Author Topic: Help me use a bottle of artisanal gin  (Read 5463 times)

MBot

• Pencil Stache
Help me use a bottle of artisanal gin
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »
I like gin-based drinks, and a friend got me a lovely bottle from a maker in Maine.

However, based on a couple self-challenges/decisions I won't be drinking for the foreseeable future.

What else can I use gin for/in? I have almost a litre.  I heard one can make vanilla extract or other extracts, perhaps.  What else could I use it up for?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Help me use a bottle of artisanal gin
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »
Give it to a friend who drinks gin. Using good gin in anything but drinks is pretty much a waste.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »
How long until the teetotaling comes to an end?  Unless you're talking decades, I'd just save it for that time.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »
Unfortunately, no one I know here drinks gin. I would rather use it than have it sit on a shelf (attempting to live somewhat minimally here). It will be a few years I'm sure till I drink again.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »
Seriously?? It's summer, dude! if you are not going to drink it yourself, give it to someone who will.  Make a homemade lemon/lime-ade (1 c sugar boiled with one cup water, add 1/2 cup lemon and lime juice), put in two tablespoons of that, one shot of gin, muddle in some peppermint from the backyard, add seltzer to fill the glass --- voila! It's summer, dude, like I said.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »
Hey, that's just mean for someone who's going without. Trust me, I know/love all the gin-based drinks ;) I don't need any more convincing that they're delicious. Fresh gimlets with homemade lime/simple syrup? Tom Collins? Salty Dog? Oh man. There's even some mean Earl Gray and blood orange ones.

So I really need an option for getting it out of my house when no one I know will drink it and I don't want to waste it.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:30:22 PM »
Do you or anyone you know make jams?  I frequently use booze to jazz up jam.  fig with amaretto, fig with ouzo (the best!) apricot/peach with any orange flavored liquor etc.  Gin might be good with figs, but then I really like figs.  Admittedly, I don't use super expensive booze in these recipes.

Or you could just mail it to me.  Address available upon request.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 05:46:48 PM »
Yes, mary w beat me to the punch line.... just mail it to me! (Sorry, didn't mean to be mean.)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »
You could also use it to make your own tinctures. Nettle is a really simple one that is good for pretty much everyone.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:49:35 PM »
Do you or anyone you know make jams?  I frequently use booze to jazz up jam.  fig with amaretto, fig with ouzo (the best!) apricot/peach with any orange flavored liquor etc.  Gin might be good with figs, but then I really like figs.  Admittedly, I don't use super expensive booze in these recipes.

Boozy jam is awesome. Gin goes nicely with, say, strawberry rhubarb.

It kind of depends on the particular gin flavor profile, but it could work in reductions or pan sauces when cooking meats. Probably not red meat, but maybe a good pork steak or chop? I could see that.

You could use it, after boiling the booze off, as a dressing for a fruit salad?

But if it's good gin, I'd save it for the future or find someone who will appreciate it.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:40:08 PM »
I find it hard to believe that no one you know likes gin (well, actually, it is kind of believable... gin is nasty). Have you actually asked?

how much trouble could you get in for selling it on CL?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!