Author Topic: Help me finally satisfy my husband, please.  (Read 20362 times)

BZB

• Bristles
Re: Help me finally satisfy my husband, please.
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2015, 02:15:32 PM »
haha! I was afraid to click on this thread while at work because of the title!
I haven't been on a beach vacation, but am following to see the answers. Mr. BZB has been feeling deprived by my frugal ways and is starting to rebel against my suggestions to save money, so I hope to learn from your experience.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2015, 02:25:59 PM »
you can do a nice all inclusive in mexico for 5-700 a person all inclusive for a week.  That is the route I would take.  Food taken car of, beach, warmth, free drinks, flight.  all paid...

richschmidt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2015, 02:33:20 PM »
We've stayed at several Riu all-inclusive resorts for just the kind of experience you're describing. No worries about meals or drinks or anything, and plenty of room on the beach and by the pool. My wife is in education, so most of our trips have been during spring break. In fact, we just got back from their Panama resort. The only thing to watch for is the distance from the airport to the resort. It was a 2-hour drive in Panama. We've also stayed in Mexico, Jamaica, and Costa Rica. Their Costa Rica had lots of bugs in the evening. Our favorite was Jamaica (Ocho Rios), in part because of the jerk chicken hut on the beach. Mmmmmm...

If you go this route, I recommend booking it with a travel agent or directly with Apple Vacations rather than through the Riu website. The price was the same at Apple, but the 2-hour transfer was thrown in for free, instead of costing an extra $200 or so.

We were going to do something different, maybe through AirBnB or something, but after several hours all the details got waaaaaaaaaay too stressful. So we pulled the trigger on the all-inclusive. 15 minutes later, the vacation was booked, and no more stress. :)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
Cinnamon Bay campground, St John, US Virgin Islands.  You can rent a  cabana with a small kitchen.  If the kids are old enough, bring them tents and put them over on the tent sites for $25/night (at least it was several years ago).  One of the most beautiful beaches in the world.  No passport needed, unless you want to take a day and go over the the British Virgin Islands while you are there.

That sounds like an awesome getaway! How did you manage food? I looked up their rates and they've gone up since you were there, but still reasonable. http://www.cinnamonbay.com/rates.html

Sorry I'm just now answering the questions, but there is a restaurant on-site, I took a camping stove (I was using my own tent on a baresite), and there are taxi's and shuttles into town where there are several restaurants and small groceries.  For the baresites, I think the rates, even now, can't be beat.  The beach is RIGHT THERE.  Facilities are cool showers and sinks and toilets at several different bath houses along the main path that goes along the beach.  I used to spend over 2 weeks every year around Thanksgiving to the first week in December, but got downsized from my corporate job and just never got back over there.  It was a cheap-ish dream vacation for me at the time.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »
I live in NC and would highly recommend the outerbanks- specifically Kitty Hawk.  Early-mid Sept is still warm with warm water but not crowded.  Also, the hurricane season really isn't too bad around that time usually.  There are plenty of good restaurants and affordable condos/ homes for rent.  Also if you do want to go tour some things- the Wright Bros memorial is really cook- you can hang glide off of the 100ft dune! You can also go on an evening wolf spotting tour in Alligator River national refuge with a ranger. 

if you're looking for a more "resort" feel, I recommend Bald Head Island- no cars allowed, only golf carts- most come with houses when you rent.  The beaches are fantastic on the island and it has a more upscale feel.