Author Topic: Help: mens formal wear MMM style??  (Read 5245 times)

vwDavid

• Stubble
Help: mens formal wear MMM style??
« on: August 22, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »
Unfortunately I will soon have to attend a funeral. I currently don't (think) I have any suitable attire. Since I am immediate family I would likely have to not dress my usual casual nature. My black suit from high school graduation that I have managed to make last nearly 20 years is just a bit too small for me now.

I don't want to buy a cheap suit. I don't like buying crap. So, I'd rather spend more $ on a better quality suit that would potentially last me another 20-30 years...However, I'd rather not spend that money at all.

Are there any interesting ways to go about this? No I haven't searched craigslist or thrift stores yet- I guess I should. Can I rent a normal suit? Is that a stupid idea?

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
Re: Help: mens formal wear MMM style??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 12:58:04 PM »
Thrift stores - my boyfriend found $300 Zanella slacks for $7.  Lots of suits available, a good tailor can adjust the fit.  My ex-husband bought his wedding tux at a thrift store, it was high quality and lasted the entire 24 years of our marriage.

Marshall's - we bought my boyfriend a new suit there for $80, the tag said original price was $350.  Looks great.  He got his tailor to customize the fit for his broad shoulders.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »
http://putthison.com/post/57036068618/when-you-need-it-now-you-shoulda-got-it-then

Thrifting is a long-shot. You might find a blazer, but probably not a suit. It took me more than a year of consistent thrifting to get a decent suit that fit, and the thrift stores in my area are great. The Portland, OR, Goodwill has a boutique location; maybe there's something like that in your area. Try consignment, too. Ebay is good if you have the time and accurate measurements. I haven't tried Craigslist for suits.

Can you borrow or rent something this time and afterward focus on getting prepared for next time?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 01:12:55 PM »
Many tux rental places also rent regular suits. They'll charge quite a bit considering that you're renting a garment for a single day, but it's way cheaper than paying full price at a department store. Then after the funeral you can look around at thrift stores until you find something in good condition near your size for the next time you need a suit.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 02:03:28 PM »
You would have to be very lucky thrifting to store a full, high quality suit in the right size (or close enough to tailor). 

My husband has a couple suits from eBay.  If you have your measurements and know exactly what you're looking for you can find good deals there.

vwDavid

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »
Yep, probably should have started earlier...but at those times there were always a lot more important things to do and ways to save money. So its like a catch 22 if you know what I mean.

I see something on craigslist that might be appropriate so I might have to check that out.

Thanks for the tips so far. Fashion isn't my high point.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss.

I totally understand wanting to buy quality, but it sounds like you almost never wear this kind of thing, so it does seem kind of silly. You don't really need to buy something that will last forever if you only wear it once every 7 years. 

I'd check a thrift store or men's consignment store for pants (and of course a blazer if you happen to find one that fits) and then work on a sport coat at a discount store of some kind. 

Are you sure you need a blazer at all?  Depending on where you are (and possibly your relationship to the deceased), nice dress pants and a shirt and tie might be sufficient. 

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
We bought my husband a black jacket from Kohl's as a last-minute thing when his grandfather died. However, since he only wears it to funerals and viewings, it's in fabulous shape and hasn't yet needed cleaning. With a pair of black pants, a white shirt, and a nice tie, he always looks appropriate.

I would bet you can find a nice black jacket at a Kohl's or a Burlington Coat Factory for around $75, maybe up to $100. Yes, it sucks to pay that much for something you're not going to need a lot of the time, but I really think that this is one of those situations where you need to be appropriate, particularly if the deceased is part of your immediate family.

Let this be advice to all the Mustachians out there - get yourself a nice black outfit to wear to a funeral and put it in your closet so you have it. Every time you wear it, before you put it away, make sure it's in good working order for next time. If you have a long lead time before you need something like that, you can look for cheap options, but whatever you do, do something. A blogger friend of mine calls this the "Garment Bag of Death," and while that's a little morbid, it gives me personal peace of mind to know that all my stuff is ready to go in case of tragedy.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
Let this be advice to all the Mustachians out there - get yourself a nice black outfit to wear to a funeral and put it in your closet so you have it.

Might I suggest dark grey instead of black?

http://putthison.com/post/1205036805/q-and-answer-whats-wrong-with-a-black-suit

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »
For the price of a tux rental, I bought a used suit at a "Gentlemen's Consignment" store. Fits perfectly, didn't even need to take it for alteration.

There were also a nice pair of dress shoes that fit me so I got upsold on those. Pricey at $50 (used) but they were something I'd never buy new (made in Italy with real leather soles, what?!) and I'll own em for the rest of my life, since unlike my waist size, my foot size probably won't change much as I age. (Hopefully?)

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »
+1 on the gentleman's consignment store. We got my partner's suit at one for a really reasonable price, but much higher quality (and less, uh, old looking) than what we found at thrift stores. Not saying you won't luck out at a thrift store, but if time crunched I'd go consignment for sure.