Author Topic: Help me out, please.. Budget  (Read 12472 times)

navystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help me out, please.. Budget
« on: April 30, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »
I am 24. Family of 4, I am only one working.
Monthly Income: 3472
Savings: 14,000
401k(TSP): 3500

Expenses
PTI: 1100
Auto Payment: 330 (16,000) 2012 Sonata 1.25%
Groceries: 533
Misc. spending: 365
Car insurance: 97
Cell phones: 40
Internet: 70
Home alarm: 40
All utilities: 265
Gas: 150
Restaurants: 0
Credit cards: 0

I am slowly making changes to grow my mustache.  I have switched my cell phone plan from 120 to 40.  My family and I have cut eating out.  I still own a second car that is a money pit, but I avoid driving it as much as possible(2005 jeep Cherokee) which I am aware I need to get rid of.  I am also considering selling my hyundai which only has 2500 miles after only owning for a year.  I also got rid of cable tv and only have internet.  My misc. spending is a little inflated since I bought 4 6 packs of CFL's which came out to $60.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
Re: Help me out, please.. Budget
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
I would say pay off the Sonata and sell the Jeep.  Are you still active duty?  Good job on the TSP, keep plugging away at it. 

I'm a 23 year (so far) Navy type myself.

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:26:23 PM »
I would say pay off the Sonata and sell the Jeep. 

Somewhat along the same lines, I'd say sell the Sonata and the Jeep, and purchase something inexpensive but reliable in cash from your savings (say, a used Hyundai).

After that, chisel away at the groceries,the miscellaneous spending, then the utilities.

navystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »
I would say pay off the Sonata and sell the Jeep.  Are you still active duty?  Good job on the TSP, keep plugging away at it. 

I'm a 23 year (so far) Navy type myself.
Yes I am. Stationed in Norfolk, live in Virginia Beach.  Been in for 3.5 years hopefully make second class soon.  Only thing I regret is i didnt start putting money in my TSP until last year.  Nearly 0 commission. 

GoStumpy

• Stubble
    • YNAB = The ultimate budgeting software
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
I'll say this as nice as I can :)   

Why do you have a 2012 car at 24 years old?

I'm 27, and our car is a $2800 1998 VW Jetta with under 100k miles... very reliable, good on gas... and paid for.  We made the mistake once of buying a (used) 2003 Toyota Echo with 20k miles, but even that was too new and fancy for this stage in our lives...

You'll have many many many years ahead of you to build wealth before buying a fancy 2012 car, thing is, you gotta build wealth first, THEN buy a fancy car... if you buy the fancy car first it's a lot harder to build wealth!

Just what I've gathered having JUST finished reading "The Millionaire next door" :)

KingMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:15:14 PM »
Yes, keep plugging away at the TSP. It's probably the best 401(k) plan out there and contributions could help you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit.

How much are you saving/investing in an average month?

Your Internet bill seems high. Do you need the speed that you're paying for? Could you get a slower speed for less? Do you need the alarm system? I think the best deterrent is the alarm company sign outside the house.

I don't know if I'd sell the new car, honestly. The Sinata loan is for practically no interest. It could last until your children learn to drive. I may be in the minority here on that. But if you bought it new, it depreciated so much already. Getting a new car last year wasn't the best choice, but I'd consider keeping the car now. It gets good mileage and is a safe car for the kids.

As for the Jeep, how much is going into repairs? My wife has a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, and it's still running pretty well. However, if you don't need it, why keep it?

I assume you're the only worker because our children as young. Before you know it, your kids can be at school and your family's income can dramatically increase.

jamccain

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:04:02 PM »
In addition to the others advice I would break down that MISC spending...where is that going?  That's over $4K a year in spending which is probably largely unnecessary (taking a strict stache stance).  I would figure out what every dollar of that is and plan it. 

The 80/20 rule applies to budgets...80% of your expenses are super easy to track...the last 20% are a butt pain until you work it out and get used to it...but in the end, IT'S 20% OF YOUR MONEY!!!  No screaming intended...

BTW, if you retire from the military you're FI numbers will be crazy affected by your pension.  My wife is retiring from the AF soon and her pension will be equivalent to $1M+ in assets using the 4% rule.  Of course, that requires putting in 20 years which you may have no interest in doing. 

All in all, you've started young, nice work.

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 11:22:20 PM »
I don't know if I'd sell the new car, honestly. The Sinata loan is for practically no interest. It could last until your children learn to drive. I may be in the minority here on that. But if you bought it new, it depreciated so much already. Getting a new car last year wasn't the best choice, but I'd consider keeping the car now. It gets good mileage and is a safe car for the kids.

Whatever depreciation has happened is done and is a sunk cost, so I see the argument for keeping it.  But it's less than a year old -- there's a ton of future depreciation still to come, which can be avoided.  Plus, owing $16k he may actually be able to net some cash in a sale.

The big costs he'll see are opportunity costs on that $330 car payment.  Those funds could be invested and at a young age, the opportunity costs of 4 years of missed investments could prove to be huge in the long run.

navystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 12:09:37 AM »
I'll say this as nice as I can :)   

Why do you have a 2012 car at 24 years old?

I'm 27, and our car is a $2800 1998 VW Jetta with under 100k miles... very reliable, good on gas... and paid for.  We made the mistake once of buying a (used) 2003 Toyota Echo with 20k miles, but even that was too new and fancy for this stage in our lives...

You'll have many many many years ahead of you to build wealth before buying a fancy 2012 car, thing is, you gotta build wealth first, THEN buy a fancy car... if you buy the fancy car first it's a lot harder to build wealth!

Just what I've gathered having JUST finished reading "The Millionaire next door" :)
To be honest, I didn't start SERIOUSLY thinking about my future until just this last month.  I was about to go on deployment and I wanted a reliable car for my wife and daughters.  Now thinking about it there were better options. 
In addition to the others advice I would break down that MISC spending...where is that going?  That's over $4K a year in spending which is probably largely unnecessary (taking a strict stache stance).  I would figure out what every dollar of that is and plan it. 

The 80/20 rule applies to budgets...80% of your expenses are super easy to track...the last 20% are a butt pain until you work it out and get used to it...but in the end, IT'S 20% OF YOUR MONEY!!!  No screaming intended...

BTW, if you retire from the military you're FI numbers will be crazy affected by your pension.  My wife is retiring from the AF soon and her pension will be equivalent to $1M+ in assets using the 4% rule.  Of course, that requires putting in 20 years which you may have no interest in doing. 

All in all, you've started young, nice work.
$60 of it went towards CFL bulbs for the whole house.  And the other stuff is my wife buying some unnecessary things.  She isn't totally on board yet but she is getting there.  We want it to be under $75 a month.
Do you really need the home alarm system?  What do you have in the house that is so valuable you are afraid it will be stolen?  Since you have the stickers on the house already, can you possibly stop paying for the service and assume those will be enough of a deterrant to keep the thieves away?
Well my house was already broken into once.  My french door was smashed with big rocks, stole my tools, laptop, spare keys, and some fake jewelry.  All on christmas day.  Nothing is too valuable, but repairing the door itself was $600 plus the feeling of being violated. 

navystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:15:38 AM »
Yes, keep plugging away at the TSP. It's probably the best 401(k) plan out there and contributions could help you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit.

How much are you saving/investing in an average month?

Your Internet bill seems high. Do you need the speed that you're paying for? Could you get a slower speed for less? Do you need the alarm system? I think the best deterrent is the alarm company sign outside the house.

As for the Jeep, how much is going into repairs? My wife has a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, and it's still running pretty well. However, if you don't need it, why keep it?

I assume you're the only worker because our children as young. Before you know it, your kids can be at school and your family's income can dramatically increase.
I am probably going to sell the jeep, its actually been pretty reliable but even my attempt to hypermile it I am only getting 26 mpg.  I am not sure what to do about the sonata, I think I can AT LEAST get out of the payments if I decide to sell it. I sadly have FIOS but I am in progress of switching to COX since same speed is $20 less. 

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 04:01:57 AM »
One idea that worked well for me and my wife (who isn't really on board yet) is the idea of an allowance.  Each of us get a set amount in a separate account every two weeks to spend on anything we'd like.  The rest of the money goes into our main checking account and can only be spent on "approved" bills (groceries, utilities etc.). 

This has really helped us get a handle on daily spending (forces me to make my lunch for work since I don't want to spend "my" money on something as frivolous as that). 

Make sure every pay raise you bump up your TSP a little more, that can really add up over time.  Every Jan 1st, bump it up a little, when you make 2nd Class etc. 

Take advantage of PACE courses while on deployment, free college credits, ditto for taking courses when you hit shore duty, TA provides free college courses.  Finish your degree on active duty and you can transfer your GI bill to your kids.

You are making great decisions, keep it up!

superheropunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • former credit addict
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 08:29:52 AM »
At 24 with a family of 4 your expenses/savings looks pretty good, considering other young people I know. Just not having CC debt is awesome!

Understand about the home being broken into... Have you checked into some type of insurance to see if it is cheaper than the home monitoring?

I think at some point, to really grow the stache, you are going to have to increase income while still keeping your expenses low... But you already know that looks like you are well on your way.

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »

Can you explain this please??? My dh will retire in about 8yrs from AD army and we are trying to work out just how to save for FI... As in taxable account or Roth vs TSP so we have access to the money, and trying to figure out the tax advantages/disadvantages..

Sorry, to highjack your post ;-)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »

Can you explain this please??? My dh will retire in about 8yrs from AD army and we are trying to work out just how to save for FI... As in taxable account or Roth vs TSP so we have access to the money, and trying to figure out the tax advantages/disadvantages..

Sorry, to highjack your post ;-)
http://the-military-guide.com/2010/10/11/when-should-you-stop-working/
http://the-military-guide.com/2010/10/06/the-biggest-benefits-of-a-military-retirement/
http://the-military-guide.com/2010/12/30/tailor-your-investments-to-your-military-pay-and-your-pension/
http://the-military-guide.com/2011/03/17/present-value-estimate-of-a-military-pension/
http://the-military-guide.com/2011/03/21/asset-allocation-considerations-for-a-military-pension/
http://the-military-guide.com/2011/03/23/asset-allocation-considerations-for-a-military-pension-part-2/
http://the-military-guide.com/2011/03/24/asset-allocation-considerations-for-a-military-pension-part-3-of-3/

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
To davisgang90...holy shit..thank you!!!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
To davisgang90...holy shit..thank you!!!
Don't thank me, thank Nords and go read his book!  He's the author of the posts/articles I linked to.

But you are welcome anyway...

Nords posted the links in this post topic, also might be of interest to you.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/if-you-have-a-pension/

navystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »
At 24 with a family of 4 your expenses/savings looks pretty good, considering other young people I know. Just not having CC debt is awesome!

Understand about the home being broken into... Have you checked into some type of insurance to see if it is cheaper than the home monitoring?

I think at some point, to really grow the stache, you are going to have to increase income while still keeping your expenses low... But you already know that looks like you are well on your way.
Well when I got the security system my home insurance went down about $25.  I am going to call and threaten to cancel and see if they can lower it to 30 or 35.  As far as income, my income will drastically increase over the next 4 years. 

I am also reenlisting for 6 more years for $53,000.   

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »

Here's the thing that really gets me: a Hyundai Sonata is NOT a fancy car. It's not flashy, it's not incredibly cool, it doesn't go really fast, it doesn't have all sorts of comfort and features a 1999-2003 car (with side airbags) doesn't have. No one is going to give you a thumbs up or compliment you on how cool your car is or ask to take a ride in it because it's a Hyundai Sonata. It's an efficient, safe, reliable car but it costs a BOATLOAD of money relative to used cars that provide an identical amount of utility. So why the heck buy it?

I totally understand and heck, even condone, buying an exotic car like an Aston Martin or a Ferrari if you've got your house paid for, everything else taken care of and a couple million in the bank. But compromising your financial future over a car that's not even that great to begin with is kind of silly.

GoStumpy

• Stubble
    • YNAB = The ultimate budgeting software
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »
I guess as a car guy we agree on that... A $3500 2000 model Honda, Nissan, Toyota, or other, can provide the same or BETTER reliability of a 2012 Hyundai, for a fraction of the cost... with just as many creature comforts :)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 05:58:01 AM »

Well when I got the security system my home insurance went down about $25.  I am going to call and threaten to cancel and see if they can lower it to 30 or 35.  As far as income, my income will drastically increase over the next 4 years. 

Congrats on the SERB!  go online to Mypay and make sure your TSP election for bonuses is what you want to maximize how much gets socked away in your TSP.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »
Damn Congratulations, Stache, what's the SRB multiple on that?!?

Have you planned how you're going to deploy that windfall?  I used to get pretty excited about my plans just by picking up a $7200 nuke bonus check...

dahlink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 11:15:25 PM »
Another navy vet here.  The great news is that you have found this corner of the internet where the FI movement is.  I was always trying to be frugal but did not find this site until about a year and a half at age 29.  This financial kung foo is best lol.

Not sure what PTI is, but am assuming its related to housing expenses based on the cost.  I lived in winsor lake apartments by independence blvd, but was able to split rent with roommates having been single.  With a family of 4, that solution may not be on the table.  First lesson I learned from this blog is to attack housing, food, and transportation costs because they are usually the highest.  Being in the navy you have extra options available which nords has no doubt covered very well.

Just before I got out last year, there was a ride share program in San Diego, that people would actually get vouchers to pay for a mass transit solution to work. It could be a bus or a vanpool system.  There might be an option on Norfolk to seek.

Nice SRB btw.  Whats your rate?  I used to be unsure if TSP was so great but turns out its an amazing deal because the expenses are about the lowest out there if not the lowest.  If I had that SRB with what I know now I would put the whole thing into the G fund then use the slowly distribute into a lifecycle fund.  It might be considered market timing but I'd do it to simulate dollar cost averaging.

A couple specific things I did that do actually add up as a service member.  I started cutting my own hair.  This makes it really simple to stay in regs at all times.  I also switched to using a double edge safety razor system.  I'm sure an electric razor would be another great route as well.  If your using a cartridge mach3/quatro/etc system you might be throwing money away and not even realize it.  I learned about it from a forum post here on MMM and them a lot more on a blog, bruceonshaving.com  Since you must shave (unless your luckily have the blessed no shave chit) might as we do it on the cheap.

Looking back I have many regrets of wasting money while in the navy.  Just because the ship pulls into port does not mean you have to give all your money to "insert port call here".  I should have taken more advantage of MWR tours.  Taken pictures.  Engage in the volunteer activities in port.  It is actually fun and free aside from strengthening your eval.  Only towards the end of my career did I start getting interested in certifications and a college education.  It's ironic because I probably would have advanced even faster and would have avoided hitting a plateau at first class.

On another note, I just learned of this hilarious blog called duffelblog.com  It's essentially the military's version of The Onion.  For example:  NJP 365 lol

Welcome to the community.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 11:23:59 PM »
I talked with a Navy diver last week.  E-5, 2nd class diver quals.  He was paid $35K to enlist for diver training (I think he earned every penny of it) and he just re-enlisted for six for a $40K SRB.  I thought that was pretty impressive, and he admitted that "only" the nukes and the SEALs are pulling down more. 

On another note, I just learned of this hilarious blog called duffelblog.com  It's essentially the military's version of The Onion.  For example:  NJP 365 lol
You would not believe how much time is wasted on the Facebook group "Cold War Submarine Veterans" when the older submariners get their collective harrumphs in an uproar over a DuffelBlog post.  They can't tell it's satire and they find it all to easy to believe that "their military" has taken the handbasket straight to hell.  It'll go on for 20 or even 30 posts before someone finally points out the source of the "news".  The younger veterans try to explain it, but then beer gets involved, or someone makes a comment about some change that's actually really happening, and the entire cycle starts all over again...

dahlink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 11:34:12 PM »
You would not believe how much time is wasted on the Facebook group "Cold War Submarine Veterans" when the older submariners get their collective harrumphs in an uproar over a DuffelBlog post.  They can't tell it's satire and they find it all to easy to believe that "their military" has taken the handbasket straight to hell.  It'll go on for 20 or even 30 posts before someone finally points out the source of the "news".  The younger veterans try to explain it, but then beer gets involved, or someone makes a comment about some change that's actually really happening, and the entire cycle starts all over again...
[/quote]

I had no idea but can imagine.  It's like one of those facebook posts of a picture with a BS story that everyone jumps on I bet.  Outrage over nothing.

navystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 04:22:55 AM »
Another navy vet here.  The great news is that you have found this corner of the internet where the FI movement is.  I was always trying to be frugal but did not find this site until about a year and a half at age 29.  This financial kung foo is best lol.

Not sure what PTI is, but am assuming its related to housing expenses based on the cost.  I lived in winsor lake apartments by independence blvd, but was able to split rent with roommates having been single.  With a family of 4, that solution may not be on the table.  First lesson I learned from this blog is to attack housing, food, and transportation costs because they are usually the highest.  Being in the navy you have extra options available which nords has no doubt covered very well.

Just before I got out last year, there was a ride share program in San Diego, that people would actually get vouchers to pay for a mass transit solution to work. It could be a bus or a vanpool system.  There might be an option on Norfolk to seek.

Nice SRB btw.  Whats your rate?  I used to be unsure if TSP was so great but turns out its an amazing deal because the expenses are about the lowest out there if not the lowest.  If I had that SRB with what I know now I would put the whole thing into the G fund then use the slowly distribute into a lifecycle fund.  It might be considered market timing but I'd do it to simulate dollar cost averaging.

A couple specific things I did that do actually add up as a service member.  I started cutting my own hair.  This makes it really simple to stay in regs at all times.  I also switched to using a double edge safety razor system.  I'm sure an electric razor would be another great route as well.  If your using a cartridge mach3/quatro/etc system you might be throwing money away and not even realize it.  I learned about it from a forum post here on MMM and them a lot more on a blog, bruceonshaving.com  Since you must shave (unless your luckily have the blessed no shave chit) might as we do it on the cheap.

Looking back I have many regrets of wasting money while in the navy.  Just because the ship pulls into port does not mean you have to give all your money to "insert port call here".  I should have taken more advantage of MWR tours.  Taken pictures.  Engage in the volunteer activities in port.  It is actually fun and free aside from strengthening your eval.  Only towards the end of my career did I start getting interested in certifications and a college education.  It's ironic because I probably would have advanced even faster and would have avoided hitting a plateau at first class.

Welcome to the community.
I am an FC(Aegis type) if you were ever stationed on a destroyer or cruiser you know my type as I work on SPY.  I really didn't waste much money on my last deployment but I haven't taken true advantage of maps program, NCPACE, or TA which I really should since I already have a year worth of college credits.  I can't see myself doing 20 but I can see myself doing my shore duty up to 10.  I am looking into a mass transit solution further. 
I talked with a Navy diver last week.  E-5, 2nd class diver quals.  He was paid $35K to enlist for diver training (I think he earned every penny of it) and he just re-enlisted for six for a $40K SRB.  I thought that was pretty impressive, and he admitted that "only" the nukes and the SEALs are pulling down more. 
For the most part that is true but my rate has always got large SRB's.  But probably goes unnoticed since were a relative smaller community.  Heck, if I was in zone b i would be getting $75,000.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 04:39:57 AM »
SPY tech is a good gig and very much in demand.  The good news is that if you get out there's a lot of contract work in the AEGIS "Mafia".  I'm a LAMPS pilot by trade, so I am pretty familiar with the ships you serve on since I served on them too!

dahlink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 07:47:20 AM »
I thought you might be an FC.  I also failed to do MAPS, NPACE, or TA.  However near the end, I did take advantage of the NavyCOOL system and also did a bunch of CLEPS and DSSTs which are a one time freebie from the navy.  I found studying for these tests to be challenging but fun.  I passed 4 IT certs and 5CLEP/DSSTs. 

Looks like there are some interesting certs available to your rate. https://www.cool.navy.mil/enlisted/fc.htm

I was not interested in going to classes while working a job which is why I stated doing CLEPS/DSSTs.  You can actually almost earn an entire liberal arts degree if you were to enroll in one of the 3 regional colleges that don't have a cap on accepting CLEPS/DSSTs.  And with very little cost too.

If your interested let me know.  I'd give you the scoop on what I wish in knew when I was an E4 on this matter.  A great website that has a whole lot of data on this is http://www.free-clep-prep.com/  There are even FEMA courses you could do that give lower level college credit.

I mention these things and the things before because I wish I made different choices instead of being a complainypants.  I thought that volunteering in port was a waste of my liberty.  I thought collateral duties and similar extra curricular activities were distractions from doing "my real job".  Unfortunately, looking back, I spent way too much time BS'ing during downtime.  I could have afforded to put time in but did not. 

navystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
I thought you might be an FC.  I also failed to do MAPS, NPACE, or TA.  However near the end, I did take advantage of the NavyCOOL system and also did a bunch of CLEPS and DSSTs which are a one time freebie from the navy.  I found studying for these tests to be challenging but fun.  I passed 4 IT certs and 5CLEP/DSSTs. 

Looks like there are some interesting certs available to your rate. https://www.cool.navy.mil/enlisted/fc.htm

I was not interested in going to classes while working a job which is why I stated doing CLEPS/DSSTs.  You can actually almost earn an entire liberal arts degree if you were to enroll in one of the 3 regional colleges that don't have a cap on accepting CLEPS/DSSTs.  And with very little cost too.

If your interested let me know.  I'd give you the scoop on what I wish in knew when I was an E4 on this matter.  A great website that has a whole lot of data on this is http://www.free-clep-prep.com/  There are even FEMA courses you could do that give lower level college credit.

I mention these things and the things before because I wish I made different choices instead of being a complainypants.  I thought that volunteering in port was a waste of my liberty.  I thought collateral duties and similar extra curricular activities were distractions from doing "my real job".  Unfortunately, looking back, I spent way too much time BS'ing during downtime.  I could have afforded to put time in but did not.
I would definitely like to learn more especially on getting certs.  Will PM you. 

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 10:37:47 AM »
I am an FC(Aegis type) if you were ever stationed on a destroyer or cruiser you know my type as I work on SPY.  I really didn't waste much money on my last deployment but I haven't taken true advantage of maps program, NCPACE, or TA which I really should since I already have a year worth of college credits.  I can't see myself doing 20 but I can see myself doing my shore duty up to 10.  I am looking into a mass transit solution further.
For the most part that is true but my rate has always got large SRB's.  But probably goes unnoticed since were a relative smaller community.  Heck, if I was in zone b i would be getting $75,000.
Impressive. 

In '94-'97 I taught OTH-T and C4I to TLAM FCs in a Point Loma, SD training command that used to be known as FCTCPAC.  Very interesting tour, especially for there being only one or two submariners on the staff.

If you're able to get shore duty at a training command then scheduling your time to get your college degree is a lot easier.  But of course if you're part of a tech support team or an afloat training team then you're much more widely experienced and in touch with all of the tech reps for a transition to a civilian career.  No losers on any of your shore duty choices.