Author Topic: Help me set up a guest bedroom!  (Read 15210 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Help me set up a guest bedroom!
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »
I would love people's tips, tricks, and experience with guest rooms. What is a must have? What do you wish you had known in the "acquire stuff" phase?

So far in our guest room we have... drumroll please... a bed. With sheets. And an old dresser. End list. Help me fill it out!

Tentative "to buy" list:
Waste basket
Side table
Bedside lamp
Hangars for the closet
Dog bed

There is also a guest bathroom, which I have towels/washcloths/hand towels for so far.
Bathroom to buy:
Toiletries-
Shampoo and conditioner
Soap

Luckily our family and friends who have stayed so far have been very sweet and perfectly happy with just the bed, but I would prefer to give a better guest experience! Especially since we'll be a full house for the holidays.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Help me set up a guest bedroom!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 09:08:15 AM »
My advice would be to sleep in the bed yourself, or at least take a nap in it. Then look around. My advice for the side table would be a desk or writing table plus chair, so that someone has a place to sit other than the bed. Many people like to check emails at a desk rather than a bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 09:11:31 AM »
i keep almost the same list you have below in my guest bed/bath plus:

Extra blanket
Phone charger
Books (that can be taken or exchanged)
Asprin/pain relievers
Bandaids and neosporin
Cheap, new toothbrush (in package)

I also keep things that are left behind (pull ups and baby wipes got added to the bathroom) and tend to dump samples of lotion or shampoo like stuff in that bathroom.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 09:12:52 AM »
My advice would be to sleep in the bed yourself, or at least take a nap in it. Then look around. My advice for the side table would be a desk or writing table plus chair, so that someone has a place to sit other than the bed. Many people like to check emails at a desk rather than a bed.

Adding that my guest bed has three different kinds of pillows on it because nothing is worse than sleeping on a down pillow that flattens into a pancake when you're used to a firm one.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 09:13:34 AM »
The one thing I've missed when we've stayed in guest rooms as a couple is a little lamp on both sides of the bed. That way, whichever of us is up later can find our way to the bed in a strange place and turn off the light to sleep without climbing over sleeping partner to reach a lamp. Just an overhead is bad because it leaves one person turning of the light in a strange room and then trying to navigate in the dark. Maybe not such an issue in urban areas if there's light filtering in from outside, but it's a real problem in truly dark places.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 09:17:05 AM »
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for you guys, thank you! The phone charger thing is an excellent point, and luckily most of my family use the same types of phone. Perfect. Adding to my list...

And rural- I have had the overhead light experience! Not fun. And yes, dark in the room since there's blinds and drapes.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 09:17:52 AM »
Two twin beds can be a lot more useful than a single queen for a guest bedroom.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 09:18:55 AM »
Two twin beds can be a lot more useful than a single queen for a guest bedroom.

Definitely not big enough =\ It's a little tight feeling even with a full size bed.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 09:38:35 AM »
You could always post a floorplan!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »
My dear husband now thinks I'm a touch insane ("why are you measuring the guest room...?" "well, for the internet" "uh... okay. Need me to hold the other end?" He's a good man)

My art skills notwithstanding, here's my best attempt. The window is low enough that we can't put the bed on that wall, as the sill sticks out at the pillow height of the bed. Also, it would block the register (little shaded rectangle).

The dresser is fairly large, but it's a family heirloom. Plus it was free. Also the bed was from family and free. =P

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 10:05:58 AM »
We added a USB charging power strip to the side table. One of our more frequent guests (cat sitter) uses a cpap, and the first time she brought it, she had to fish around behind the bed for a place to plug it. Plus USB charging outlets are very useful.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 10:07:38 AM »
Tons of great ideas!  I would add toothpaste and sunscreen (if appropriate to your locale).  Possibly some tampons.  A couple cups -- whether they choose to use them while cleaning up at the sink or for overnight bedside water.  Sufficient table-top space (i.e. don't clutter up the bureau with knick-knacks).  Does your guest bath have towel bars or hooks that provide enough space for your guests to hang their towels to dry after use?  Wastebasket in the bathroom is more important than wastebasket in the bedroom.  Oh, I guess a plunger, just in case, so they don't have to be embarrassed about asking you?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
A clock (so they don't have to look at their phone's bright screen in the middle of the night).  A hairdryer.  This is probably overkill, but one friend I visited had a white noise machine in the guest room.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 10:19:52 AM »
Kleenex.

Can you turn the dresser sideways and put it on the wall with the bed to make the aisle on the left seem wider? Or would that push the bed too far to the right?

Funny how this is the same setup as our guest room, except our vent is in the ceiling instead of the floor.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:22:15 AM by geekette »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
Kleenex.

Can you turn the dresser sideways and put it on the wall with the bed to make the aisle on the left seem wider? Or would that push the bed too far to the right?

Funny how this is the same setup as our guest room, except our vent is in the ceiling instead of the floor.

It would be way too close on the right side for a bed side table then, and it wouldn't line up with outlets- right now there are two, one on each side of the head of the bed. Then one outlet by the door, on the closet wall. That's all in the room.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 10:29:08 AM »
I actually like your layout.  I'd just add the nightstand at the bottom right corner at a minimum, and another bedside table on the other side if spacially reasonable.  The bed can be pushed as close to the window wall as reasonable so that a person can get into bed and make the bed from that side (and fit the new nightstand table).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »
I actually like your layout.  I'd just add the nightstand at the bottom right corner at a minimum, and another bedside table on the other side if spacially reasonable.  The bed can be pushed as close to the window wall as reasonable so that a person can get into bed and make the bed from that side (and fit the new nightstand table).

I'm glad I'm not missing something obvious on the layout. With all the doors and the window, I really couldn't figure out another sensible option for the room. And I do like having a full from the sheets perspective- our bed is a full as well, so this way all the sheets are universal.

I think night stands are a big next step, but I haven't been able to source them inexpensively. Anyone have any tips for this? Seems like I'll be out a minimum of $50 per stand. =\

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 11:24:17 AM »
I use two short bookcases on either side of the bed that I got at target for 40 each. I keep a folded blanket on the bottom shelf, a few books on the top shelves, and a lamp on the top. That leaves plenty of room for guests to store their things on the top or top shelf. It's pretty convenient.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
What about this, using the window and curtains as a kind of headboard?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 11:35:51 AM »
What about this, using the window and curtains as a kind of headboard?

I think if you're going to change the layout like that, then you need an actual headboard.  It's really irritating to have nothing to lean against when you want to sit up in bed or read.

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 11:58:05 AM »
Will the dresser fit in the closet?  You keep your family heirloom and it's storage capabilities, and your guests have more space to move about the room.

I never unpack my suitcase when visiting, apart from hanging a dress if it's a special occasion (am I the only one?)  For your guests a foldable luggage rack might be more useful than a dresser.

Just a thought - I am on the search for a luggage rack or two for our guest room/office for just this reason...

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 01:47:58 PM »
When looking for bedside tables look for something that will give you extra storage.   Mine are some wooden cubes with a lid.  I store linens for the guest room in one.  The other has sewing supplies (unrelated to guests).

Roadsidetreasurehunter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »
A nightlight for the bathroom might be a good idea. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »
+1 on can you get rid of the dresser. I never unpack anything when I'm staying with people. A row of hooks on the wall with some nice coathangers would be much more useful than a huge dresser. I often want to hang up a smart outfit I've brought with me to get the creases out. Bonus points if you replace the dresser with a chair or stool so people can either sit on it or store their suitcase on it so they don't have to bend over all the time.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 02:29:10 PM »
I have been deeply appreciative of my friends who have a bathrobe for guests. Something size L or XL or whatever. If I am chilly or need to put someth No on after a shower a robe is very handy. Same with a spare pair of slippers.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 05:12:17 PM »
A clock (so they don't have to look at their phone's bright screen in the middle of the night).  A hairdryer.  This is probably overkill, but one friend I visited had a white noise machine in the guest room.

+1 on the clock. I like to leave my phone out of the room entirely when I sleep, and noticed the lack of clock when I gave my guest room a test drive and realized I had no idea what time it was when I woke up.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 05:22:23 PM »
pbk- can't do that since the sill is low and right where your head is and there's no headboard on the bed frame. I'm in the "read and lean" camp so I can't fathom doing that to someone else =P

Sandy + shelives- I will have to try the dresser in the closet. I think it'll be too deep, but I'll see. I love the chair suggestion. Need to think this over and figure out a solution. The dresser looks great stylistically, but if it interferes functionally that's obviously a problem.

Roadside- good point on the nightlight. Luckily our nest smoke detector is right outside the door and lights automatically when people walk under it at night. Love that thing.

LeRain + seattlecyclone- re: the clock. I hate having backlit clocks at night. Am I alone in this? Does something like this work:

Like, would you be annoyed having to turn on a side lamp to see the time?

MsPeacock- I do like the robe suggestion, that's a good idea.

Okay, shopping list:
waste basket
chair(s)
bed side table
bedside clock
robe and slippers
a firm pillow (already have a bunch of soft ones)
phone charger
hangers
kleenex
cups
place to hang towel inside guest room (hook? in closet?)
flash light
Mount mirror on back of door
Ring holder
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:43:56 PM by Bracken_Joy »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 05:37:04 PM »
We didn't have a headboard on our guest bed for the longest time, and the pillows were always falling down between the wall and the bed.  I finally got a piece of MDF (cut to size at Lowe's), covered it with batting, stapled on a comforter we no longer used, and made a padded headboard.  It hangs very sturdily right on the wall with a French cleat.  Pic

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 05:41:39 PM »
We didn't have a headboard on our guest bed for the longest time, and the pillows were always falling down between the wall and the bed.  I finally got a piece of MDF (cut to size at Lowe's), covered it with batting, stapled on a comforter we no longer used, and made a padded headboard.  It hangs very sturdily right on the wall with a French cleat.  Pic

That's a very clever idea. I like it. I'll put that in the book for a long-term improvement.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »
LeRain + seattlecyclone- re: the clock. I hate having backlit clocks at night. Am I alone in this? Does something like this work:

I think that's perfect!  Agree with you that I wouldn't want the time bright and glowing at me all night.  The style you've suggested is still visible if there is any bit of ambient light in the room anyway, and it looks pretty in the daytime, too.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 06:05:17 PM »
Whether to have an illuminated clock seems like mostly a personal preference thing. My parents' guest room has one with bright green numbers that I have to cover up because it disrupts my sleep. However in my own bedroom we have one with red LED numbers that doesn't affect my sleep at all. It's nice to be able to just glance in that direction and see what time it is. But really...I can live without knowing what time it is when it's still dark out. It's when I wake up to sunlight that I want to know if the sun just came up and I should try to sleep more, or if it's time to get out of bed. So for that purpose, the non-illuminated clock is just fine.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 06:13:10 PM »
Hooks & more hooks.

Also an ottoman or "coffee" table a suite case can be placed on.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 06:58:09 PM »
Whether to have an illuminated clock seems like mostly a personal preference thing. My parents' guest room has one with bright green numbers that I have to cover up because it disrupts my sleep. However in my own bedroom we have one with red LED numbers that doesn't affect my sleep at all. It's nice to be able to just glance in that direction and see what time it is. But really...I can live without knowing what time it is when it's still dark out. It's when I wake up to sunlight that I want to know if the sun just came up and I should try to sleep more, or if it's time to get out of bed. So for that purpose, the non-illuminated clock is just fine.

I put my clock face down at night. It works well, I just have to turn it over to see what time it is if I want to check the time :)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2016, 08:12:26 PM »
Could you put a full length mirror on the back of the door?  Bathroom mirrors only give waist up views at best, and it's nice to have a full mirror when getting ready to go out.

I save all the shampoo/soap/lotion samples I get in the mail and from hotels, and the sample toothpaste/floss/toothbrushes from the dentist.  Everything goes on a pretty tray.  Also a few granola bars (or anything else you might know your guest like) - sometimes they want a snack, but don't want to bother anyone later at night or early in the morning.  I leave a small flashlight in the room too, just in case of power failures. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2016, 08:22:18 PM »
I leave a small flashlight in the room too, just in case of power failures.

Oh, yes!  This is genius!  I visited my cousins and they did the same.  It was the first time I'd seen that, and it really came in handy.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2016, 08:38:37 PM »
Good reccs! Added to the list =) Love the flashlight suggestion. I actually have a full length mirror, need to put that it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2016, 08:52:57 PM »
In lieu of a bedside table, I have become addicted to the boxy closetmaid organizers they have at Fred Meyer -- they are similar to the Kallax/Expidit units they have at Ikea with the varying numbers of boxes small to very large.  I have bought several of the 6-box units.  One is in my bedroom serving as my bedside table - see attached picture.  You can buy cloth drawers to insert into them, which comes in really handy for hiding things away. 

They are on sale for a good price at FM this week -- $30 for the 6-box unit.  Inserts are buy one get one free.  And there is an extra coupon for getting a $10 gift card if you spend over $50 total on organizing stuff.

Excellent tip! I'll be near one tomorrow, and have a coupon from my move! Perfect, that may be what we go for.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2016, 11:07:29 PM »
Ok,  what is really needed is a bed. clean sheets. pillow. door.

Next,

I really disliked staying in my SIL's house.  The guest bed did not allow two people to put their feet down on each side  (bed against a wall).   AND, the under bed, every drawer and entire closet were jammed to the gills with the home owners stuff.  So, no room for the suitcase, except on the bed with us, or closed and standing upright.

Have space in the dresser and closet for a minimum of guest things, space for suitcase / bag... next...

Mirror in the room.
Bedside table and lamp (just one side is ok, but two is bonus).
I like a clock radio, but with phones these days, not required.
Window coverings.

Bathroom -- Towel, 
I also keep a packaged new toothbrush, a bathrobe (as I don't want to see the guests in their roo's.) and have shampoo / soap etc that they can access in the bathroom.

Hook on the back of the door is nice for purse, coat or anything, really.

------------
Luxury -- rug on floor if cold floors in morning,  your charger idea is great.
Washcloth
Multiple pillows

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2016, 11:59:40 PM »
Extra, visible toilet paper
Curtains/blinds that effectively darken the room
Maybe a printout of house rules?  "No flushing the toilet after everyone goes to bed, as our pipes rattle; please let it sit until morning.  Coffee is kept in the cabinet over the dishwasher.  Most of the household is up by eight, so if you haven't joined us by 8:30 then you're missing bacon and eggs and will just get cold cereal.  Don't strip your bed."

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2016, 01:02:30 AM »
  Don't strip your bed."

Okay -- why is this a thing with some people (to not have guest help tidy room a bit before they leave?)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2016, 02:10:29 AM »
  Don't strip your bed."

Okay -- why is this a thing with some people (to not have guest help tidy room a bit before they leave?)

My mother taught me not to wash the bedsheets when the guest leaves, but rather just before the next one arrives. It saves washing twice for the nicest welcome for the next guest. They don't have guests very often and it saves the "fresh" bedsheets getting musty. They also have two cats, so would otherwise have to wash just before the next guest arrives anyway to deal with the cattiness.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 04:11:27 AM »

X2 on having several different types of pillows -- that is important.   

Sometimes a small fan is really nice in a guest room, especially if there is no overhead fan

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2016, 04:17:57 AM »
If the dresser is too deep to fit inside the closet, you could always take the doors off. Now, that might be beyond the remit of "help me set up a simple guest room with the things I have available", but it's a possibility :)

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 04:53:07 AM »
We have frequent overnight guests. This is what I have in the guest bedroom
2 night stands
Powerstrip on one of the nightstands
Box of tissues
Toothbrush and toothpaste (the small travel ones)
Towel and wash cloth
Suitcase holder (one of those folding ones)
2 small lamps
Clock
Hook on back of door for towel
Night light in hall bathroom
Night light in the hallway
Random phone chargers
Extra hangers in closet

I also leave out coffe/tea supplies out the night before so they can make a drink in the morning if I am not awake.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2016, 06:41:39 AM »
My mother puts a small basket of snacks in the guest room. Nuts, granola bars, chips, etc. People love it - especially the folks that don't feel comfortable rummaging through your kitchen.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »
Wifi password - my friend has it in a pretty frame on the side table. But just written somewhere in a drawer would be fine too

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »
WTF? Is this the MMM forum, or did I somehow get redirected to some kind of antimustachian interior decorating website?

If you have a guest room, your house is too big!

; )

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »
WTF? Is this the MMM forum, or did I somehow get redirected to some kind of antimustachian interior decorating website?

If you have a guest room, your house is too big!

; )

Ahhh, but it *is* very mustachian for us. If we can host, we don't have to travel the 1,100 miles to see my family every year around the holidays. Or spend absurd amounts of money to fill the emptiness of friends not visiting from our former city because we haven't had a chance to make close friends here yet.

Plus, before too long, screaming miniature humans should supplant most guests.

Anyway, cultivating your tribe http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/08/19/urban-tribe/ is a key tenant, and building community http://chrisguillebeau.com/mr-money-mustache-wds/. The problem with guest rooms is if they're empty all the time. Whereas I'm having to keep a separate calendar for our guest room bookings.

ETA: and so far, the only spending I've done has been $8 on discount art for the room and $6 on pillows. The bed, mattress, linens, dresser, area rug, curtains, and curtain rod we got all for free.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2016, 08:57:57 AM »
All of the above. If you have hard surface floors,  a small throw rug on either side of the bed, plus one in the bathroom.

P.S. For guests like Jack, you can just pitch a tent in the back yard ;-)

Whoops, our posts crossed, so I didn't see "area rug". Just the bathroom then.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:01:06 AM by Diane C »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »
Jack will bring his own tent, of course.

Re the clock, red doesn't affect the night vision or reset circadian rhythms, so it is OK in a bedroom.  Guests can always aim the clock away from the bed if it bothers them.  Blue is the worst colour, green is in between.

Space to unpack depends on how long the guests are staying. If I am only in a place for a few days I will hang what needs hanging and live out of my suitcase.  But for a week I unpack fully.