Author Topic: Help me find a new job  (Read 6697 times)

ludwig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help me find a new job
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to boost my career and I'd like to answer some job offers in english (especially this one https://groups.drupal.org/node/303993)
Could you please take a look a my resume (https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrei7hbp06ipw8i/cv_jr.jpg) and cover letter (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei8syq8mu15dwjz/cover.txt)

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks a lot for your time.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Help me find a new job
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
Hi Julien-
First, I don't know anything about web code, so I can't comment on your technical experience, but I do have some thoughts on your overall resume. At first glance, the layout of your resume caught my eye - it shows that you have tailored it to a web audience.  BUT, this format does not leave enough space to highlight your achievements.  At first glance the Skills section looks cool, but I don't know what the scale is, so I don't know how to interpret it.  The only thing I can tell is that you probably know more Php than NodeJS?  Not super relevant. If I'm a prospective employer, what I want to know is what sets you apart from all the other developers that have Php experience?  Why you?  What achievements have you accomplished?  What can you do for me that others can't.

Also, when I printed out your resume, the grey text was so light, it was barely readable.

WORK EXPERIENCE
You stated what you did - converted some legacy cold.  Yawn!  You need to talk about achievements or explain the challenge you were faced with.  For example, was it a condensed timeline, did you beat it?  Did you release the code into production with zero bugs?  The way you have it laid out, it doesn't allow for you to highlight any achievements, you only have enough room for 1 or 2 sentences.  Visually appealing, but not enough information for an employer to want to call you and chat more.  You need to whet their appetite enough to set up an interview.

COVER LETTER
See Work experience above!  Since the job specifically states English, you can't refer them to your work that is in  another language.  You need to talk about all the great things you did.  Did you help drive sales based on a new design layout you did - stuff like that.

I'm not sure how competitive Php skills are, but there is no WOW factor in your resume's achievements, other than they can see that you have Php experience.  If you want to take another pass at it, I'd be happy to provide more feedback.

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:48:31 AM »
OK, first things first: where are you applying? If you try to write an American-style cover letter for a job in France, you will not get a call, because everyone will think you are full of yourself. Conversely, a French-style resume will put an American recruiter to sleep. It's not only a question of language, it's mostly cultural expectations. I've worked in France as a recruiter, and I remember showing my resume to an American colleague and getting a debrief very like the one you just got from MsSindy... It's an adjustment, but you'll get there!

If we're talking about the UK, Australia, or elsewhere, I'm sure different expectations apply too, but we need the perspective of someone who worked there to help you out.

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:41:47 AM »
I like your resume overall. I do have two things to mention:

First, it feels like you're missing a page. You covered all the pertinent facts on the page that is there and got my attention, but I want to know more. I would suggest adding a second page with more detail. The previous posters gave you some ideas on what to put on it.

Second, I would not use the phrase "Web Developer" unless you have a really good reason since I feel it is too ambiguous. To me, it could mean anything from somebody that only knows HTML and some JavaScript (or worse yet, just Flash) to somebody that knows C# and builds enterprise applications on the web. I would at least put "Web Application Developer" instead as that more accurately reflects your true abilities.

Overall, it looks good. If my business was hiring and a resume came across my desk like yours I would certainly give it a good look.

ludwig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 01:03:36 AM »
@MsSindy thank you very much for your detailed feedback, I'll keep you updated for a second pass, thanks a lot.

@impaire I'm going to use this resume only for US (maybe UK) employers, I've got another one for the french market, thank you

@Sparafusile I was thinking using "Web Engineer" instead of "Web Developer" cause that's really what I do. But I don't have an engineer diploma so I thought it could be kind of dishonest. I like your suggestion "Web Application Developer" seems great and more accurate, thanks a lot.

Thank you all for your feedback, I'll try to work a new version this weekend and keep you updated.

P.S: If you need any help with a website I'll be glad to return the favour

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 01:47:27 AM »
Really like the visual time-lines and must see how that would look on my cv!

There's a typo in the word Experience, but you perhaps already know that!

As mentioned above, there is generally a cultural difference between USA and UK, with what comes over as self-confident in the US being generally seen as arrogant in UK - although that may be less true in the IT sector!

Best of luck with the applications!

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 03:43:07 AM »
I have to say I like the CV too, but didn't know how to read the skills panel: what measure are you using there?  Will your recruiters understand it?  But one page is great I think and it's easy to follow.

I'd do a bit more work on the letter.  Take out the word "actually" in both places, and as Ms Sindy says add some more colour to your description of your key projects.

Overall you do come across as high energy and engaged, which is great.  But I would also want more insight into how you deal with challenging situations and how you work in a team (e.g. Was all this work solo, or did you have people working for you, or need to collaborate with a wider team?). Maybe this is not so important in your work, but for me (in consulting) it would be a question.

ludwig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 06:36:00 AM »
Hi all,

Just finished another version of my resume, https://www.dropbox.com/s/adq8sxp3n9cs780/cv_jr.pdf
And the cover letter https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei8syq8mu15dwjz/cover.txt

I don't know how not to repeat myself between the two... never been good at writing.

I tried to put a scale above the skills (beginner to expert), do you think maybe stars would be more visual ?

Thanks for your feedback.

aaronpct

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 07:26:23 AM »
Hello - I made a few edits to your cover letter.

I would also consider addressing specifics in the job posting, such as "I feel I would be perfect for the job opportunity because of x"...

-------

Hello,

I'm a web developer with 8 years of experience, working at a dating website company and looking for new challenges.

We worked mainly with Php (Codeigniter), Mysql, MongoDB, Redis, NodeJS, Svn and Git.

My main focus was to rewrite the old codebase from an old Php procedural style to an object oriented Php 5 version (with PDO), and also to develop the mobile version of our service using JQuery Mobile.
My goal was to allow easy internationalization so we could launch Spanish and English websites.
I was able to reduce application load so we could cut down from 4 to 3 servers while increasing our user base from 200,000 to 650,000.

Before I worked at this company, I freelanced for 4 years which allowed me to do most of my work remotely. I had to work under pressure with short deadlines and decentralized teams. For example, developing an Ajax quizz overnight for www.mybiclighter.com or rewriting a back-office for www.knightfrank.fr in two days.

You can have a look at my freelancer's portfolio here: http://www.comelse.com/?page_id=95
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:45:48 AM by aaronpct »

ludwig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:28:44 AM »
Thanks for your feedback!

Could you please remove my name from your post, I don't want Google to index this.

thanks

bluewater

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »
I could be wrong but I didn't see a mention of any code up on Github, Bitbucket, etc?  If you're looking in the start up sector at all employers want to see code samples. 

Any contributions to open source projects? 

Usually DOB is not included on resumes here in the US. 

Overall I'd say a very visually appealing resume.  There is a fine line to be walked when self evaluating your skills as you did.  Expert level by some would be reserved for language creators, those asked to speak at conferences, etc.  Perhaps you are there but if not by reflecting that level of skill you might be asking for a more rigorous interview process. 

You might include also (depending on what you're looking to do) whether you are looking strictly for a remote position or are open to relocation. 

ludwig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »
Thanks a lot, I got an interview for the job I wanted.

Wish me luck ;-)

ludwig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 08:23:44 AM »
Hi guys!

Just to give you a follow up on my situation.
Thanks to you all I landed a job for an US startup (www.sprongo.com) two month ago.

Thanks again!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!