Author Topic: Help with stressful job  (Read 2877 times)

Chairman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help with stressful job
« on: January 14, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »
I have a very high stress job that is killing me. Plan to get out mid-year (only sticking around because the money is too good). My sleep is suffering. I get feelings of near-panic that border on what you could call anxiety attacks. I have so time I could take off but now is a critical time for my team at work, and taking it off will probably only add to my stress. Finding myself wishing for an excuse not to go to work.

Anybody have any tips for getting through the next six months?

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
Re: Help with stressful job
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
What type of job do you do? It is hard to give you advice without a general idea of what is stressing you out

samsonator54321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
You say you plan to get out mid year. So that leads me to believe you have a backup, have enough money to not need a backup, or don’t think you will have any trouble getting another job.  Either way it sounds like you could probably do that now, but are CHOSING to keep working there. I find that thinking of it that way really helps.  I was very stressed at my job then I realized I was choosing to do it. If I really wanted to I could just take a less stressful (and less pay) job and live off a wage that millions of others live off of. I didn’t do that because I’m making a CHOICE to sacfrice the stress for money. Realizing this reduced the stress a great deal.

405programmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:28:52 PM »
Go see a doctor and get anxiety and possibly blood pressure medicine depending on their advice. Also find a new job asap. Jobs should are something challenging that you do to earn money. They shouldn't rule your life to the point that you can't sleep.

Saving money is awesome but your long term health and happiness are WAY more important.

freeree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 11:25:33 AM »
...I get feelings of near-panic that border on what you could call anxiety attacks.

Anybody have any tips for getting through the next six months?

Chairman, I concur with 405programmer about seeing a doctor. While I didn't do any of the following when I suffered from insomnia due to worry and stress, I wished I had: yoga, hiking, taking care of my pets (making a fuss of them, taking the dog for a walk, brushing the cat ...), using essential oils and watching Netflix comedy specials with my son. I hope there's something in your life that can help you de-stress: cooking? running? working-out? reading a good book?

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »
How many hours are you doing?

I have those anxiety bouts too. I need to do *everything* correctly to mitigate this: exercise, long walks, eat healthy, eat enough, not working too much, taking sick days, etc. It feels dangerous as hell.