Author Topic: Help with a windfall for people who aren't good with money  (Read 2211 times)

nara

• Stubble
Help with a windfall for people who aren't good with money
« on: January 09, 2016, 10:40:42 AM »
My husband and I are in our mid-thirties (no children) with an average income of around $100k. A year ago my husband received a large windfall of a couple hundred thousand dollars. We know that we are not the best with money, so we have been really struggling with how to manage this fortune. We currently have no debt aside from a $10k student loan at 1% interest. We did put 50% down on our first home and have a 3.75% interest rate on the remaining 50% (of which we normally pay more towards principle each month). We have a small investment portfolio of around $18k, but we have been maxing out all retirement accounts since last year and plan to do so every year (Roth IRA, SEP-IRA/SIMPLE, and HSA). The remainder of the money is parked in a 2% interest checking account. Our plan is to have enough money set aside each year to max out all retirement accounts. Aside from this, we don't really know what else to do with it. We have seen financial advisers, but are not sold on putting it all in the stock market. We were considering purchasing a rental property, but from what I've read those are not usually good investments unless you are able to buy significantly below market value and fix it up yourself. Just kind of at a loss here and worried that we're not doing the right thing. Any advice?

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Re: Help with a windfall for people who aren't good with money
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
You came to the right place for advice! I am sure many mustachians can add to this, but this is the best "guide" I have come across by far on how to handle a windfall. I hope it helps!

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Managing_a_windfall

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
Thanks, I am familiar with the Bogleheads and the community has been a great resource!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 11:08:58 AM »
In terms of getting comfortable with investing, read the Stock Series:

http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

You don't need an adviser.