Author Topic: How do I clean my oven?  (Read 4730 times)

gbbi_977

• Stubble
How do I clean my oven?
« on: July 01, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
Hello,

As a first time home owner, I'm taking a keener interest in property maintenance...and looking for your advice on best way to clean our oven. It's a gas oven, about 5 years old, and not in bad shape, but I figure an annual clean at least is in order.

Do you use oven specific cleaning products? Is that a thing? Or are soap and water and a good wire brush going to do the trick? Assume I know nothing about cleaning!

Thanks!

mustachianism_is_aredpill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How do I clean my oven?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »
You could try checking the manufacturer's websites for instructions. Especially which cleaning products are bad to use etc.

Doesn't sound like you could go wrong with regular soap and water. Probably a soft brush (nothing abrasive) and nothing containing ammonia?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
I'm not sure how helpful this is. But I buy oven cleaning spray(that I buy from the dollar store) to clean engines. So oven cleaning spray does exist... personally I have had an electric oven(not gas) for many years and have only ever cleaned it once with just soap and water, but whether or not that is sanitary or proper I'm not sure.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 04:49:48 PM »
I'm not sure if you're talking about the inside or top of the oven. But I'm sure someone will find this useful anyway. The top of mine gets crusted with spilled food that bakes on, and it gets gross looking. I tried oven top cleaners, baking soda, vinegar, and it all did a half-assed job. Then my husband was home alone with it one day and when I came home it was spotless - like new. He had taken the steam cleaner to it. All that crap, once he blasted it with steam, wiped right off with no effort.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »
I don't mean to sound glib.  Use oven cleaner.

It's possible with a newish oven it has a self clean mode.  If it does... just turn that on and go.  If not, grab a can of oven cleaner (usually made of lye, but there are less harsh versions out there) and go to town.

As you have gas, the first step is to turn off your pilot light (if you have one).  You don't want to go spraying anything in there when there is an open flame.  Then just follow the directions on the oven cleaner.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 06:36:18 PM »
Either over cleaner (which also works nicely on cooked on gunk on the stove top) or the "self clean" function on the oven. Spray it on, wait a while, put on cleaning gloves, wipe and rinse it off.

expectopatronum

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 06:55:18 PM »
Not sure what part you're talking about, but a baking soda paste (mix and leave on 15-30min) will do wonders for the door!

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 06:58:03 AM »
I've found that, with a new oven, regular wipe overs with water and a cloth (usually the washing up water) is enough. If I make a huge mess with a particular dish I might sprinkle on a little bi-carb and spray a bit of vinegar for a scrub, followed by plenty of rinsing. And when the racks are gross, give them a scrub.

If your oven is in a bad way, buy some oven cleaning spray for a first clean. I've only used this stuff when leaving rental properties - and the oven has always been better when I leave than when I arrived! It will have instructions. I put old newspaper on the floor around the oven. Take out the oven racks, including any side rails (more on that later). Then spray the oven cleaner on the door and inside the oven, following the instructions. Then I come back the next day (following instructions) and clean out all that toxic mess.

For the racks, I fill the laundry sink with enough hot water to cover all the racks, then add in half a litre (1/4 gallon??) of cloudy ammonia. Come back the next day and the gunk scrubs off really nicely. Rinse in clean water and they will be nice and shiny. Then put your oven back together.

Once you have it all nice you can just wipe it out regularly (once it cools down after use. Perhaps get into a habit of wiping it out when washing up).

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 07:10:21 AM »
Baking soda and water, made into a paste and left on overnight. I found that did a great job on an oven in a rental, that clearly hadnt been cleaned in years.

The gunk kind of attached itself to the baking soda and came off.

For the glass panel in the door, I unscrewed it and soaked it in biological washing powder. That and a good scrub sorted it out.

sabertooth3

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 07:28:27 AM »
If you oven has a self-clean feature, please read your owner's manual very carefully. I have a gas range and in the manual it specifically says to not use any kind of cleaning solution/fluid.

Please don't go taking apart your oven and smearing baking soda paste all over it if there's a self-clean. You very well may damage your oven.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!