Author Topic: Help-noticing something with my washing machine/clothing  (Read 3504 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Help-noticing something with my washing machine/clothing
« on: October 29, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »
I'm actually in the process right now of rebuilding my entire wardrobe. Doesn't sound too mustachian but I'm hoping in the end it will be. 

I've been donating lots of pieces I don't wear anymore, selling a lot of pieces (made $350 on Ebay last month-yay) and getting rid of almost all prints.  I'm focusing on acquiring items that are solid colors in excellent fits and decent material that will hopefully last a long time.  Right now I'm only buying pieces that are black, white and gray for the winter-the concept being that I should be able to mix and match all of these pieces and not having a ton of "one time wear" outfits or items that don't go together.  I'm hoping as a result I'll eventually have a wardrobe that lasts me longer albeit with less pieces. 

Anyways, I've actually digressed from what I really needed to post about. I noticed with 2 shirts *and* my brand new duvet cover that there are new "blotches" on them that did not exist before.  One of the tops is black, one is gray, and the duvet cover is a very light gray.  Basically, in every case there is a dark blotch that is the same color as the item, just a shade darker.  Just dark enough for me to notice it.

I have seen this happen in the past over the years very rarely but was never aware what had caused it.  To have this occur with 3 items in the past couple of weeks though is very frustrating for me.  I can cover up the black shirt with a huge scarf or wear the gray shirt under a sweatshirt now, but the duvet cover really bothers me as with the light on I see like 3 blotches that the average person may or may not notice but I certainly see them pretty easily. 

I did just move into a new place and am using a new washing maching and dryer.  However nothing else has changed in how I sort my laundry or in the detergent I use.  What is causing this??

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
Re: Help-noticing something with my washing machine/clothing
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »
Sounds like oil. Have you been cooking while wearing the items in question?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:59:41 PM »
Are you using fabric softener?  Sounds like it could be FS that was dispensed without being diluted.  If not, then it sounds like oil/grease stain.  They often get larger and more visible after washing.  I’d suggest pretreating the stains with undiluted liquid detergent and rewashing.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 07:45:11 AM »
Would you say that the blotches look like oil? That would explain darker shades of the original.

I don't know enough about machines to know if the machines could somehow be leaking oil, but another source could be a chapstick that smuggled its way into the dryer - they leave oil-like stains when melted (I've washed all sorts of flotsam).

To test if it's chapstick, you could iron the affected piece with paper between the iron and the item to see it it blots. If it does, then look into how to remove oils and wax from your fabric.

If you're not likely to have washed any lip balms, then I surrender (and admire your laundry skill / attention span).

Hmmm...interesting observation.  I know I have done the chapstick thing before in the past, but not since moving here into the new place so it's not that. 

Thank you for the recommendation though-I am going to look into how to remove oil stains from clothes in case this is the issue.

I am already a bit perturbed by all of this because I just don't want this to continue to happen.  All three pieces were stained during 3 separate washes over a matter of 3 weeks and I really don't want this to happen to anything else.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »

Perhaps while wearing the 2 shirts...?  I don't recall. 

But definitely not cooking in bed! Lol.  Unless there could have been remnants of oil in the washing machine that got onto the duvet cover.....

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 07:47:58 AM »
Are you using fabric softener?  Sounds like it could be FS that was dispensed without being diluted.  If not, then it sounds like oil/grease stain.  They often get larger and more visible after washing.  I’d suggest pretreating the stains with undiluted liquid detergent and rewashing.

Nope...I never use any kind of fabric softener actually.

Thank you for the tip-I will try this with the next round of washing.  I really hope the pieces stained can be treated.  Going forward as I do use a ton of olive oil in the kitchen I will be more cognizant of this.  Perhaps I'll get an apron.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 07:53:05 AM »

But definitely not cooking in bed! Lol.  Unless there could have been remnants of oil in the washing machine that got onto the duvet cover.....

LOL! I was in bed when I read your post and totally missed the part about the duvet cover. Oops! Aside from possible cooking oil, do you use any personal hygiene products that might have an oil base (Coconut, Argan, etc..)? That could explain the splotches on the bed as well. I did have problems with small spots on my clothes and realized it was from cooking so I make sure to use an apron now. :)

Edit: Forgot to add - I treat cooking oil stains with concentrated dish detergent (a very small amount) before regular washing and it seems to work. HTH
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:57:05 AM by Free Spirit »

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 08:05:27 AM »
have you recently switched to a High Efficiency washer?  we've had similar problems went from very occasionally to often.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 09:26:18 AM »

LOL! I was in bed when I read your post and totally missed the part about the duvet cover. Oops! Aside from possible cooking oil, do you use any personal hygiene products that might have an oil base (Coconut, Argan, etc..)? That could explain the splotches on the bed as well. I did have problems with small spots on my clothes and realized it was from cooking so I make sure to use an apron now. :)

Edit: Forgot to add - I treat cooking oil stains with concentrated dish detergent (a very small amount) before regular washing and it seems to work. HTH

OH!

I just recalled something---I BATHE in Neutrogena body oil every time I get out of the shower.  To the point where I have to be careful not to touch any walls or sit on anything until it is *completely* absorbed into my skin.  A few times I have touched the bathroom wall before completely dry and it left a blotch on the wall but it would absorb a few days later.

I wonder if this could be it....?  For the duvet cover maybe I sat on it while my body still had oil on the surface of my skin?  I just didn't think it would be that 'thick' though.  I used to use oil based products in my hair but not lately.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 09:28:59 AM »
have you recently switched to a High Efficiency washer?  we've had similar problems went from very occasionally to often.

Nope...the washer/dryer set in my new place don't say that they're HE....

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »
I tend to get splotches on my shirts from cooking, and there are certain fabrics that just won't. let. go.  Oddly, I read that Murphy's Oil Soap can get it out, and using it rescued one of my shirts. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 01:32:42 PM »
The Neutrogena Body Oil definitely sounds like the culprit.  Try pretreating the stains with either liquid detergent or dishwashing detergent and then washing the items.  The stains should come out but it may take two tries - oil/grease stains are pretty stubborn.