Author Topic: Help me deal with impending insane purchase  (Read 27919 times)

MikeBear

• Bristles
Re: Help me deal with impending insane purchase
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2015, 04:54:42 PM »
Suzuki Sidekicks have/had removable tops I believe and are small SUV's? Good gas mileage, reliable. But they haven't made them in some time. Could be a compromise as well?

I've owned a couple Suzuki cars, (Metro and Swift, and I've rented a Sidekick on vacation) and they are absolute SHIT for vehicles. I would never get another. Crap metal, that once it starts the slightest bit of rust will rust all the way through VERY quickly. They also tend to develop issues that are expensive to fix. I would especially never, ever buy a Suzuki car to give to my wife, even if you could buy new ones in the US.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »
I am surprised by all the responses----what do you want your wife do, walk???  If it's breaking down every week, you are going to have to purchase something quickly. 

Is your child able to work?  If so, they should be working to help pay for college expenses.  If it is too expensive, then look for a cheaper university/college/community college to attend.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2015, 06:38:07 PM »
Has anyone in this thread ever actually owned a Jeep?

While I understand this is a finance site, a MMM finance site at that, I have yet to see a single person mention the "fun factor" involved in a Jeep Wrangler.

A couple of people at least implied it obliquely (by talking about better Wrangler choices instead of other cars).

It's like the closest thing to being on a motorcycle, without being on a motorcycle.

Here is the compromise I would make. I would look for a reliable convertible. Something like a Toyota Solara. Toyota is reliable and it is a convertible. I'd look for something similar to that. My parents are super thrifty, MMM nearly. They love their convertible. They put well over 200k on their Chrysler Sebring, and now have a v6 mustang that they love as well. Their mustang gets close to 30mpg on the highway.

The correct answer is "Miata."

(See also my anecdote earlier in the thread.)

By the way, there were a few other convertible SUVs: the Geo/Chevy Tracker, the Isuzu Amigo, the Ford Bronco (that part that looks like a truck camper top comes off), etc. They're all old and they're all shitty. The Wrangler is pretty bad in terms of reliability, but most things it competed against were even worse.

Of course, there's also this ridiculous chunk of automotive what-the-fuckery....

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2015, 06:54:32 PM »
Thank you for all the thoughtful responses which I cannot adequately respond to tonight.  I was trying to fix the gasoline smell that I mentioned previously and found a dripping, live fuel leak from the fuel rail.  Car is parked until this can be fixed, and I won't let the wife near it until the fix has some miles on it.  Thanks again for your input.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2015, 07:23:36 PM »
Has anyone in this thread ever actually owned a Jeep?

While I understand this is a finance site, a MMM finance site at that, I have yet to see a single person mention the "fun factor" involved in a Jeep Wrangler.

There are NO other SUV's on the job market that you can take the top off, let alone the doors. No top and no doors is a blast. It's like the closest thing to being on a motorcycle, without being on a motorcycle.

People do not buy Jeeps for the fuel mileage, or because of their rough ride, they buy them for their offroad capability (which the wife likely won't utilize) and mostly for the capabilities of losing the top and doors, which I would imagine is what she is after.

I understand the OP's reasoning for not being able to afford it. Makes total sense to me. However, coming from someone who has owned 2 Jeeps and 3 motorcycles, I certainly see where she is coming from as well.

I would just bet, that if you ask her why she wants it, she will say because of the removable top. Not many people take the doors off (some don't even know, I took mine off a ton) but the removable top is huge.

Here is the compromise I would make. I would look for a reliable convertible. Something like a Toyota Solara. Toyota is reliable and it is a convertible. I'd look for something similar to that. My parents are super thrifty, MMM nearly. They love their convertible. They put well over 200k on their Chrysler Sebring, and now have a v6 mustang that they love as well. Their mustang gets close to 30mpg on the highway.

Like I said, I see where the other posters from the 100% PURELY financial spectrum, however I think some people could broaden their spectrum a little bit to see the "fun factor" involved in a Jeep.

Suzuki Sidekicks have/had removable tops I believe and are small SUV's? Good gas mileage, reliable. But they haven't made them in some time. Could be a compromise as well?

My roommate has one, lifted on 35's. It's a great rock rig, but it seems something's getting fixed every few weeks... It's a shitty commuter, so he drives a $1500 Saturn to work. If the OP's wife doesn't plan on going offroad, I'd agree that a Wrangler isn't the way to go. If it'll get dirty, then sure - I could see that.

I also understand not wanting something that always needs work. I recently sold my offroad truck (80 series Landcruiser with 213k) and my daily driver ('99 Tacoma with 283k) to get something a bit newer (07, 103k). Was it more expensive? Yup. Was it worth it? To some, no. To me, yes, because now I don't always have something that needs tweaking. :)

I used a basic decision matrix to help determine which route I should go. It landed on the route that I took, and I have no regrets.
http://asq.org/learn-about-quality/decision-making-tools/overview/decision-matrix.html

I still have my 2000 wrangler with 120k miles, 4 inch suspension lift, 35" tires.  Since I bike-commute to work there's not much reason to still have a backup backup vehicle.. *ducks the incoming anti-mustachian facepunch*.  It's been mostly sitting for the past 3~6 years with the occasional off-roading trip thrown in.  It's still in great shape, despite all of the salt on the roads here in central PA.  I've been meaning to sell her for a while, and could probably get 6k pretty easily.  It's a shame that I can't sell it to you ;). 

It is not very practical, it has next to no room in the back, either for legs or for hauling (without a trailer).  It is pretty awesome to drive, but it handles 'like a jeep'.  If you try to drive it like a sports car, of course you'll roll it. 

I also give another +1 to if she wants a Jeep, get a 95~07. 

feelingroovy

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
I have.  My husband had a jeep wrangler when we first started dating.

Sure it was fun once in a while, but mostly it was a PIA.  I hated that car.

Despite being in southern CA, I was freezing most of the time we'd drive.  You can't just put the top up like in a convertible. You have to get out and snap it all on.  Even with the top on it's not air tight so it's still cold.

You can't lock stuff in it securely so you have to think ahead about everything you bring with you.  (Like your winter coat and the top!).

Maybe they have changed and maybe hard tops are better, but the fun wore off really fast for me.  I vote for a real convertible with a trunk whose top goes up with a button.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2015, 09:51:39 AM »
One more thought. Looks like your wife's current vehicle is an absolute turd. I'd be crabby too if I thought I was being forced / kept in something like that. Sounds like almost anything newer / better would be an improvement for her without going full out to a Wrangler.

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2015, 09:32:31 PM »
Non-mechanically inclined female here. Yes, a car is just a thing and who cares. However, that thing serves a purpose, and if it's causing stress, a safety risk, or otherwise not serving its purpose, then it's time to replace it. Who cares if you can keep patching it up so it runs? If the whole thing is falling apart, being able to fix each part as it craps out doesn't help. What happens when the wheels rust through while driving and the car body hits the ground at 60 mph? (or whatever you said about the rusty wheel thing - see my first sentence)

You hit the point of diminishing returns a long time ago. Replace the car, asap. For her physical safety. And next time, don't let it get to this point. If your punishment (and yes, consider this to be a punishment for neglecting to ensure your wife was driving a vehicle that reliably wouldn't try to kill her) is to buy a Jeep, then maybe it'll make the lesson stick. If you're lucky you can work with her to get a less expensive car.

If I were married, had a car in that condition, and my husband wouldn't agree to buying a new (to me at least) car, then I'd have to seriously think about why he didn't care about my safety. Money isn't everything, despite what sometimes comes across on the forums. If you like fixing up cars, then you can drive the falling apart POS.

The rusty wheel wells are the body openings for the wheels. This rust is only cosmetic and is not unsafe. Wife even covered it with body colored duct tape but now the duct tape is rusty...

I care about this woman more than I can express on this forum.

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 09:48:49 PM »
We bought (mortgaged) the wrangler. She loves it. We had a great talk tonight about our goals, our ideal Thursday's, and she can see that neither of us is living that ideal life by being apart at our jobs all day which will be the reality tomorrow.  I have focused on the money but we need to have a plan together.  As MMM said, it's not about extreme frugality. My plan is to keep working with her on our shared vision of the future, which has not been discussed enough.  Vaca in Cali is still happening. Flights paid long ago. Daughters bff (and college roommate) is going with and looks like her mom will pay us for her plane ticket we bought, which I was not counting on. Accommodations using hotel points.  All is well.

Dealership congratulated me on the purchase. That made me think of the forum posts about honoring purchases. I wonder what dealer thought when i didn't respond.

Wife is not one dimensional as this thread would lead one to believe.

I am drunk now so this post must end. I thank you all for your advice and kind words.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:57:24 PM by 80Westy »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2015, 07:26:41 AM »
Non-mechanically inclined female here. Yes, a car is just a thing and who cares. However, that thing serves a purpose, and if it's causing stress, a safety risk, or otherwise not serving its purpose, then it's time to replace it. Who cares if you can keep patching it up so it runs? If the whole thing is falling apart, being able to fix each part as it craps out doesn't help. What happens when the wheels rust through while driving and the car body hits the ground at 60 mph? (or whatever you said about the rusty wheel thing - see my first sentence)

You hit the point of diminishing returns a long time ago. Replace the car, asap. For her physical safety. And next time, don't let it get to this point. If your punishment (and yes, consider this to be a punishment for neglecting to ensure your wife was driving a vehicle that reliably wouldn't try to kill her) is to buy a Jeep, then maybe it'll make the lesson stick. If you're lucky you can work with her to get a less expensive car.

If I were married, had a car in that condition, and my husband wouldn't agree to buying a new (to me at least) car, then I'd have to seriously think about why he didn't care about my safety. Money isn't everything, despite what sometimes comes across on the forums. If you like fixing up cars, then you can drive the falling apart POS.

The rusty wheel wells are the body openings for the wheels. This rust is only cosmetic and is not unsafe. Wife even covered it with body colored duct tape but now the duct tape is rusty...

I care about this woman more than I can express on this forum.

Glad to hear it. Replace the car with something that's more reliable and she'll be happier with.

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2015, 09:29:07 PM »
Wrangler is for sale. For all non-mustacians that are interested, you can contact me thru PM on this forum. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2015, 03:27:07 AM »
Come on spill it... what happened here?

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2015, 05:43:37 AM »
Wrangler is for sale. For all non-mustacians that are interested, you can contact me thru PM on this forum.

Omg, what???

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2015, 06:44:14 AM »
Yeah, you can't just post something like that and then not tell us the details!

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »
+1 to spill the beans!

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2015, 08:10:17 AM »

Maybe he means the old rusted Cherokee?...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:11:55 AM by James »

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »
There has got to me an interesting story here.

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2015, 09:12:10 PM »
DW has come around to a more mustachian way of thinking.  I will try to explain in more detail later but can't on this old tablet.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2015, 05:07:13 AM »
I own a 2008 Wrangler and you don't have to explain why it is for sale.  I'm ready to sell mine as well, and I bought it new.  No room to haul anything, pretty impossible for anyone to get into the back seat, horrible gas mileage that I didn't realize until I rented a mid-sized car for 2 weeks on vacation and was floored at how much less gas it took.  Probably the only reason I still have it is that it was in storage (in a rental storage unit...) for 2.5 years and only driven a couple of weeks a year I was back in the States on vacation (and by my Uncle roughly once a month).  I'm just not sure what I want to get instead and I hate the idea of payments again which means something I can trade somewhat even.  I think the idea of a Jeep is totally different than the reality.  Mine has been amazingly reliable, though.

astvilla

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2015, 05:55:15 AM »
Lol I was reading the thread and ignored the date posted so when I saw the post "for sale" I was like "HUH?"

But going off the thread and vibe I was getting off from reading, I'm not really surprised.  Didn't seem like a smart move to me though maybe I'm a bit surprised she came to her senses. Not all people do even after learning their lesson, perhaps most don't but seems like turned around which is great!  At least, she came to her senses and it's a lesson learned, which could be better in the long run.  So in the grand scheme, buying the Jeep was a good idea?

How can people drive a car with no doors?  Is that even legal?  I saw someone driving a Jeep Wrangler on a highway, 60-70 mph and no doors, how is that at all safe?  I guess motorcycles are worse but still...scary and dangerous. 

So what car is going to be the replacement then?

math-ya

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2015, 10:19:30 AM »
I drive my wrangler with no doors all the time. Doors don't do anything but give you a false sense of security. A couple paper thin sheets of metal don't provide any sort of real protection. If anything, I would argue doorless is safer because you can see much more and you can get a better understanding of how dangerous driving is- especially at highway speeds

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2015, 10:24:21 AM »
horrible gas mileage that I didn't realize until I rented a mid-sized car for 2 weeks on vacation and was floored at how much less gas it took. 

Ha! Same issue with my car (not a Jeep). I rented an Hyundai Accent on a trip and also had a Chevy Sonic and I was like... are they even using any gas?! :O

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
Funny comment about the Accent, we rented one in CA on our vacation mention in this thread, and it rocked the mileage. We are two days from trading the Wranger for a 2013 Focus hatchback.  38 mpg hiway!

Maybe the most mustachian behaviors come from the most un-mustachian experiences? Not that we're victims since the bad decisions were ours as well.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2015, 08:36:58 PM »
This is too funny.  We had a Wrangler that my husband had to have and we ended up selling it for a loss a year later because he'd never drive it.  But we only spent $4K on it so it wasn't a huge deal.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2015, 08:23:17 PM »
How can people drive a car with no doors?  Is that even legal?  I saw someone driving a Jeep Wrangler on a highway, 60-70 mph and no doors, how is that at all safe?  I guess motorcycles are worse but still...scary and dangerous. 

At least in PA, it's legal to drive without doors, but you still need your driver's side view mirror.  They make a little kit where you can either mount it on the side of windshield hinge, or one you can drop into the half of the hinge where the door would normally sit. 

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2015, 10:04:30 PM »
I commend you on the value you are putting on your marriage.  If you can't negotiate on the car, can you negotiate on the timing?  As in I really want to you to have what you want, can we work really hard to save up the rest of the cash so we don't have to go in debt for it?  If she gets started down that road, she may find all sorts of slack in the household budget that could go toward the vehicle.  It could turn into a learning experience for her and a win/win for FIRE since she would know all these new tricks afterwards

I'm a husband. Here's how I would approach it:

Step 1. Say, "You know, I've been thinking about it, and you were right. It really is time to replace your vehicle. It's too unreliable, you've put up with repairs for a long time, and you deserve something better." [It's important to say "You were right" -- don't leave that out]

Step 2. Say, "You've said you want a 2012 Jeep Wrangler -- any reasons you want that car in particular?"

Step 3. LISTEN. Don't say a word to refute anything about the 2012 JW. Listen to everything she says, pay close attention to the reasons she gives. Instead, nod your head, and say things like, "I see" or "That makes sense." If she seems to run out of reasons, ask her "Anything else?" Then listen some more.

Step 4. After she's done giving reasons, say "Okay." Then take some time on your own to think about it. This tells her you listened and will seriously give it consideration. If she presses you to give an answer about it, tell her you'd like a little time to digest what she's said and to look for some ways to get her what she wants.

Step 5. Look around for vehicles that meet the criteria she gave you AND that are cost-effective. Come up with several options for her to consider in addition to the JW. Example: She says "reliability" is her number one concern, you find the Consumer Reports pick for the most reliable car in your price range.

Step 6. Present her with the options, and include the JW as an option. Show her the pros/cons of each vehicle and how they might meet her criteria, and of course include cost in the equation. Now, she should be seeing you as presenting an objective set of choices, not a sales pitch in favor of the car you want her to pick. LET HER MAKE THE CHOICE.

Step. 7. If she chooses the JW despite it being inferior (and more expensive) to the other choices, tell her you want to find a way for the two of you to pay for it without going into debt, decreasing your retirement savings, hampering college for your kids, etc. Ask her what she thinks you both should do -- earn extra income at a second job? Cut expenses somewhere else? Give up some other future purchase or expense like the spring break trip? Make it clear that you want to get her the vehicle she wants, but that there's no free lunch. She'll have to consider tradeoffs if she's going to pick an expensive car "just because."

both are awesome points/ideas!!!

also +1 to who ever mentioned the Lemonaide book of cars.  If you can find something that's more reliable show her the comparison in the two vehicles and see if the safety aspect helps.  It sounds like for too long she's not been interested/included in the savings/FIRE goal and is out of touch with your plans.  i wish you luck!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2015, 10:30:32 PM »
I drive a 1998 Ford Escort Cpe - no troubles ever. It gets routine maintenance and it runs fine. Keeping my fingers crossed it will last a while longer - it has 109,000 miles on it. By Jan, I hope to have enough to buy a new used car for cash. If it still runs fine by then, I'll be happy to drive it into the ground. 
The second I don't feel safe in it anymore - it will be gone.

Mr. R. drives a 2015 Subaru Forester. We made a good size down payment and financed at 0%. We are happy with our little tank:) Next month I am canceling the GAP Insurance on it - it served its purpose.  He has a long drive to work and his old Pick-Up was becoming unreliable and unsafe.

We were in a similar situation as you but no cc debts, yet not enough cash for a new car. We never touch our 401K or our mini portfolio, we did for home improvements, once.

I think you are way past the safety margin for her rust bucket, I'd be tempted to let it roll off a cliff and blame it on the brakes:) Let her pick the car she wants, but based on the response in this thread I'd say have another look around first. There are lots of fun cars out there - good luck in finding a great deal:)

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2015, 08:31:27 AM »

You need to get out and live a little... :D

Just because you wouldn't feel safe doesn't mean it is dangerous, and just because you feel safe doesn't mean you are. Motorcycles and no doors aren't for everyone, and nothing wrong with not liking it for yourself, but they are not dangerous or unsafe.

Avidconsumer

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2015, 01:30:29 PM »

You need to get out and live a little... :D

Just because you wouldn't feel safe doesn't mean it is dangerous, and just because you feel safe doesn't mean you are. Motorcycles and no doors aren't for everyone, and nothing wrong with not liking it for yourself, but they are not dangerous or unsafe.

Safer in flood prone areas.

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2015, 02:41:09 PM »
We have discussed Mazda3 hatches (I love 40 mpg, she thinks ugly)

I just bought a 2005 Mazda 3 hatchback, manual transmission.  I get 30 mpg, not 40.  Lots of city driving, but just thought I'd add a random data point to the conversation.  I think it looks great, but style is a personal thing.  :)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »
Funny comment about the Accent, we rented one in CA on our vacation mention in this thread, and it rocked the mileage. We are two days from trading the Wranger for a 2013 Focus hatchback.  38 mpg hiway!

Maybe the most mustachian behaviors come from the most un-mustachian experiences? Not that we're victims since the bad decisions were ours as well.

Glad things are working out!  I fear our relatively reliable 2002 Sienna is going to need replacement in the next 24-36 months so I am trying to go ahead and lay the groundwork for it's replacement which will most likely be a downsize.

How is the credit card looking?  Are you carrying a balance again?  If so, your spending/saving may still be out of whack.  It might be worth doing a full blown case study if you haven't already!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »

I just bought a 2005 Mazda 3 hatchback, manual transmission.  I get 30 mpg, not 40.  Lots of city driving, but just thought I'd add a random data point to the conversation.  I think it looks great, but style is a personal thing.  :)

I had a 2005 as well and yeah, 29 mpg.  But the newer model with SkyActiv gets 40 highway.  I looked at before buying my Honda CR-Z, but it seemed like the interior quality had gone downhill compared to my '05.  Of course it wasn't as fun to drive as the 2.3 with the manual. 

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2015, 04:14:25 PM »

I had a 2005 as well and yeah, 29 mpg.  But the newer model with SkyActiv gets 40 highway.  I looked at before buying my Honda CR-Z, but it seemed like the interior quality had gone downhill compared to my '05.  Of course it wasn't as fun to drive as the 2.3 with the manual.

We have a 2010 hatchback and a 2013 sedan, both with manuals. The 2010 gets about 28 city, 34 highway. The 2013 is a delight and joy and gets about 33 city, 42 highway. The 2010 also eats tires, so if someone is considering a newer one of these, I'd recommend going 13 or newer.

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »
Wrangler sold this morning.  Focus hatch bought this afternoon. Wife busy playing with Sync system right now. And since I hear publicly stating your goals helps motivate you, I am a bike commuter starting tomorrow. Haven't figured Detroit winters out yet but tomorrow should be 85f.

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »
Btw my coworkers think I'm crazy. 😄

Cassie Hill 2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2015, 05:29:09 PM »
Go 80westy!

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2015, 05:40:08 PM »

Btw my coworkers think I'm crazy.

This is how you know you're doing something right!

80Westy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2015, 05:47:18 PM »
Yourusernamehere,

I was just thinking the same thing. Need to use their disapproval as a motivator and reinforcer. They already thought I was nuts for bringing my sack lunch to taco bell with them.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2015, 08:50:49 PM »
Welcome to the fellowship! My coworkers think I'm crazy as well. Hope the ride goes well.

danny9m

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »
If she doesn't work now would be the time to get her started
Does she work, now is the time if she doesn't. My wife thinks my daughter can't live without riding lessons. She is going to be getting a job soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk