoff but didn't find it all that helpful.  They seem to be focused on the basics (resumes, job searching, interviews, etc) to get a new job as quickly as possible.   For the most part, the guidance wasn't personal.  I think what I'm really needing from a coach is someone who could help me look at my skills & experience and help me figure out how to translate that into something outside of the corporate world that would be more fulfilling to me.  Maybe they could see some possibilities I haven't thought of.   

I've been in corporate accounting/finance my whole career and now at a director level, so it feels like it would be a huge shift to move in another direction.   Don't have a dream career/field in mind yet. I love animals so have thought about working for a shelter/vet/zoo.  I also like the idea of helping small businesses - maybe managing their books or consulting to help them solve operational or financial problems.   Unfortunately, I don't have direct experience with any of those things and not sure how to get it without starting over at the bottom.   

Lepetitange3

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »
I don't think you need to pay anyone.  Post a list of skills here and maybe start a new thread.  The forum is full of inventive, crazy people who can help you figure this out without you spending the $$$ on a coach.

Lepetitange3

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:51 AM »
Also the zoo thought maybe a good place to start.  Zoos surely have finance people and while you probably won't make as much in the public sector as you are now, it might be close enough in that type of position

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
It's been a while, but when I was in the midst of a career change, I worked through What Color Is Your Parachute. It had a great chapter on the two-step career change process IIRC.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »
+1 Parachute book. Reinvention Roadmap is good too. As for original questions, I haven't worked with one so no advice. I'd interview a few to see how you feel about it.