Author Topic: Help me replace my cell phone... iPhone? MotoG?  (Read 4806 times)

rebecuna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help me replace my cell phone... iPhone? MotoG?
« on: December 13, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »
I have been researching and trying to figure this out for a couple months now, since my current iPhone 4 (that was given to me when someone upgraded) has gotten glitchy. I've been using it with Page Plus and have been really happy. My husband uses Republic Wireless and likes that, but spends most of his phone time in buildings connected to their internet, where I use most of mine driving around or hiking in the woods. Republic has a warning for our zip code that coverage might not be good.

I am so annoyed and overwhelmed with how hard this is. I just want someone to tell me what to do and how (clearly) to do it. I wish there was a cell phone concierge that could just do it all for me. I would pay money for that. <end of rant>

I would like to get an iPhone 5, and use a carrier that works as well as Page Plus for no more than $30/mo. I am willing to switch to Republic and get their MotoG ($180) if what I'm hoping for with an iPhone is impossible. I'm probably not interested in any other phone because I hate learning how to use new phones. I also have an AT&T 4s that someone gave me, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it-- but the phone would be free if there's a good option for a provider to use for that.

There is a Groupon for refurbished iPhones right now, with an iPhone 5 with 16GB for $300 (or 32 for $319) that says "for Verizon and other carriers" with this list specifying the other carriers:
    Affinity Cellular
    BYO Wireless
    NET10 Wireless
    Page Plus Cellular
    Ready Mobile
    Red Pocket Mobile
    Selectel Wireless
    Straight Talk
    TracFone

Another Groupon listing for similar iPhones says "unlocked for all GSM carriers, including T-moblie and AT&T".

Will either of these work with Page Plus or a similar provider? I don't mind using a phone not supported by Page Plus as long as it's likely to be able to be activated. I know Verizon works best around here. I need about 1000 min/1000 text/500MB data. I don't understand a lot of the technical terms around this stuff, like jailbroken and unlocked, so please go easy on me in your responses :)

TIA
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:01:46 AM by rebecuna »

Shade00

• Stubble
Re: Help me replace my cell phone... iPhone? MotoG?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »
You can use a Verizon iPhone 5 on Page Plus without any issue. You will likely need to obtain an LTE SIM card - these can be had for a few bucks off Ebay. You'll need a nano SIM. Then it's just a matter of doing a swap through Page Plus support. Note that using LTE through Page Plus, you can only use the $29.95 plans and higher.

You can also buy discounted PINs - there is a dealer on Howardforums who sells them at a 10% discount, bringing the $29.95 PIN down to $26.xx. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
A lot of people like Ting--we have it--and you can use a Sprint-compatible iPhone 5 with Ting, should you come across a good deal on that kind.

Jailbroken mean someone has screwed around with the phone. Stay far away. Unlocked just means that the phone is not locked into a contract with a particular carrier, although different technology means that it will only work with certain ones.

So there is no reason why you can't use an iPhone 5 on a discount carrier!

tracylayton

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 09:29:29 PM »
I have the Moto G thru Republic Wireless and love it. I was afraid to spend the money, so I set my son up with Republic first. We are both happy and love the money we're saving. Does your husband have any trouble when he's out of Wifi range?

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
Jailbroken mean someone has screwed around with the phone. Stay far away.

Um, you just have to restore the phone to undo the jailbreak. No reason to stay far away.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »
I am so annoyed and overwhelmed with how hard this is. I just want someone to tell me what to do and how (clearly) to do it. I wish there was a cell phone concierge that could just do it all for me. I would pay money for that. <end of rant>

Have you tried the guide yet?

rebecuna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:38:44 PM »
You can use a Verizon iPhone 5 on Page Plus without any issue. You will likely need to obtain an LTE SIM card - these can be had for a few bucks off Ebay. You'll need a nano SIM. Then it's just a matter of doing a swap through Page Plus support. Note that using LTE through Page Plus, you can only use the $29.95 plans and higher.

You can also buy discounted PINs - there is a dealer on Howardforums who sells them at a 10% discount, bringing the $29.95 PIN down to $26.xx.
Thanks, that's encouraging. What's a PIN?

rebecuna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 10:39:40 PM »
I have the Moto G thru Republic Wireless and love it. I was afraid to spend the money, so I set my son up with Republic first. We are both happy and love the money we're saving. Does your husband have any trouble when he's out of Wifi range?
He hasn't had trouble with it, but he very rarely uses it out of wifi range. I definitely will.

rebecuna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »

Have you tried the guide yet?
No, somehow I've missed that! I've read lots of your posts on here, and will definitely check this out! Thanks.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 05:48:36 AM »
I just purchased a Nokia Lumia 625 for $99 and love it.  It's a windows phone, but my teen-an iPhone devotee--said "it's just like an iPhone!  Not quite, the camera is not as good, but the sound quality seems better. I use it with Tmobile no-contract, text, talk and data all unlimited for $40/month.

rebecuna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »
Based on reading the Guide that Daley posted, I think it makes the most sense to go with the free AT&T iPhone 4s that my friend gave me, and switch from PagePlus to Airvoice Wireless. Cost will be $30/mo still and I'll have a phone that works for no money. Thanks for the help!