Author Topic: High Quality Jeans (Need recommendations)  (Read 7622 times)

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
High Quality Jeans (Need recommendations)
« on: November 21, 2015, 11:50:53 AM »
I wear jeans to work, and seem to go through a pair every 6-7 months when the holes start showing up. It is not too bad cause I am getting them at target for around $20 a pair. But would love some that could actually last longer. Any tips?

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
Re: High Quality Jeans (Need recommendations)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »
Are you a man or a woman?  Is it rough work, like something where there is actual wear and tear on the pants, construction, logging, or is it just office work and from washing and drying that they wear out?  You you looking for "work" pants or dressy-sort-of jeans?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »
I can't get them any more as I no longer live near a Costco.  But I used to buy men's Kirkland jeans for $13.  (2006 prices, I suspect they've gone up some.)

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »
Same questions, are you a woman or man and what kind of jeans are you looking for?

As a woman I ran into the problem of cheaper jeans ripping. The high-end brands actually do last but are sooo expensive. True Religion, J Brand, etc. Nordstrom Rack et al help with the price, but they're still around $50-$80. On the plus side, the pairs I have bought have been going for 5+ years.

Express has some decent "jeggings," and they have lots of 40%-50% off sales.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 12:58:24 PM »
$7 a pair for high quality ones at the local thrift stores. We know of three nearby that are in upscale areas, and have had good luck finding at least one pair that the husband likes each time we've checked. I have a bit less luck, but I have still found several pairs over about a years' time. It really is about locating a decent area store and just popping in every month or so if there's something specific you're searching for.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 01:24:26 PM »
Care is a big factor in longevity. Infrequent cold water washing and always line dry them.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 01:37:25 PM »
I only wear high quality raw denim (Japanese selvedge) and do not mind spending $150 on a pair that will last me a few years of four-season abuse, whether walking, biking, hiking, and office wear. I only buy Naked & Famous, original or "unbranded", the latter being cheaper but of equal quality. Plus they look great if you pair them with a nice sports jacket. Jeans and boots (Blundstones) are the only purchases for which I don't skimp on price. IMO, these are very mustachian purchases.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 01:39:32 PM »
Are you a man or a woman?  Is it rough work, like something where there is actual wear and tear on the pants, construction, logging, or is it just office work and from washing and drying that they wear out?  You you looking for "work" pants or dressy-sort-of jeans?

Man, and a mix between office and construction. Looks don't matter, so they don't need to be "dressy".

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 01:40:56 PM »
$7 a pair for high quality ones at the local thrift stores. We know of three nearby that are in upscale areas, and have had good luck finding at least one pair that the husband likes each time we've checked. I have a bit less luck, but I have still found several pairs over about a years' time. It really is about locating a decent area store and just popping in every month or so if there's something specific you're searching for.

Excellent suggestion, I have no idea why I had this mental block thinking there would be no way they would have the right size but I assume it is pretty average.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »
I have the same issue with jeans and if you're like most people the holes and wear probably happen in the same places over time.  If so, I would suggest preemptive patching.  That's what I started doing and it's been a great help.

Keep your old pair and use the material to patch a new pair on the inside wherever they usually develop holes first.  That should help them wear more evenly and extend the life.

Also, wash them inside out in cold only and always air dry them (the dryer can wear down the fabric quickly).

Doing the above has extended the life of my jeans to nearly twice was it used to be.

Letj

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »
I wear jeans to work, and seem to go through a pair every 6-7 months when the holes start showing up. It is not too bad cause I am getting them at target for around $20 a pair. But would love some that could actually last longer. Any tips?

Check out your nearest Goodwill or thrift shop and pick them up for $2.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 08:13:41 PM »
I can't get them any more as I no longer live near a Costco.  But I used to buy men's Kirkland jeans for $13.  (2006 prices, I suspect they've gone up some.)

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-Men's-5-Pocket-Blue-Jean.product.100027717.html

$12 shipped off the website.

bauhauss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 08:45:25 PM »
Wrangler. Very sturdy fabric.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 03:55:50 AM »

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 04:03:19 AM »
Dickies.  Available for the $20 range locally to me, most other common brand are in the $40-50 range.  The Dickies seem to be the higher quality ones, and cheaper too.  They're just never advertised.  Probably why they're so cheap, not throwing all their money at marketing.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 07:30:57 AM »
If you want to go the other route with something that might last (instead of something cheap enough to not worry about replacing) you might check out http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-fire-hose-work-pants-92204.aspx?processor=content. Double check on this (try to find confirmation), but I think they at least used to replace them for free if they wore out.

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
My husband has several pairs from Banana Republic that are many years old. I have some as well. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were near the 10 year mark. They will often sell for fairly high prices, maybe $60+, but I have never spent more than $35 by paying attention to sales. Getting 40% off is the bare minimum with them.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 11:04:38 PM »

This. I can pick up Levis or Lees for $7/pair and they last a long time.

Catastrophysicist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 11:32:08 PM »
I recently picked up pairs of '7 for all mankind' and 'Citizens of Humanity' for 10 dollars each at a Goodwill in a higher end market. These are both good brands imo. Comfortable, durable, and stylish. Also retail for between 150-250 which makes them extra nice, haha.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 10:38:34 AM »
Levi 501 shrink to fits are $30 on black friday where I live, I buy 2 every year. Earlier this year Levi had a 50% off sale and I got 2 pair for $20 each as well, so I'm not sure if I'll go for them on friday. Someone above said they found levis for $7, but I doubt they were 501s, I was checking slickdeals for levis for 2 months before I found that 50% off levi sale.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
http://www.carhartt.com/

Carhartt has very durable, sturdy clothing.

Not cheap, but high quality.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
Are you stuck on blue jeans?  If not, cotton duck pants seem to hold up better. Maybe due to the different weave pattern?  Also, rather than 100% cotton, look for pants with some poly in them.  Not quite as soft and not good for jobs where you could be exposed to heat/flame (they melt) but they wear like iron. 

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/mens-carhartt-twill-work-pants?a=975411&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WX2*0227202N74LXJ&gclid=COahtqGlp8kCFUokgQodt90OMQ

cborders

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 12:41:09 PM »
First things first -- how are you caring for them? The enemies of denim are dirt, chemicals, and heat, so your jeans should be washed with cold water and a mild detergent. I wash mine by hand in cold water using castile soap and air dry.

Wrangler used to make good jeans but the quality has fallen off as of late and unless you can find some deadstock 13MWZ's or something from their Blue Bell line they aren't any better than any other jean of similar weight. In fact the Rustler knock-off brand at Wal-Mart is probably on par with Wrangler's new jeans at a fraction of the price. My dad went from the 13MWZ's to Carhartt pants made of duck and he seems pretty happy with the quality.

If you're not interested in shelling out the money for heavier-weight, traditionally woven jeans then just buy what you like and try to take care of them.