Author Topic: Help, things to do  (Read 2946 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Help, things to do
« on: November 04, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
Hey,

So I live in the tundra that is Minnesota, and though it is still nice outside (50 degree WHOOO!!!), I will soon be facing the chill.

During the summer I made an active effort to get outside more, and spend less time on the computer/TV. During the winter, though, I fear that might be harder as less happens outside and I don't like to ski or other winter outdoor activities, so I am looking for ideas on what to do with my time.

Right now I do workout a decent amount, though have been lazy for the past few weeks, and read (76 books for 2014 thus far), and I do love cooking, any suggestions for additional activities? I have tried taking up the guitar but can't stick with it.

WESTOFTHEHUDSON

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Help, things to do
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »
knit, volunteer ( there must be opportunities to give time), check out the library as maybe there is a group that meets that peaks your interest (qood carving or language group or genealogy).

If you enjoy cooking, maybe you have a group of friends who'd like to get together for potlucks once a month and everyone bring a new dish.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »
knit, volunteer ( there must be opportunities to give time), check out the library as maybe there is a group that meets that peaks your interest (qood carving or language group or genealogy).

If you enjoy cooking, maybe you have a group of friends who'd like to get together for potlucks once a month and everyone bring a new dish.

Thanks, I do volunteer at least once a month, but I should definitely go more often as it is only a few miles away from me.

For cooking, I actually do have a potluck group for this. Each month we do a different country, last month was Australia, next month is Russia, this month due to a lack of time we are just going to do a sushi making event, it is a lot of fun.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »
Hey! Fellow Minnesotan here. Sounds like you've already got a lot of great hobbies. Here are some things I like to do in the winter (some of them are not the most Mustachian, given that they do cost some money, but they're fairly inexpensive ways to amuse yourself):

--Exchange postcards with people around the world by signing up at www.postcrossing.com

--See some great theater for fairly cheap by going to local high-school shows.  Southwest High School in Mpls, for example, has a great theater program. We saw "Les Miserables" there a few years ago and it was fantastic---I can't imagine enjoying an expensive Broadway production any more than I enjoyed that show.  We saw "The 39 Steps" there last month and it was great too. 

--Winter is a great time to learn to bake.  Warm up your house and try making bread!  Flour isn't that expensive---you can afford to mess up and try again.

--Winter is also a great time to organize your indoor life.  (I can't bear to do it when it's nice outside.)  Pretend like you're moving somewhere smaller and get rid of the extraneous junk in your life.

---I've recently added the NY Times' "Seven Minute Workout" to my exercise regime.  Easy to do inside and something I can convince myself to do even when the couch and/or fuzzy blankie + book + cuddly cat are calling.  It's only 7 minutes, after all.  There's a free app, or you can just google how to do it (I think there are Youtube videos too).

---Learn to dance! There are continuing ed programs for adults that offer swing, latin, and other ballroom dances. Alternatively, there are Youtube videos galore, or you can check out videos from the library, that can teach you how to dance.  Heck, learn hip hop or breakdancing in the privacy of your own home---AMAZE your friends and neighbors next spring when we all stumble out of our houses, blinking confusedly in the unfamiliar sunlight.

---Or, learn a low-impact martial art, like tai chi.  Again, there are videos from the library from which you can learn for free.

--Brush up on whatever language you studied in high school with DuoLingo!

--Also, I'm sure you know this, but: powerwalk through the skyways!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:17:11 PM by lizzie »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!