Author Topic: Help Me Brainstorm Alternative Living Situations  (Read 1834 times)

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
Help Me Brainstorm Alternative Living Situations
« on: October 26, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »
My Situation: My wife and I (and now a baby) have been Permanent Travelers for over 4 years now. We started out traveling pretty extensively, but have slowed down our pace gradually and naturally over time. Now with a baby, we're ready to settle down some, but not completely. I think our ideal would be somewhere we could live 6-8 months a year, while traveling the other 4-6 months.

Some ideas we have, in no particular order:
1. Buy an extremely cheap house (which would just sit empty 6 months year)
2. Rent an extremely cheap apartment (which would also sit empty, but at least with lower maintenance, etc. costs)
3. Buy a more expensive house somewhere that we could rent out on AirBnB, etc. when we're not there
4. Get an RV or Trailer
5. Continue our current trend, getting longer and longer rentals, but don't get anything 'permanent'

Any other ideas? Or thoughts on these ideas?

carozy

• Bristles
Re: Help Me Brainstorm Alternative Living Situations
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »
I think the answer depends on all your preferences.  Since you travel a lot, maybe an RV, trailer, or Sprinter van would be ideal...although some might be too small for your taste.  Some tiny homes are large enough to fit a family and the ones on wheels could travel with you...although the problem with them seems to be finding a place to park them.

I don't see why you couldn't rent out a cheap house also?  Or at least do Airbnb..maybe you could pay someone to manage that while you're away.

Which of these choices appeal to you?

Also, there's a website called Help My Decision which may be helpful.  Just google Help My Decision

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 03:07:41 PM »
Buy a multi unit, preferably one with a great unit and a not as good unit. Live in the not as good unit, rent out the great unit, make money, and don’t feel bad about leaving it empty while you’re gone.

For example - an up/down double with finished attic.  The up unit would be more desirable, with 3+br and less noise.  Downstairs unit would rent for 50-70% of top unit. Live there.

I don’t mean for you to live in the dump, but there are a lot of multi units that aren’t all equitable in size per unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WanderLucky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 11:04:54 PM »
I have friends who've been able to get caretaking jobs for nice vacation houses in the off season. In one particular case it meant living off the grid in a remote area, which is probably not everyone's cup of tea, but they loved it.