Author Topic: Help me pick a phone for retirement  (Read 4332 times)

Gyosho

• Stubble
Help me pick a phone for retirement
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:05:29 AM »
I'm planning on retiring in 2017. My job has required me to be on the monthly on-call rotation ever since 2011, and I am looking forward to becoming free from those 2 am wake-up emergencies.

Somewhat paradoxically, the only phone I have needed for the past 5 years is a truly badass Motorola V195S with a prepaid plan from T-Mobile. Since I have been so tied to my job I am usually close to home/home phone and computer and have not needed a fancy phone.

Now that I am retiring I am hoping to travel more and need a phone that is up to the task. Here is my list so far:

5 mp pixel (at least!) camera
use wireless when available
gps
phone/text/web/email

Can anyone think of anything else needed on a phone that will be used primarily for travel? I am OS agnostic (but would balk at paying $600 for an iPhone). I am hoping there is a phone under $100 that is the phone for me.

Thanks.

Gyosho

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
Re: Help me pick a phone for retirement
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 08:31:33 AM »
If you plan on traveling internationally I would recommend getting a phone that works on the various global wireless networks.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 08:37:13 AM »
Go for the Google FI. As long as you withing WiFi, all calls and data go thru WiFi.
Else it uses T-Mobile or Sprint.

Works outside the US (same cost data as in the US, making calls will cost you.).

I have had it for 3 months and after the initial learning hump (moving from iPhone) I like it a lot.
If you use google products (gmail, drive, maps etc) android is better for you than an iPhone.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:16:45 AM »
We've gotten to the point where there should be plenty of new Android phones that can be had around that price point.  My HTC Desire 626s was $129 a few months back.  Nearly any phone will do the job you want these days.  Windows Phones are also priced very competitively right now if you're willing to give that a shot (I have no experience with them).

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »
Nokia Lumia 635, specifically the AT&T RM-975 variant. Dirt cheap even purchased carrier unlocked, but you have to be careful who you buy from. (The locked AT&T GoPhone model sells for as little as $30.) User replaceable battery, less terrible UI for a smartphone OS than Android or iOS, secure, well supported for software updates from Microsoft, (unconfirmed but credible) UMA/IMS WiFi calling support - same approach that GoogleFi is using.

kd2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »
Nokia Lumia 635, specifically the AT&T RM-975 variant. Dirt cheap even purchased carrier unlocked, but you have to be careful who you buy from. (The locked AT&T GoPhone model sells for as little as $30.) User replaceable battery, less terrible UI for a smartphone OS than Android or iOS, secure, well supported for software updates from Microsoft, (unconfirmed but credible) UMA/IMS WiFi calling support - same approach that GoogleFi is using.

I concur! It is really an excellent phone for its price. I have the RM-975 variant. The call quality is actually better than the $900 iGizmos and $500 Ndroids.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:05:34 AM by kd2008 »

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »
I'm a fan of the older Moto G, around $150, truly a budget fancypants smartphone. It's even water resistant!
the new ones are even fancier, $180
http://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g#durability

The Windows phones are mostly kickass Nokias, as little as $50 through Amazon.

All will run GPS, etc. Have fun!

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 10:30:58 AM »
Son #1 recently picked up a new 'long-term phone', and his strategy is worth repeating:
1) He looked for cheap iPhones (previous year's model) with BROKEN GLASS - we live near a repair place that will replace the glass & battery for $50.  He didn't end up getting an iPhone this way, but he found some interesting <$200 deals.
2) He reached out via Social Media, housemates, and workmates - through this, he was *given* a previous-year-model LG phone - FREE.  He said, "If I didn't like it, I would sell it on CraigsList."

He felt constrained with the $10 pre-paid Airvoice plan I had him on, so he expanded it to a $30/mth unlimited calling/1GB data plan.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 05:48:14 PM »
Can anyone think of anything else needed on a phone that will be used primarily for travel?
Small size so it will fit securely in your pocket /be difficult to pickpocket.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »
I recently got a BLU phone. They're sold carrier-unlocked at Amazon, often for $100 or less. The one I have is very capable. Check them out.

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 07:29:51 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. My initial research pointed to the Nokia Lumia 635, so I'm glad to see it confirmed by the expert I.P. Daley.

I'll have to check out the BLU phone.

Does anyone know of any good phones coming out in 2016?

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 07:40:44 AM »
I'm a big fan of iPhones but I'm not a fan of how much they charge. So what I did was buy when everyone else is upgrading. Now with the 6S the iPhone 5 (4 is too old) has now dropped down a tier. For my iphone 5 bought a year earlier price 330€ a year later bought one for the wife 200€ while the 5S went for 330€. The same principle will apply in dollars.

I did notice Apple holds it value way more than android so if you're not picky you could pick a much newer andriod for a good price

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!