Author Topic: High quality clothing for capsule wardrobe  (Read 24406 times)

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
Re: High quality clothing for capsule wardrobe
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2015, 10:27:31 AM »
I think the French have been doing this for years and they didn't have to have a silly name for it.
"Silly name" - Awesome. But in France, clothes are, by default, pretty high quality and closets are, by default, pretty small.

I have clothes I purchased 6 years ago in Paris that have held up to regular, consistent wearing better than pretty much anything I've bought in the US. And they aren't fancy designer clothes - just regular shirts from a Macy's-type department store.

It's an active process to go for quality over quantity in clothing (or most anything) in the US. Sometimes a silly name helps people get there. Kinda like Mustachianism. :)

sequim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »
So you think the French would be like us if they had bigger closets? ;)

AKA mix and match wardrobe which seemed to describe it just fine.  But of course in journalism, a new name would be more catchy, as if it were a new concept.

So I'd never heard this term before and now suddenly, it's all over in the news!  Here we go:  http://www.becomingminimalist.com/wear-one/

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2015, 04:28:19 PM »
So you think the French would be like us if they had bigger closets? ;)

AKA mix and match wardrobe which seemed to describe it just fine.  But of course in journalism, a new name would be more catchy, as if it were a new concept.

So I'd never heard this term before and now suddenly, it's all over in the news!  Here we go:  http://www.becomingminimalist.com/wear-one/
Oh I hope not. I hope France is always a place of high quality clothing, small portions and stinky, rich cheese. But if cheap and ubiquitous manage a larger toehold in the culture, it will undermine the basic assumptions of "how one does things." And cheap is already making an inroad...how much it becomes ubiquitous is hard to say. Paris will be the last holdout, but Paris is not France, of course, any more than NYC is the US.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
I think the French have been doing this for years and they didn't have to have a silly name for it.
"Silly name" - Awesome. But in France, clothes are, by default, pretty high quality and closets are, by default, pretty small.

This is what I always hear but not what I saw in France. I travelled during the winter while there were very few tourists and the only store that was crazy busy in every town I visited was Zara.

OP -
For quality I look at fabric more than anything. Rayon pills easily. Cotton is usually pretty sturdy but can stretch out without spandex, etc. I live in a hot climate so I avoid polyester for work clothing.

If you like Everlane silk tops, Equipment is really similar. They cost more but you can often find them on sale. Everlane tees and Madewell tees are also very similar.

Besides the places you already mentioned, I tend to shop at Nordstrom sales and Anthropologie sales a lot. Not everything is high quality so you need to be prudent but I know at these stores if I have any issues they will take the clothes back with no issues. I've heard great things about LL Bean but the clothing doesn't suit my style. Another plus is if you have a discover card Nordstrom often offers 10% cashback in their deals section for online shoppers.