Author Topic: Hiking pants  (Read 4573 times)

lavagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hiking pants
« on: August 03, 2016, 03:56:25 PM »
I'm going hiking in Banff in September.   My plan was to wear my yoga/ stretchy pants.  Is this a bad idea? Do I need something more durable?

Also, if you have any general suggestions I'd love to hear them as this is my first hiking trip.

Thanks!

song gnos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Hiking pants
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 04:01:53 PM »
How long of a hike will it be? What is the general terrain going to be?

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 04:04:03 PM »
I think everytime we go to Banff for hiking, I wear my bermuda denim shorts.  Anything is fine, don't over think it.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:13:37 PM »
Mosquitos will bite right through tight fitting stretch pants. To prevent mosquito hell, loose fitting clothing will prohibit a mosquito landing on your pants and being able to bite through to your skin. They will also allow air to circulate if it gets hot, preferable synthetic fiber that wicks away sweat to keep you dry.

lavagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »
How long of a hike will it be? What is the general terrain going to be?

All day for three days.  Not sure about the terrain, but probably moderate trails.  Thanks!

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 04:25:08 PM »
REI outlet always has hiking pants on sale.  Brands like Columbia can be had for about $30 and are loose-fitting and breathable, and they dry quickly.

I wouldn't hike in denim because last time I did, the jeans got sweaty and damp, and STAYED that way for the rest of the day.  For stretchy/yoga pants, I'd be concerned that they'd snag a lot. 

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 04:44:26 PM »
+1 for REI (or Title 9) hiking/climbing pants. I've hiked in stretchy/yoga pants, but they're not so great for heat/bug management.

Have a great trip!

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »
I prefer to hike in thin yoga pants when it's likely to be warm (65 degrees or higher) and heavier running tights if it will be cooler. I have hiking pants from REI (that zip off into shorts), but I find stretchy fabric to be more comfortable than hiking pants by a mile (and significantly less sweaty). I've never had an issue with snagging, but I also don't tend to do a lot of bushwhacking. Hiking in denim sounds like a quick ticket to sweaty chafing hell. 

I would google more about the bug situation in Banff in September. I'm heading to the Sierras for 3 weeks in late August-September, and most years the mosquitoes are significantly thinned out by then (July when the snow starts to melt is the worst for bugs there). If you are worried, you can also treat your yoga pants (and the rest of your clothes) with permithren, which makes them bug-resistant.

General tips:
- Be vigilant about the sun. Wear a hat and loose-fitting long sleeves, and reapply sunscreen often. The sun at higher elevations can bake your skin into oblivion without you noticing (especially because it often does so when the temps are cooler so you don't really feel the rays beating down on you).
- Carry the ten essentials (http://www.americanhiking.org/resources/10essentials/)
- Drink more water and eat more food than you think you need to

yay for your first multi-day backpacking trip! It's so fun, I hope you have a fabulous time.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 06:10:45 PM »
I love my Royal Robbins Go Everywhere pants. They are lightweight, quick drying, and UPF50+.  I bought them online for about $30.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 07:31:11 PM »
I recommend Prana Stretch Zion pants if you can find some on sale.  I'd try them on at REI first.

kitkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »
I pretty much always wear yoga leggings, but that is more for day-hiking. I agree with the others who suggest loose-fitting hiking pants for a long trip. Light colored could be better if it is supposed to be hot.

My first hiking or camping experience was 5 days of backpacking! I absolutely loved it, but was lucky to be with some really experienced folks. I would say a good backpack (unless you just meant you're doing day hikes for 3 days) and good shoes+socks are the most important things clothing-wise.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 10:15:27 AM »
I recommend Prana Stretch Zion pants if you can find some on sale.  I'd try them on at REI first.

My husband has the dude version of these and likes them. I have the REI knockoff (the Sahara) and do not like them if it will be even a little bit warm, because around the waistband/butt area they have this fleecy fabric in the lining. It is SO. DAMN. HOT. and my sweat never dries.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 10:20:10 AM »
I like to hike in running tights/yoga pants. I hiked 100 miles/~5-15 miles a day round Mont Blanc a couple of years ago and I alternated between a pair of running capris and lightweight rollup hiking pants (store brand from EMS, which is like a Northeast-based REI).

Just make sure you're not wearing cotton or rayon, those can stay damp and get chafe-y if you wear them for long periods of intense exercise.

Aminul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 01:50:32 PM »
I have a pair of North Face zip off hiking pants that I absolutely love.  It's great having the option of shorts/pants while on the trail.  If you come across a grassy field, or thick brush, the legs go on.  If the afternoon sun warms things up, legs come off.

Another thing to consider is if there will be any scrambling involved.  Hiking pants are typically made of stronger material than yoga/running pants.  They will withstand more abrasion from rubbing against rocks or tree bark.