Author Topic: Help me spend $500  (Read 2132 times)

fidgery

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help me spend $500
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:24:49 PM »
Hi everybody! I recently got a new credit card for travelhacking purposes, but I haven't had enough major expenses in the past three months to hit the spending limit and get my miles. I do not have a car and can't use credit on my rent payments. So, what can I purchase now for ~$500 that will continue to be a good investment down the road?  (Are you allowed to use a credit card to make actual investments in stock? I doubt it...)

Thanks all!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Help me spend $500
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:25:38 PM »
You could buy an Amazon gift card.

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »
Pre-pay something you'll already be spending on; otherwise you "free" trip just ends up costing a bunch because you wasted your money on something you didn't need.

My best bets in the past have been to buy a grocery store gift card or to pre-pay charitable contributions I'll be making later in the year.

And I sincerely hope it goes without saying that unless you'll be paying the whole thing off as soon as the bill arrives, you have no business spending any of it, no matter what "rewards" you might get out of the deal.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:23:30 AM »
Gift card for the grocery store you shop at?  My local Aldi's does these for no extra fee, and if I had to meet a cc spend that's what I would do. 

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 07:26:59 AM »
You could buy an Amazon gift card.

This is what I would do, but I routinely buy from Amazon so I know it would be spent anyway.

MrGville

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »
I agree with the grocery store gift card.  I'm actually in the same boat with needing to spend a little more than usual to get a credit card bonus, and i'm going to buy a Publix gift card.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 01:18:50 PM »
I had the luxury of friends/roommates, where we used our purchases on one card if someone was in your situation and pay them our share. We just dont look on our cashback things for that month and help the other person.

But it wont work for everyone (even myself now). I used to pay the auto insurance for full, but you dont have that luck.
other options: prepay utilities, buy grocery -non perishable (like paper towels/liquids, target often has deals) or store card, Amazon, ebay gift card (i would suggest to buy some on small $, if incase you are going to gift someone) or even buy gold online and sell it (you can do online without ever getting a physical-only if you need larger amount)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »
Prepay utilities, prepay insurance, buy a gift card, or just stock up in bulk on something that makes sense (or a few things).