Author Topic: Help review my pickup for sale  (Read 2589 times)

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
Help review my pickup for sale
« on: January 26, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »
I've been riding my bike to work for more than a year now and decided its time to get rid of the pickup. I've been trying to sell my pickup for 2 months now and have not had a serious offer.  I have been driving it around parking it in high visibility areas on the weekends. I even parked it next to the GMC dealerships used car lot a few times.  I've had plenty of extreme lowball offers (less than 14k isnt a serious offer) and some normal calls but I cant seem to get anyone to look at it.  I've been told its a hard market around the holidays and to just hang in there till people get their tax returns. Was hoping someone has some suggestions to help me get it out of the driveway faster.  New/different pics, text, title, what do you think?  Suggestions? Am I trying to be to greedy? Blue book is $16,500 and NADA is $17,500 so I thought $16,800 was fair.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/4304897537.html

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
Re: Help review my pickup for sale
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
I plugged all your data into KBB, and even working on the assumption that the condition is excellent (meaning no visible wear, micro-scratches, and that it's perfect in every possible way) I came up with a value of $15.8K, not $16.8.  I think you're pricing yourself out of the market on this one.  If you want it to move, you have to expect that people are going to go through the same exercise and conclude that your firm price of $1K over the KBB value isn't worth their time.

I'd drop the price by $3K.

willn

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:43:58 PM »
Yeah, revisit the price.  And use more salesmanship in your ad "Amazing condition, great price" etc.  Check out dealer ads for what they are doing--they do this for a living.

If you get more than one call, schedule the appointment for them to look at it at the same time. Might generate some "gotta get it now as there are lots of willing buyers" type heat.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 09:16:17 PM »
Based on what little research I see, $14,000 would be a reasonable offer. Here's a newer one, wearing a Chevy badge but same basic truck, for $15,000. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=359355188

Some suggestions:
  • Take some photos somewhere more attractive. Too much in the background distracts the eye, and honestly, your garage doors are ugly. So are your neighbors' houses.
  • Consider listing it somewhere more professional than craigslist. That site is great but it isn't where a lot of people would look for a new truck. You might have to spend money to make money on this.
  • The correct phrase is "original owner" not "I bought it new in 2008."
  • Make the first photo in the series the best one, the glamour shot. Probably an angle shot from the front, but whatever makes it look nice, tough, unstoppable. A man's man's truck.
  • Include more info. What radio, for example. nav? Satellite radio? CD changer? I tried to do a trade-in price on AutoTrader and couldn't answer all the questions. Go through a few "what's this car worth" web sites, and make sure there's enough information to answer everything.
  • Has anyone smoked in it? I don't think I'd even look at a car that had been smoked in at all recently. If the answer is no, put that in the ad. if it's yes, don't mention it.
  • Make sure you have it priced right.
    • Look on AutoTrader for asking prices for both your truck and the Chevrolet equivalent (the Colorado?)
    • Find out what Baydo Chevrolet wants for the one they have. Just give them a call. Theirs is a 2009 but close enough - you need to be at least a couple thousand under their price anyway. Dealer + year newer should be a good amount higher than private seller.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:24:45 PM by ritchie70 »